Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zync Approved..Gold Pre-Approved?

tag
ednajen
New Contributor

Zync Approved..Gold Pre-Approved?

Hey all, 

I was approved for the Zync a couple weeks ago, received the card last Saturday.  Today, I get a "pre-selected" offer in the mail on the Gold card..offering 15,000 points ...is this a good sign?  I honestly didn't think I would have been approved for the Gold..that's why I went for the Zync.  According to myfico my Equifax is 675 and my Transunion is 635....no collections..last inq was from Amex(for the Zync) in the last year.......I'm a little tempted for the points....what do you guys think?

Also, kind of OT but I wasn't really interested in another Amex, but rather a revolving card?  There are so many that I see talked about..with my scores is there a half decent card I could get with good cash rewards?  I appreciate any input.  

Go to cards: Amex BCE , CSP, Discover IT, Amex Gold NPSL
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Jlu
Established Contributor

Re: Zync Approved..Gold Pre-Approved?

All the charge cards have very similar if not the same underwriting criteria. Zync is undoubtedly less restrictive and allows a younger AAoA but generally if you qualify for a charge card you can qualify for any of them (with the exception of Centurion, of course).

AMEX BCP $35k | Citi Double Cash $30k | PenFed PlatRewards $25k | Barclaycard $40k | Chase Freedom $25k | BofA Cash Rewards $40K | US Bank Cash+ $4500 | Discover IT $25k | NASA Platinum-Advantage $40k | CapOne Quicksilver $15k | Amazon Card $10k | Ten years on myFICO from 510 to 780 scores
Message 2 of 11
SpiceIslander
Frequent Contributor

@Jlu wrote:

All the charge cards have very similar if not the same underwriting criteria.

That's what AMEX told me. Congrats on your Zync!

Meg.

FICO: 4/2016 - TU 841 | EQ 840 | EX 837

FNBO 23,600 | Amex SPG 13,900 | Amex BCP 13,400 | Barclays/Sallie Mae13,000 | Discover IT 12,500 | Lowes 10,000 | PLOC 9,300 | NASA FCU 8,700 | Citi Simplicity 6,200 | BOA Platinum+ 6,000 | Achieva CU 5,500 | Chase CSP 5,000 | Sam's Club 3,000 | Sears 900
Message 3 of 11
ednajen
New Contributor

Thanks...I'm reading the details and I don't see the benefit of having them both.  Therefore, I may hold off..I'm not sure what the Gold has over the Zync...

Message 4 of 11
OptimasPrime
Frequent Contributor

Since you are already an Amex member it will be a soft pull if you are declined. Only a hard pull if approved. I'd say if you want it you should go for it.

Edit to add-you can always cancel the Zync if they approve you for the gold.

EQ 778 | TU 776
Barclay US Airways WMC 7.5k | BCE 5.8k | BofA Travel Rewards 9.1k | Chase Marriott Premier 13k | Citi TYP WMC 6.5k | Freedom Visa Sig 8k| Discover it 10k
Message 5 of 11
ednajen
New Contributor

Hey..thanks for replying....good to know if I get declined its only a soft pull...the points are the only thing tempting me...I'll do some research I suppose

Message 6 of 11
injustifiiable
Valued Contributor

The Delta SkyMiles Card is supposedly one of the easier revolvers to get. I'd try after 6 months.

ETA: Are they offering first year free on the Gold? I'd get it so you can combine MR points and be able to use them to their full advantage (Zync's MRE points aren't worth as much and can't be transferred to airline partners)

Scores 5/15/2016 (clean reports!): TU Walmart FICO: 696 | EQ FICO: 679 | EX AMEX FICO: 680

In my new wallet: American Express Green EMV: PSL $2000 | BankAmericard Cash Rewards Visa EMV: $2500 | Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World MasterCard: $6400 | Barclaycard Arrival World MasterCard: $1000 | Discover IT: $2500 | Amazon Rewards Visa Signature: $1500 | Chase Freedom: $1500 | Capital One QuicksilverOne MasterCard: $2100 | Target: $2800 | J.Crew $21,550 | Marvel (Captain America) MasterCard: $6000
Message 7 of 11
Cadillac-XTS
Established Contributor

Congrats

Message 8 of 11
jsucool76
Super Contributor

If you can get a similar bonus on the amex green card (unless the AF for the gold happens to be waived for the first year) I would go for the green instead, since, afaik, the green and gold are pretty similar. The only real step up happens when you get to the PRG. 

Message 9 of 11
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@ednajen wrote:

Hey..thanks for replying....good to know if I get declined its only a soft pull...the points are the only thing tempting me...I'll do some research I suppose

Higher tier reward structure if you care about such things.  Pretty certain my choice of rewards would be restaurant gift certificates (I eat out pretty much exclusively) so the Green/Gold/PR/Plat do nothing for me currently.

If I get stuck with a non-trivial amount of travelling, that may well change but I suspect when that happens I'll likely be able to get a solid travel-rewards-oriented revolver anyway.

        
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.