Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ZYNC Gone???

tag
nuggets321
Frequent Contributor

Re: ZYNC Gone???

Referecne taht screen shot.... isnt that it over on  the far left side of the pic ? That screen shot is for someone who already has a Zync account. IMHO I dont see them dropping an entire card program with all that it takes to get it implemented and marketed ....? but then again who knows (It is amex after all... the kings of confusing us)

TU-721 (MortgagePull) EQ- 697(MortgagePull ) EXP 693(MortgagePull) FWEB 24,2015
My Wallet : Dicover More 35,500 CL -Amex Zync NPSL -WellsFargoRewards4800 - -CapOne 3000CL -GEMBWalMart 5000CL - Zales 4000CL-Kays 2900--Macys 5000CL /SSFCU 5000CL / CitiBank Diamond Pref 15000CL - CHASE Freedom 13500CL -Lowes 10,000 CL - BBuyStoreCard 10,000CL Sears Store Card (Citi) 3000 - Firestone CFNB 1400 Toyota Financial $35,000 Auto -2200DiscountTire(GECRB) Citi TY Preferred 8100CL - Chase Slate$4000-BofA15000-ToyotaRewardsVisa$10,700 -BofA$8500 AMEX BCE 9,500
Message 81 of 98
SubseaEngineer
Valued Member

I think the idea for the Zync is great, but the execution is really horrible.

They have packages that are only usable to small geographic sections of the population; for example the one that is for "green" purchases, with all the eligible merchants being in or near Santa Barbara, California.  I live in Houston.

I think if they improved the package options, say for example a package for gasoline, a package for bill pay, things that a larger population will actually use, I think that could be more marketable.

Message 82 of 98
jsickz32
Valued Contributor

If you want more points for gasoline get the goldpr..if you dont wanna pay the af to have a amex card for gas then use another card simple.
Amex BCE (2500) / Amex SPG (4000) / Amex GoldPR / Merrill+ Visa siggy (5000) / BofA Amex (6000) / Bofa cash rewards (5000) / BofA Privileges Cash Rewards (5000) / Citi Forward (4400) / Citi DP (2000) / Chase Freedom (4000) / Chase CSP (5000) / Chase Hyatt (5000) / Discover IT (1700) / FNBO AMEX (3600) / NFCU cashRewards Visa signature (15000) / NFCU Flagship Visa signature (12500) / NFCU Navcheck (5000) / Nordstrom (500) / MetroCU Visa Elite (5000) / Walmart (4500) / Kays Jewerels (6600) / Kohls (300) / Macys Platinum (2500) / DCU platinum Visa (17500) / Citizens bank cash back (1100) / Bill Me Later (1631) / PayPal Smart connect (2200) / BestBuy store card (2000)
Message 83 of 98
Cdnewmanpac
Established Contributor

I can't believe nobody has brought up the biggest implication of discontinuing the zync: no more endless discussions about whether or not getting a zync helps in getting a revolver! How will these forums survive? Hopefully, endless discussions about capital one CLI will take up the slack.

In wallet: Ink Plus 10k, AMEX TE 25k. In bag: CSP 16k, USAA WMC 15k, Hyatt 13k, United MPE 12k, AMEX HHonors 3k. In SD: Cap 1 QS 5k, Discover IT 7k. FICO 08 says my EQ is now 844, was 510 in 2010.
Message 84 of 98
TheConductor
Established Contributor

They have packages that are only usable to small geographic sections of the population; for example the one that is for "green" purchases, with all the eligible merchants being in or near Santa Barbara, California. I live in Houston.

Hmm...perhaps it's been a while since you looked at the list, or maybe you're in a Houston other than Houston, TX?  Looks to me like Houston, TX is well-served, much like Austin. Several local coffeeshops, green grocers, and green retailers, plus some national chains like Chipotle, REI, Whole Foods, American Apparel, etc.

http://www.greenopia.com/amex/amex2.aspx?section=restaurants&neighborhood=15&city=Houston%2c+TX

I think if they improved the package options, say for example a package for gasoline, a package for bill pay, things that a larger population will actually use, I think that could be more marketable.

Gasoline rewards are easy to find. I wouldn't scoff at them adding a Gas Pack, but it certainly wasn't a necessary factor.  What I like about it is how complementary the rewards are to the ones on my BoA Cash Rewards (2% groceries, 3% gas).  How many cards out there have 2% at department stores, 2% on paying your cable & phone bills, 2% on Greenling delivering fresh locally-grown vegetables to your door?  

Personally, I think the smartest thing they did with the card is to target a different population instead of a larger population.  There's value in the long tail. Maybe it didn't work out the way they expected it to, but I hope that won't keep them from continuing to experiment.  Do we really need any more 1/2/3 grocery/gas cards?

Starting: EQ 622 (myFICO 7/7/12), EX 696 (TU FAKO 8/14/12), TU 621 (CK TransRisk 7/24/12), Total CL $1k on 2 TLs
Current: EQ 709 (CCT 2/4/15), EX 704 (CCT 2/4/15) , TU 702 (CCT 2/4/15), Total CL $110.3k on 14 TLs Goal: 740+ x3
My Wallet: Amex BCP $30k, Chase United Explorer $16k, Amex SPG $13.5k, Barclaycard Ring MC $12.5k, Chase CSP VS $12.2k, Discover it $10.5k, C1 Venture VS $6.5k, Chase Slate $3.5k, Amex Hilton Surpass $2k, Barclaycard Apple V $2k, Chase Freedom V $1100, BoA Cash Rewards V $500, Citi BestBuy $500
My Loans: Prosper $25k/36mo, Prosper $17k/36mo
My Business: Chase Ink VS $5k, Amex BRG NPSL (> 10k),
Message 85 of 98
TheConductor
Established Contributor

I can't believe nobody has brought up the biggest implication of discontinuing the zync: no more endless discussions about whether or not getting a zync helps in getting a revolver! How will these forums survive? Hopefully, endless discussions about capital one CLI will take up the slack.

HAHAHAHA!   Official winner of the thread.  Smiley LOL

Starting: EQ 622 (myFICO 7/7/12), EX 696 (TU FAKO 8/14/12), TU 621 (CK TransRisk 7/24/12), Total CL $1k on 2 TLs
Current: EQ 709 (CCT 2/4/15), EX 704 (CCT 2/4/15) , TU 702 (CCT 2/4/15), Total CL $110.3k on 14 TLs Goal: 740+ x3
My Wallet: Amex BCP $30k, Chase United Explorer $16k, Amex SPG $13.5k, Barclaycard Ring MC $12.5k, Chase CSP VS $12.2k, Discover it $10.5k, C1 Venture VS $6.5k, Chase Slate $3.5k, Amex Hilton Surpass $2k, Barclaycard Apple V $2k, Chase Freedom V $1100, BoA Cash Rewards V $500, Citi BestBuy $500
My Loans: Prosper $25k/36mo, Prosper $17k/36mo
My Business: Chase Ink VS $5k, Amex BRG NPSL (> 10k),
Message 86 of 98
RockinRay
Valued Contributor

I think it is too bad to see this card go. IMO, it was a great way to get your foot in the door with Amex. And, with history, it would pave the way to some of their higher tier cards.

Ray

** Every Card has a Job, and Every Card does its Job **
Message 87 of 98
espnjunkie
Established Contributor

http://creditcardforum.com/american-express/1105-american-express-zync-card-review-important-warning...

I'm sure this has been posted before, but I think it's a fair assessment of the Zync card. There is no signup bonus or waived first year annual fee for the Zync, and to make the card worthwhile you have to add packs to it which boost the cost significantly. MRE points cannot be converted 1:1 for airline miles like MR points either. There care caps on all bonus categoeies as well. When digging at the Zync rewards you really notice how they fall short of other Amex products. By the time you add restaurant pack (25.00), go pack (20.00), etc. the Zync costs nearly as much as Green.

Yes, on this board the card was very popular, but in the general public it was not at all. I have never seen anyone use the Zync card before. In all honest, Amex charge products are not ment to be for entry level or rebuilding. Charging enough to make the fees and rewards worthwhile, as well as paying in full each month often isn't conducive to people who are borderline for a prime card.

In response to RockinRay, I understand people might be saddened to see the opportunity for an "in" with amex leave, but I do wonder how many people who were offered a hard limit Zync ever became an amex revolver cardholder? Getting a Zync w/hard limit is one thing, a revolver has much stricter requirements. I'd like to see Amex tweak their chrage productsa to make them more appealing and rewarding. Amex touts travel rewards so much, yet still continues to hammer it's customers with forex fees, even on the 175.00 AF PRG card! I feel that they should look into having charge cards have no annual fees. Even my starter Capital One card doesn't charge forex fees...

“The real measure of your wealth is how much you’d be worth if you lost all your money.” ~Unknown
Citi Prestige World Elite Mastercard ($35,000.00), Merrill+ Visa Signature ($25,000.00), Amex BCP ($29,700.00), Amex Green (NPSL), Capital One Quicksilver World Mastercard ($10,000.00), Chase Ink Business Bold (NPSL)
TU-778 (12/03/2014))
EX (Plus) - 777 (10/21/2013)
EQ - 735 (April 2013)
Message 88 of 98
CS800
Super Contributor

@Cdnewmanpac wrote:

Now it can change to 'Will getting a prepaid AMEX help me get my foot in the door'

Message 89 of 98
dude11
Regular Contributor

@CS800 wrote:

@Cdnewmanpac wrote:

Now it can change to 'Will getting a prepaid AMEX help me get my foot in the door'

HAHAHAHA no doubt!!! Actually there are a few posts already about this. It's funny though.

Message 90 of 98
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.