Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zync Drive-Thru Scare!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Zync Drive-Thru Scare!

I'm telling this story because it seems like a simple mistake that anyone can make, which can become a nightmare situation. Long story short.. I went to a drive-thru yesterday for some food. I placed my order and then proceeded to the window as usual. I handed them my Zync, got my food & all was well..or so I thought. The next day (today), I look in my wallet and see that my favorite credit card is missing!! I panicked and looked everywhere, but to no avail.

I checked all of my pending charges to make sure it was not used and then checked the last place I went to (drive-thru). I decided to give them a call and asked them if anyone had left a credit card yesterday. They asked me what it looked like and I told them it was a white Amex. To my surprise, they said they had it! When I walked in, everyone who worked there knew about this mysterious "white amex" that someone left there (I guess they don't know about the Zync). In the end, what happened was when I received my order (several things), I just assumed I got my Zync card back. Unfortunately, I was not paying enough attention (although the drive-thru worker is definitely to blame for not handing me my card back) and just wanted to warn you all from making the same mistake that I did. This could have ended very differently with me having to dispute hundreds or thousands worth of charges. (P.S. - They gave me free food for the inconvenience!)

Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Re: Zync Drive-Thru Scare!

Most people who don't go to myfico probably don't know about the zync card. They were probably like "what card is this...I'd steal it, but i'm afraid the CIA is gonna show up and take me to gitmo if I use it." 

It's a great tip though, I've done that more than once, but I usually realize it like..9ft from the drive thru window. 

Message 2 of 22
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Very cool !   And don't feel bad about leaving stuff behind.....at the pizzeria where I worked you wouldn't believe the stuff that people left behind.   Wallets, keys, credit cards, cell phones, glasses, kids.... ok not really, but stuff happens.    And in my experience restaurants are good about keeping stuff like that, because they know you'll come back.

Also AMEX would have probably been good about handling the charges just in case someone starting using it.....

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 3 of 22
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

I think its funny that they were all in awe of the mysterious "White American Express"

You could have told them its a special edition card, reserved only for NASA personnel Smiley Wink

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 4 of 22
gettnthere
Established Contributor

@webhopper wrote:

I think its funny that they were all in awe of the mysterious "White American Express"

You could have told them its a special edition card, reserved only for NASA personnel Smiley Wink

hahaha +1 i like that. special edition for NASA im def. gonna have to use that one. people are always asking about the ZYNC when i use it. Id love to see their facial expression once i told them that one lol Smiley Happy

Starting Score: EQ 609, EX 633(Fako), TU 700
Current Score: EQ 699, EX 758, TU 733
Goal Score: 720 across the board
Garden Club Member-GC Challenge: App free since 10/31/12 Smiley Wink
Message 5 of 22
BungalowMo
Senior Contributor

I remember pulling up to my banks (unmanned) ATM one day to get some cash & finding a message on the screen: "What do you want to do"?  *Make another transaction or *Get my card back.  I selected the latter.  Tried looking for the lady's name in the white pages...no luck.  I called her card # on the back & asked the CSR what she'd like me to do.  I offered my Ph# so they could have the lady call me...I also offered to shread it.  She told me to shread it & they called the lady & sent her another card.

If the wrong person had pulled up there instead of me...could have been a real mess for someone. I did what I'd like to have been done for me.  The honest thing.

BK 7 discharge 06.24.2020 No Fico score at all. Smiley Sad
Message 6 of 22
injustifiiable
Valued Contributor

Glad that worked out for you. The cashiers need to make it a point to give your card right back after swiping and before giving the food...

Scores 5/15/2016 (clean reports!): TU Walmart FICO: 696 | EQ FICO: 679 | EX AMEX FICO: 680

In my new wallet: American Express Green EMV: PSL $2000 | BankAmericard Cash Rewards Visa EMV: $2500 | Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World MasterCard: $6400 | Barclaycard Arrival World MasterCard: $1000 | Discover IT: $2500 | Amazon Rewards Visa Signature: $1500 | Chase Freedom: $1500 | Capital One QuicksilverOne MasterCard: $2100 | Target: $2800 | J.Crew $21,550 | Marvel (Captain America) MasterCard: $6000
Message 7 of 22
jsickz32
Valued Contributor

Makes me wish i would of gotten the zync instead of the green!
Amex BCE (2500) / Amex SPG (4000) / Amex GoldPR / Merrill+ Visa siggy (5000) / BofA Amex (6000) / Bofa cash rewards (5000) / BofA Privileges Cash Rewards (5000) / Citi Forward (4400) / Citi DP (2000) / Chase Freedom (4000) / Chase CSP (5000) / Chase Hyatt (5000) / Discover IT (1700) / FNBO AMEX (3600) / NFCU cashRewards Visa signature (15000) / NFCU Flagship Visa signature (12500) / NFCU Navcheck (5000) / Nordstrom (500) / MetroCU Visa Elite (5000) / Walmart (4500) / Kays Jewerels (6600) / Kohls (300) / Macys Platinum (2500) / DCU platinum Visa (17500) / Citizens bank cash back (1100) / Bill Me Later (1631) / PayPal Smart connect (2200) / BestBuy store card (2000)
Message 8 of 22
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

@jsickz32 wrote:
Makes me wish i would of gotten the zync instead of the green!

You can always downgrade... Smiley Wink     

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 9 of 22
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

@BungalowMo wrote:

I remember pulling up to my banks (unmanned) ATM one day to get some cash & finding a message on the screen: "What do you want to do"?  *Make another transaction or *Get my card back.  I selected the latter.  Tried looking for the lady's name in the white pages...no luck.  I called her card # on the back & asked the CSR what she'd like me to do.  I offered my Ph# so they could have the lady call me...I also offered to shread it.  She told me to shread it & they called the lady & sent her another card.

If the wrong person had pulled up there instead of me...could have been a real mess for someone. I did what I'd like to have been done for me.  The honest thing.

Always the right choice... good for you! Smiley Happy

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.