Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zero CC balance helpful?

tag
mbass18
Established Member

Zero CC balance helpful?

I just recently paid off two credit cards in order to clear up some debt.  Would it be wise for me to close them (one is a dept. store card and one is a chase card)?  Would it look better to keep the cards on my report with a zero balance, or does it really matter?  I cut up the cards a long time ago so I would not use them, so I would have to call and request new cards anyway.  I opted to pay them off instead of settling... didn't wanna have that on my report.  I have one Discover card that I can keep that is used for bills and such (which I pay off monthly).  Any advice would be really helpful!  Thanks Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Zero CC balance helpful?

Keep them open and active as long as possible.I would call and request new cards to be sent out...

Message 2 of 5
FocusOnFICO
Regular Contributor

Carter's advice is right on.  It would be helpful to use them for a charge every 1-3 months (that is already budgeted) and pay the balance in full well ahead of the statement cut date.  This will keep them active and help your FICO score in the util area.

Starting Score: TU 766 EQ 788
Current Score: TU 788 EQ 811
Goal Score: TU 800 EQ 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

+1 for keeping them open as long as possible.
Message 4 of 5
mbass18
Established Member

Will do. Thanks so much for the help!

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.