cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zero Interest Period / Statement Cut - When to PIF?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Zero Interest Period / Statement Cut - When to PIF?

Looking for some advice for when I need to pay in full on my DoubleCash.

My zero interest period expires on 7/29/2016.  My statements will cut 7/7/2016 with a due date of 8/3/2016 and 8/7/2016 with a due date of 9/3/2016.

I have approximately $1,500 on the card right now as of my 6/7/2016 statement that is due 7/3/2016.  I will pay $800 on 7/3/2016, leaving $700.  I will have about $100 additional spend between  6/8 and 7/7 which will be due 8/3/2016.  I had planned to pay another $800 on 7/23/2016 in advance of the 7/29/2016 expiration of my zero interest period.  Is this correct to avoid the interest?  Or do I need to pay the full $1,500 on 7/3/2016?

Thanks for any help.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
RonM21
Valued Contributor

Re: Zero Interest Period / Statement Cut - When to PIF?

Good question. To play it safe, I'd pay it by 7/3. But to even be more sure, I'd just call them to find out.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 2 of 5
Friarchuck
Established Member

You may have already figured this out by now but I spoke with a CSR concerning my 0% promotional period which ends at a similar time to yours. Basically think of the entire interest free period as one giant statement that closes on the specific date, in your case 7/23. Any balance left on the card after this date from purchases made before this date are subject to your normal interest rate. Purchases made after this date will fall into your grace period unless you are carrying a balance. For your promotional period, while nothing is technically due on 7/23 you will want whatever balance you have on the card paid by then to avoid interest.
Message 3 of 5
Friarchuck
Established Member

Shoot, I meant to write to think of your promo period as one big statement whose due date, not closing date, is 7/23.
Message 4 of 5
CountryLivin
Valued Contributor

As long as it is all paid by the 23rd, you are good to go!......I always try to pay the day before it is due.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.