Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zync 500 hard limit

tag
dougie109
Established Member

Zync 500 hard limit

Hi guys,

I have had my amex zync for a little over two years with a hard limit. I recently tried my luck for the blue cash and was refused due to the inq that i had. I have spoken to executive office and also to a credit rep and both have told me that the zync can not be changed in for another product and i have done some research online and found that most people with the amex zync are having better luck cancelling them and then reapply for them after 3 months. Can anyone tell me if they have had any success with this??

the score they came back with for my blue cash was 700.

Thanks Douglas 

In My Wallet:
| Chase Sapphire Preferred (01/2014) | Penfed Platinum Cash preferred (01/2014 | NFCU cashRewards (01/2014 | Citi Diamond Preferred (01/2014 | Walmart Discover (01/2014 | Bank Of Americard (04/2012) | Capital One Quicksilver Visa (08/2010) | Capital One Quicksilver MasterCard (12/2010) | Amex Zync (04/2011) | Chase Freedom (11/2011) | Discover more (12/2011) |
Transunion 720 Experian 728 Equafax 704
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Luscher
Valued Contributor

Re: Zync 500 hard limit

If you cancel the Zync you can't get it back because it is not offered anymore. I want one tho!
CHASE FREEDOM | AMEX BCE | | BOFA REWARDS | CITI TYP | Quicksilver | DISCOVER IT | Sallie Mae | CHASE CSP
--------$32,000-------------$30,000-----------$30,000-----------$30,000-----$13,000---------$18,200----------$15,000---------$6,500----

FICO - TU: 780 EX: 784 EQ: 781
Message 2 of 5
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Luscher wrote:
If you cancel the Zync you can't get it back because it is not offered anymore. I want one tho!

True, but in this case the OP has the riskier of the previous offered Zync product with the HL.  Honestly OP, you decide what's best for you and based on the efforts you've already invested with this product.

IMO, I would close it.   While I'm sure it is nostalgic and unique in nature it doesn't mean you'll have to cut up the card (frame it somewhere if you prefer).  This will open the doors for getting other AMEX products.  I'm sure others can opine on their experiences with this HL product.

Message 3 of 5
Fresh-Start
Frequent Contributor

@dougie109 wrote:

Hi guys,

I have had my amex zync for a little over two years with a hard limit. I recently tried my luck for the blue cash and was refused due to the inq that i had. I have spoken to executive office and also to a credit rep and both have told me that the zync can not be changed in for another product and i have done some research online and found that most people with the amex zync are having better luck cancelling them and then reapply for them after 3 months. Can anyone tell me if they have had any success with this??

the score they came back with for my blue cash was 700.

Thanks Douglas 

Hi OP!,

I had the Zync witht the $500 hard limit also.  I held it for 12 months and attempted to PC when the word got out that AMEX was PCing SOME of the Zync cards, but was denied. I waited another 2-3 months after that and applied for another Amex Charge...denied.  So I decided to close my Zync card because obviously it was not going to get me anywhere with AMEX.  I waited 3 months and applied for the AMEX Green and was approved.  Six months after that I took a chance and applied for the AMEX Delta Gold - Approved, and 7 days after that I applied for the BCE and was approved.  So there CAN be life after the Amex Zync $500 box. 

You have to decide what works for you, but I hope my experience helps you make a decision since I too started with the AMEX Zync $500 hard limit.  Good Luck!

Message 4 of 5
Borg561
New Visitor

Reviving an old thread, sorry.  I've read stories of people trying to get the hard limit removed from their Zync car without success.  Today I got a letter in the mail informing me they were removing the $500 hard limit from my card.  Details of my situation follow.

When I first got my Znyc card back in November 2010, it was NPSL.  In December 2012 and January 2013 I missed my payment due to car repairs (make my AMEX payment or have a car to get back and forth to work in).  In February I was dropped to the $500 hard limit and got on a payment plan.  By April or early May 2013 I had it paid off.  Late last week I went to fill up with gas.  I tried to use my Zync card (which I typically use for gas, and had about $115 available credit at the time) and it was declined.  Apparently the preauthorization charge at the gas station I was at is $150!!!  Got gas no problem with my debit card, but when I got home I setup my monthly payment for this coming Saturday.  The letter I got today informing me the hard limit is removed and I'm back to NPSL was dated the day after I tried to get gas and roughly one year after I got my delinquent amount paid off.  I had not made any inquiries to them about removing the limit, but I had thought about doing it soon.  They can and will remove the hard limit, however I can't say if the fact that I had an NPSL card to begin with was a factor.

I just pulled my Experian report and score, and it's not stellar, so there is hope for others.  Score is 636, Amex shows as previously 120 past due, and two other cards show previously 30 days past due (all at the same time during the car issues).  Current usage, not counting Amex which does not show a limit, is ~73%, though that will drop to around 50% after the next billing cycles.  So for those wanting to get the hard limit removed, there is hope.  I can't say what their exact criteria are, but keep doing good things and you may be rewarded.

Justin

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.