cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Your "Justification" applying for that card?

tag
travisr0
Contributor

Your "Justification" applying for that card?

For many of us including myself that are guilty of coming out of the garden early or wanting that new card for whatever reason can spark some interesting debates. Why? Well there are many of us that a few to many cards and do not utilize many of them which is fine, however, it begs the question what is driving us to go for that next card? What do you tell yourself in why you need that nice new card and will you use it?

What is your justification?

Some Examples: Travel rewards?

Higher credit limits?

total amount of credit? if so why? how much is enough?

Gas rewards?

Cash advances?

Experian 756 // Equifax 764 // Transunion 759 // AAoA 5.7 years

Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Your "Justification" applying for that card?

@travisr0 wrote:

For many of us including myself that are guilty of coming out of the garden early or wanting that new card for whatever reason can spark some interesting debates. Why? Well there are many of us that a few to many cards and do not utilize many of them which is fine, however, it begs the question what is driving us to go for that next card? What do you tell yourself in why you need that nice new card and will you use it? What is your justification? Some Examples: Travel rewards? Higher credit limits? total amount of credit? if so why? how much is enough? Gas rewards? Cash advances?

For me personally, I like diversification of my cards just in case something happens.  Also, my applications are strategically timed thus if I am going to be travelling or need it specifically for something else or for business.  The rewards are just the icing on the cake.

I just don't get a card just because I feel I will get approved.

Message 2 of 24
creditconcept
Regular Contributor

It was there....I didn't have it....!

Message 3 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

My list of needed cards is getting smaller.  I can't justify having 10 or more cards, but instead having 3-4 cards that I use regularly and give me decent rewards in the process. 1 5% cash back card (already covered with Chase Freedom) one Gas and Groceries card (Amex BCP?), one Travel Card (CSP) would probably be enough.  

Message 4 of 24
travisr0
Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

My list of needed cards is getting smaller.  I can't justify having 10 or more cards, but instead having 3-4 cards that I use regularly and give me decent rewards in the process. 1 5% cash back card (already covered with Chase Freedom) one Gas and Groceries card (Amex BCP?), one Travel Card (CSP) would probably be enough.  

I definitely agree with you on this. I prefer to only use 2-3 cards for the rewards and everyday use than many. Although this isn't the sentiment of everyone else makes sense for me as your credit ages and diversifies having the enormous CL doesn't help as much. Will get rid of a few while still maintaining 800+ score.

Experian 756 // Equifax 764 // Transunion 759 // AAoA 5.7 years

Message 5 of 24
happypill
Valued Contributor

First, I'm trying to set up a team of 3-4 cards that will allow me to get a high rate of rewards in the areas where I spend the most (gas, groceries, travel, dining, amazon).  After that probably try to have a few cards that help with utilization (lowes, high limit CU, etc.).  A third group would be cards where the annual rewards pay for themselves, like certain hotel cards or airline cards where the annual bonus exceeds the annual fee.  Once those are all in place, it would just be churning cards for points.

I hope to reach the final step in my plan in the next 12-24 months.  Will take some planning and some gardening.

Message 6 of 24
elim
Senior Contributor

bonus

Message 7 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

I guess for me, I want to buy a house in 2 years. I went from having zero credit to about 40k in credit lines in about one year. Everything I am doing is for the end goal of getting a house, emergencies, home improvements etc etc etc... Plus cash back or rewards on spending categories.

I might buy the house I am actually living in...my mothers house. So she can have the money if we need to start medical treatments, while still living here. I just thougt of it last night...

Some people a way further along in there credit journey, don't need anything else to build a strong credit file and are simply in it for the bonus'. Thats cool too. Everyone is here for their own reasons. I personally was petrified of credit. I don't think I would have ever warmed up to credit if i never had the knowledge shared on these forums. 

Message 8 of 24
jbsea
Established Contributor

Well I have my end goal cards that I want.  Some may be up to 2 years away.  so some cards that I will get inbetween that time will be to just to get me in with that ccc. 

Amex Gold / Amex Platinum / Amex Marriott Brilliant/ Amex BCP/ Capital One Venture (AU) / Capital One Savor One/ Discover / NFCU Cash Rewards / BOA Unlimited Cash Rewards / NFCU GO Rewards (AU) / Amex EDP / NFCU Flagship Rewards / Chase Freedom (AU) / Capital One QuickSilver / Citi Costco (AU) / Amex Delta
Message 9 of 24
JSS3
Valued Contributor

-rewards
-app/approval/new card- high
-establishing a long relationship with banks
-utilization
Message 10 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.