cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zero balance + zero activity = Account closure?

tag
WLRK11
Regular Contributor

Zero balance + zero activity = Account closure?

How often do you use your cards? Right now, I've setup a small monthly reoccuring charge on every credit card I have (except Amazon Store Card), but I think that's lowering my score. Plus, I really don't want to have a balance on every card. So, how long can I have a zero balance and no activity in the statement period before a lender will close the account? 

Does anybody have any personal examples or examples on myFICO (include the link, please!)

Age: 20s | AAoA: 2 yrs | FICO Scores: 700s | Inq: EX: ?, EQ: ?, TR: ? | GARDENING AS OF 06/2014

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Zero balance + zero activity = Account closure?

@WLRK11 wrote:

How often do you use your cards? Right now, I've setup a small monthly reoccuring charge on every credit card I have (except Amazon Store Card), but I think that's lowering my score. Plus, I really don't want to have a balance on every card. So, how long can I have a zero balance and no activity in the statement period before a lender will close the account? 

Does anybody have any personal examples or examples on myFICO (include the link, please!)

It varies a lot by issuer.   The T&Cs of some Barclays cards give a very short time (3-4 months) in which no activity may cause them to close the card, but don't know if they actually do.   Some store cards also have short triggers.   On the other side, I had cards unused for three or so years without a problem.   And my fave, Amalgamated Bank, who decided not to give me a renewal card (due to lack of use) but have kept the account open.  So for 4 years, I haven't made any purchases because I don't have the card, but it's still going strong!

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@WLRK11 wrote:

Kinda how i let my Tollway pass charge on our Dillards AMEX.

Message 3 of 7
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@WLRK11 wrote:

It varies a lot by issuer.   The T&Cs of some Barclays cards give a very short time (3-4 months) in which no activity may cause them to close the card, but don't know if they actually do.   Some store cards also have short triggers.   On the other side, I had cards unused for three or so years without a problem.   And my fave, Amalgamated Bank, who decided not to give me a renewal card (due to lack of use) but have kept the account open.  So for 4 years, I haven't made any purchases because I don't have the card, but it's still going strong!

Isn't it about time you told them you needed a replacement card, and would also like a credit limit increase and APR reduction? Smiley Wink

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Absolutely agree😊
Message 5 of 7
manyquestions
Established Contributor

I use mine at least once every 12 months. I have not had any closed.  Some say once every six months.  

Message 6 of 7
RaiseMyScoreASAP
Regular Contributor

Giving credit is a business decision. It's not there to pad your utilization. Use it or lose it. If you don't regularly use a card, then you are dead weight. 

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.