cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Your "Justification" applying for that card?

tag
TheGardner
Valued Contributor

Re: Your "Justification" applying for that card?

Thicker file mainly. So when a new special card you pass up comes along your AAOA is not effected. Of course you need to build a thicker file quickly so they all age together.
If anyone needs me I will be In The Garden. Goal Score: 760 for all in 2015.
Current FICO Scores EX: 715 EQ: 756 TU: 762
Last APP April 21, 2015.
Victim of The great AMEX HP heist of Dec 1st, 2nd and 3rd of 2014.
Message 21 of 24
EdMan63
Established Contributor

I've never been a big credit user but after experiencing a rough patch a few years ago I ve decided to take a proactive approach to managing my credit. I really needed to add some depth to my file so I just added a couple of cards and only plan to add 2 more long term. I only feel I need 4-5 strong cards that match my lifestyle. I will not add cards simply because I can. They need to provide a benefit to my everyday life. 

Message 22 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@TheGardner wrote:
Thicker file mainly. So when a new special card you pass up comes along your AAOA is not effected. Of course you need to build a thicker file quickly so they all age together.

^This

Message 23 of 24
chwebb1
Established Contributor

For me:

First card (2009 I think) - I should probably start building credit ($500 CU card with a cosigner, since closed).

Second card - 2012 - The bank basically begged me to take it. But it got me in the door with AMEX, Discover, and Barclays. (BB&T, since closed)

Third card - June 2013 - I wanted to get in with AMEX, so I did (AMEX BCE)

Fourth Card - June 2013 - I wanted to get rid of my CU card and the BB&T card, so I apped for the Barclaycard Ring.

Fifth Card - August 2014 - I wanted to get in with Discover

Sixth Card - September 2013 - The Barclaycard Ring's CL was too low for me to use as an everyday card (started at $1000), so I applied for the Citi Dividend (switched to the Double Cash later).

Seventh card - December 2013 - Wanted to get the BoA BBR for the free $120/year, so I did.

Eighth card - January 2014 - Got AMEX Blue Sky for backdating purposes.

Ninth card - February 2014 - Wanted to move my Citi spending over to another bank after bad experiences with Citi customer service, so I got the BoA Cash Rewards card to mostly replace the Citi card.

Tenth card - June 2014 - Barclays Sallie Mae - Amazing rewards, been wanting for a while.

In the future, the only cards I can forsee wanting are the Chase Freedom for rewards, and cards with 2-3 credit unions in case banks melt down again. I am very concerned about my overexposure to big banks, and CUs didn't seem to CLD/close accounts during the credit crisis, so I want to diversify. I want to get a card with DCU (I've had deposit accounts there since early 2014), and UFCU (low APR) and Andrews CU (Chip+Pin + low APR). I don't forsee wanting any more credit cards after those 4. And I may consider closing Citi altogether as well (instead of just mostly SDing it).

photo NUS000000180_160X101_STRAIGHT.gif photo DISCOVER_IT_LG.gif photo card_1.png photo night-launch.png photo NUS000000012_160X101_STRAIGHT.gif photo bankamericard-better-balance-rewards-credit-card-small.png
$15000 ........... $12500 ............ $11750 ............ $10000 ........... $9400 ............ $5000 ............. $5000
In the Garden until at least November 2015
Message 24 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.