cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Your spouse/SO and rotating categories...good match or no?

tag
delaney1
Established Contributor

Your spouse/SO and rotating categories...good match or no?

Just in the last two weeks, 400 points I don't get because hubby used the QS instead of Freedom. If I don't remind him, then chances are high that he won't remember. I don't think he's cut out for rotating categories. Anybody else have a spouse/SO who has difficulty remembering what card to use? Any tips?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Re: Your spouse/SO and rotating categories...good match or no?

@delaney1 wrote:

Just in the last two weeks, 400 points I don't get because hubby used the QS instead of Freedom. If I don't remind him, then chances are high that he won't remember. I don't think he's cut out for rotating categories. Anybody else have a spouse/SO who has difficulty remembering what card to use? Any tips?

All I can say is that for the sake of the relationship I wouldn't try to push the issue too hard. At the end of the day you are not talking about life changing money, 4 bucks every 2 weeks, 8 bucks a month. You can easily save 8 dollars a month by cutting out a Starbucks run or two. The point is that yes, rewards are nice, but people vary in how much they do or don't care about them. An average of 2 bucks a week just may not be that important to some spouses, and if someone doesn't find something important, it's hard to convince them otherwise.

Some people have in the past mentioned putting post it notes on the cards, or notes in one's phone, etc. My thing is that once the user gets to the point of looking through the cards at the notes, they have shown effort, and like I said, if the "care" isn't there, the person won't go through the effort to check before making the transaction.

I'd just have your hubby stick with the QS, solid return on all purchases and you can use the cash for anything, instead of trying to force him to do things he's not very interested in. You'll end up frustrated. Rewards should be fun, not stressful for anyone.

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

My DH is the same way.  It's just simpler to let him use the QS and be through.  As he says, it's all free money anyway.  He doesn't even remember to activate the 5% categories on his own Freedom.  If I don't put a different card in his hand, he's gonna use whatever is convenient at the time.

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I find it best to rotate spouses at least quarterly.

I admit, I may not have completely understood the question.  Smiley Wink

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

OP same issue here wtih DH...I combatted it with loading the walla.by app to his iPhone. I tell him you check that app or you fully responsible out of your income, whatever you charge...lol it worked....I abuse the app myself..since I have a habit of working more so of just keeping ultilzation low on a cards...I set mines to smart choice which balances CL with interest rate, any bonus and any category rotation automatically.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.