cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zero credit history. Banker recommended Chase Freedom, Applied, denied, & denied on recon. What now?

tag
ccnewcc
Established Contributor

Re: Zero credit history. Banker recommended Chase Freedom, Applied, denied, & denied on recon. W

@jsickz32 wrote:
Dont bankers get paid for applications? Also how long you been banking with chase?

Yes.  And for bank accounts and other products and services.  I have a friend who was lied to by a Chase banker, then we learned that he worked on commission, so no wonder.

And ever since then I have always had a bad taste in my mouth about chase.

Message 11 of 21
SnackTrader
Valued Contributor

Re: Zero credit history. Banker recommended Chase Freedom, Applied, denied, & denied on recon. W

I know you feel a large combination of feelings (probably includes some embarrassment) but I think the best advice here is to take some deep breaths and let this one go.  The damage from this situation is minimal, and will be completely eliminated in 2 years (the inquiry). 

Just as any salesman would, this person talked you into doing something that was in their best interest, not yours. While not fair, it's a lesson worth learning for you and may have even steered you towards a better source of information, US!!!

So let's talk about the future: as a credit builder myself, I can tell you that your next year or two will be frustrating, but will end in some fantastic results if you use credit responsibly. Your goals should be to develop a long term plan, and stick to it. The plan should involve getting a starter card, such as a secured card or a student card. Are you a student? Then, you should pay on time for that card EVERY SINGLE MONTH. That ones a no-brainer, but I also think you should consider paying in full to avoid interest charges. That's a little less intuitive but will help your wallet.  Try not to out spend your means.  Then after you have acquired the one or two starter cards (it may take a few denials to get that far) you should sit on your hands for about 6 to 12 months. Then you can start trying for the cards you really want. Once again, there will be some denials, but if you repeat this process every 6 to 12 months and keep paying your bills every single month, there should be nothing but sunshine in your credit future. 

Good luck! And please stick around and read these knowledgeable threads, especially the stickies at the top of the home page. If you have questions, feel free to ask. 

In My Wallet: Amex BCP (12/12) $50,000, Chase Freedom (12/12) $16,500, Cap1 Quicksilver (6/12) $14,000, Barclaycard Rewards (5/13) $10,500, Citi Prestige (4/16) $30,000

Last App: June 27, 2015
Message 12 of 21
jcstarkey8826
Established Contributor

@ccnewcc wrote:

@jsickz32 wrote:
Dont bankers get paid for applications? Also how long you been banking with chase?

Yes.  And for bank accounts and other products and services.  I have a friend who was lied to by a Chase banker, then we learned that he worked on commission, so no wonder.

FYI, I dont know of a bank that doesnt work off commission... It is a business afterall, and sales are the name of the game. Not saying that banker was right, obviously they were completely in the wrong, but Chase doesn't tell their people to lie... some employees abuse their sales by doing dishonorable things to make a sale. Its sad, but Its more the person than the bank, as im sure you can find that type of person at every institution.

In my wallet: Discover it 6800 CL, Capital One Quicksilver Sig 5k CL, Chase Freedom 4k CL, GCU Patinum Visa 1500 CL
Message 13 of 21
SnackTrader
Valued Contributor

@ccnewcc wrote:

@jsickz32 wrote:

Many (but not all) banks give incentives to employees for meeting or exceeding sales targets. Most of the time they start with a reasonable salary as well, so its not necessary for them to sell to EVERY customer that walks in the door, but there is certainly an incentive to sell when they can. Something not everyone knows, but internally many banks refer to their branches as "stores" because that is really where the sales happen. I think one of the biggest problems at the branch level (as many here have pointed out with phone CSRs) is the lack of knowledge. I met a personal banker for a to remain unnamed large institution at a bar last weekend, and he proceeded to tell me that his degree was in public relations and his only other job was working on a farm. While I am sure he is a smart person, his lack of financial experience shocked me considering the reliance others have on his advice every day. So that's something we all will run into in our lives. Our best defense is to be prepared when entering a situation like that, which we do through this forum. 

In My Wallet: Amex BCP (12/12) $50,000, Chase Freedom (12/12) $16,500, Cap1 Quicksilver (6/12) $14,000, Barclaycard Rewards (5/13) $10,500, Citi Prestige (4/16) $30,000

Last App: June 27, 2015
Message 14 of 21
LionLaw
Frequent Contributor

That is pretty crappy of Chase, especially if you've had other accounts with them for a while. I've always banked with Wells Fargo and its various east-coast predecessors. They gave me a great CC offer, even when my credit score was still recovering from some major hits, thanks to my existing relationship with them. You might want to talk with one of their bankers about moving your accounts over, and the possibility of opening a credit card with them.
Message 15 of 21
jsickz32
Valued Contributor

Bofa banker try to do the same with my brother but he asks me before doing anything
Amex BCE (2500) / Amex SPG (4000) / Amex GoldPR / Merrill+ Visa siggy (5000) / BofA Amex (6000) / Bofa cash rewards (5000) / BofA Privileges Cash Rewards (5000) / Citi Forward (4400) / Citi DP (2000) / Chase Freedom (4000) / Chase CSP (5000) / Chase Hyatt (5000) / Discover IT (1700) / FNBO AMEX (3600) / NFCU cashRewards Visa signature (15000) / NFCU Flagship Visa signature (12500) / NFCU Navcheck (5000) / Nordstrom (500) / MetroCU Visa Elite (5000) / Walmart (4500) / Kays Jewerels (6600) / Kohls (300) / Macys Platinum (2500) / DCU platinum Visa (17500) / Citizens bank cash back (1100) / Bill Me Later (1631) / PayPal Smart connect (2200) / BestBuy store card (2000)
Message 16 of 21
ccnewcc
Established Contributor

That's interesting.  I didn't know that most banks have commission/incentives for their employees.  Seems like the wrong thing to do in the banking world.  I mean its not long distance telephone service, it financial decisions that are at risk.  All it takes is one bad apple to spoil the whole bunch.

I guess what I am saying is, if I were a bank, I would want to focus on establishing relationships with my members/customers, rather than "burn and churn" customers.  Quality over quantity.

Maybe CUs are better?  But who knows, they might have commission/incentives for their employees too.

Which, btw OP, a CU is a great way to start a CC with. 

Message 17 of 21
jcstarkey8826
Established Contributor

@ccnewcc wrote:

That's interesting.  I didn't know that most banks have commission/incentives for their employees.  Seems like the wrong thing to do in the banking world.  I mean its not long distance telephone service, it financial decisions that are at risk.  All it takes is one bad apple to spoil the whole bunch.

I guess what I am saying is, if I were a bank, I would want to focus on establishing relationships with my members/customers, rather than "burn and churn" customers.  Quality over quantity.

Maybe CUs are better?  But who knows, they might have commission/incentives for their employees too.

I thought the same thing of CUs, but if you search for jobs at these banks and CUs you will see they are seeking sales people. This is the reason I left the branches and moved to operations as of march 31st 2013!! haha

In my wallet: Discover it 6800 CL, Capital One Quicksilver Sig 5k CL, Chase Freedom 4k CL, GCU Patinum Visa 1500 CL
Message 18 of 21
jcstarkey8826
Established Contributor

@jcstarkey8826 wrote:

@ccnewcc wrote:

I thought the same thing of CUs, but if you search for jobs at these banks and CUs you will see they are seeking sales people. This is the reason I left the branches and moved to operations as of march 31st 2013!! haha

just a p.s. I started as a teller, went to teller supervisor, financial sales, to asst. manager, to financial consultant... it has all been sales. Im done with it and started seeking jobs elsewhere, away from the customer base and sales.

Thanks to myfico sparking my interest in credit, i'll be starting as an analyst soon with my current company. Moving to a new state to do so, but that is how much I hate the sales aspect with banks. I find if you are good to the customer, the customer is good to you. That is why I was able to be successful.

Message 19 of 21
ukimafija
Regular Contributor

You can't get the Freedom without at least a year of solid hitstory  or it is very hard. What you could do is apply for a Capital One Cash Rewards for Newcomers   or BankAmericard Cash Rewards™ Credit Card for Students         , they are both good cards that are gonna build you some history and then you can ask for limits increase and/ or product change later and add more prime cards...Until then get  these  cards, pay them on time and keep utilization below 20%, 6 to 12 months, you'll have score in the 700's

BOA Cash Rewards Visa Sig. 12K; BOA Travel Rewards Visa Sig 5K, US Bank Cash+ 11.5K, AMEX BCE 6200, AMEX BLUE Sky 7K, Chase Freedom Visa Sig. 5400, Fort Knox FCU Visa Platinum 2500; CAP ONE Cash Rewards WORLD MC 5K

Starting Score: 580
Current Score: 747
Goal Score: 800+

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.