ZYNC Gone???

tag
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

Re: ZYNC Gone???

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@mrcrush20 wrote:

Just got off the phone with rep... Said no longer taking apps for the card as of today... Had no info on if current account holders were going to pc. Also said that current accounts holders can not add or change packs. 

I've been waiting for someone to post something from an Amex rep to get a sense of the truth before posting.  I understand why Amex introduced the Zync (to appeal to credit newcomers, hoping they'll become loyal Amex life members, eventually upgrading to another charge card), but I'm not sad to see the card go and I don't think it was really working.  I also think it was really undercutting Amex's image with it's lax underwriting critieria, especially for the counter-offers; an Amex with a $200 limit, really? 

If they had expected people to "upgrade" at some point, then how come they never actually allowed cardmembers to "upgrade" from the Zync. Rather, they made you apply for a totally new account/product.

Personally, I app'd for the Zync two years ago because the low AF and packs appealed to my lifestyle at the time. I did not know about underwriting and all that jazz at that point. Their advertising paid off as it appealed to me better than the others.

I think they should have re-vamped the benefits of the platinum card rather than cut the Zync card. Either that, or they have bigger plans for all the remaining charge products minus the Zync. The high AF versus other cards currently available are often hard to justify for people looking to open new CC's. The Amex shopping mall has been down for quite some time as well. Maybe we are about to see some big changes!

If they increased the point earning on the platinum to 1.25-1.5 points per dollar, I'd actualy go for that. That's unlikely though, since most people with an Amex plat keep it for the benefits and put their actual spending on another card (like the PRG). It's a way for Amex to get a 2nd AF from you, even though your total spending power won't likely change.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 61 of 98
Cdnewmanpac
Established Contributor

I very much doubt it had anything to do with the zync's impact on amex's reputation. Hard to square that with their ongoing push into prepaid. My guess is that the zync was pulling apps away from green, since it was cheaper and had better reward multipliers. I think the difference between mr and mre was lost on most people. I havent gone a week since I got mine without someone mentioning they had never seen one before. Hard to believe amex was worried about the impact on their reputation of a card very few people outside this community had ever heard of.
In wallet: Ink Plus 10k, AMEX TE 25k. In bag: CSP 16k, USAA WMC 15k, Hyatt 13k, United MPE 12k, AMEX HHonors 3k. In SD: Cap 1 QS 5k, Discover IT 7k. FICO 08 says my EQ is now 844, was 510 in 2010.
Message 62 of 98
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't hold anything against people who took advantage of the Zync card.  It may be a good card for many people, but just because it has been a good card for you doesn't mean that it was good for Amex.

I too would like to see some changes to the other charge cards, like perhaps waiving forex fees for Green and Gold and/or introducing chip technology.  I think the Platinum has pretty good benefits, some extra rewards would be nice.  Maybe not bonus categories, but like 1.25 points per dollar instead of 1.

Message 63 of 98
jamie123
Valued Contributor

@mrcrush20 wrote:

I just want to take a moment to point out to every zync card holder, you are now an account holder of the most exclusive amex card known to man. Even more exclusive then the amex black card, that is still issued. 

The brighter side of things!!

I do think that it was meant to be a bridge into more profitable card for amex and account holders were not making the change. I am happy I got the card when I did, ill ask to keep the card when I do upgrade.  

I like how you think! The longer we keep the Zyncs the more exclusive the club!

When can we start bragging about having an AMEX rewards card that only has a $25 AF?

Starting Score: EQ 653 6/21/12
Current Score: EQ 817 3/10/20 - EX 820 3/13/20 - TU 825 3/03/20
Message 64 of 98
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I don't hold anything against people who took advantage of the Zync card.  It may be a good card for many people, but just because it has been a good card for you doesn't mean that it was good for Amex.

I too would like to see some changes to the other charge cards, like perhaps waiving forex fees for Green and Gold and/or introducing chip technology.  I think the Platinum has pretty good benefits, some extra rewards would be nice.  Maybe not bonus categories, but like 1.25 points per dollar instead of 1.

Amex has already said that they will be introducing EMV chips to some of their cards, although they haven't specified which ones yet. I don't think they gave a timetable on that either, but I'm assuming it will be within the next year or two.

What I would really like to see is the forex fee waived on the SPG. The fact that you get slapped with a forex charge when using the Amex SPG at actual SPG properties outside the US is absurd.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 65 of 98
GlocksAndCredit
Regular Contributor

Sooooooooooo people with the 200/500 (Myself) aren't in with AMEX, and the 200/500 is Worthless? Lol. Just sayin'....................

CSP $9500, CapitalOne VentureOne Sig Visa $8000 Chase Freedom Sig Visa $5000, Citi ThankYou Preferred Sig Visa $5000, Amazon Store Card $5000, Discover IT $4800, CapitalOne Quick Silver MasterCard $4000, Fidelity AMEX $4000, Sallie Mae Mastercard $3300, Hilton Honors Sig Visa $3300, Citi Double Cash $2700, SunTrust Cash Rewards $2500, Citi Simplicity Visa $2300, AMEX BCE $2000, AMEX Everyday $2000, AMEX Delta SkyMiles $2000, Amazon Reward Visa $1800, BP VIsa $1800, Barclays Apple Visa $1700, Suncoast FCU $1000, Target REDCard $900

Current Scores: EQ 727 (Fico), EX 735 (Fico) **In the Garden unti....forever.
Message 66 of 98
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditScholar wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Amex has already said that they will be introducing EMV chips to some of their cards, although they haven't specified which ones yet. I don't think they gave a timetable on that either, but I'm assuming it will be within the next year or two.

What I would really like to see is the forex fee waived on the SPG. The fact that you get slapped with a forex charge when using the Amex SPG at actual SPG properties outside the US is absurd.

Absolutely agree about the SPG.  That's good to know about the chips, hadn't heard that.

Message 67 of 98
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

@mrcrush20 wrote:

Just got off the phone with rep... Said no longer taking apps for the card as of today... Had no info on if current account holders were going to pc. Also said that current accounts holders can not add or change packs. 

Thank you for making the call! Smiley Happy

Best purpose for me is backdating. I'm not thrilled with the rewards, having had the card since Feb. Still don't have enough to get anything worthwhile.

It is a cool, unique-looking card, though. Hopefully they'll just leave it as is for existing cardmembers.

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 68 of 98
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Deleted again, it's all been said previously re: Zync.

        
Message 69 of 98
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@collinsridge wrote:

Sooooooooooo people with the 200/500 (Myself) aren't in with AMEX, and the 200/500 is Worthless? Lol. Just sayin'....................

As it stands currently, yes I don't think you're worth Amex's time. This isn't personal, but given how much people with a hard limit are spending compared to their traditional clientele it's not even close. That doesn't mean that you can't become a better customer for Amex in the future, but in your current state they'd be better off leaving you to grow your profile on someone else's time. Then you can come back when you're more established.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
Message 70 of 98
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.