Did you mean: 

Zync a dead-end card?

tag
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

Re: Zync a dead-end card?

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey Yall,

I just recently applied for an Amex BCE and unfortunately got declined, so I decided to take a look at the Zync card. However, I decided to do some research and learned that the Zync card cannot be upgraded. So, have I been misinformed or is it really true that one cannot actually upgrade their Zync card?

If the card is non-upgradable then would it be worth while to attempt to get the card, in the hope that it will be easier to get the BCE card?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated Smiley Very Happy

Many have posted here about starting w/Zync and then being approved for other Amex CCs. One of the great things about Amex is that they backdate. So, if you got a Zync now and let's say the BCE in a year, your BCE would show a starting date the same as your Zync, so it actually *helps* instead of *hurts* your AAoA when you get a new CC. Smiley Happy

Whether or not you'd be approved depends on your history. If you have any baddies, I'd hold off until they're off your CR. From everything I've read, they don't like those -- no matter which Amex it is.

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 11 of 28
improvingmycredit
Valued Contributor

+1

Starting Score: 642
Current Score: EQ 773, EX 780, TU 777 (All FICO)
Goal Score: 800+

Cards: NFCU Flagship 50K, DC 30K, BCP 28.6K, Arrival+ 25K, Citi DP 22.8K, CSR 20.5K, TotalRewards 25K, QuickSilver 20K

Message 12 of 28
IowaGuy
Contributor

Zync is a dead end card in about as much as an internship is a dead end job.

700 Club
Amex Gold PR, Main card, Role: rewards
Chase Amazon Visa, Role: Amex backup
Pen Fed Promise, Role: low APR, balances
Amazon Store Card, Role: 0% financing
Message 13 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

UPDATE:

I applied for a Zync card over the phone, as to ask for the possibility of an upgrade. It turns out you might be able to actually get an upgrade given that the card it self doesn't really have any upgrade regulation, since it is a newer promotion (compared to the other charge cards).

So, as I was applying for the card the phone suddenly disconnected and had to restart app. At that point in time I decided that I would rather wait for the BCE, since I will be paying an annual fee for a charge card that would come second to the BCE Smiley Very Happy

Thank you all for the help Smiley Wink

Message 14 of 28
drkaje
Senior Contributor

OP may have been better off trying one of the AMEX backdoor numbers listed here for recon.

With scores around 600, I wouldn't really expect an AMEX approval. That being said, if low numbers are from limited history and not past mistakes Amex might start OP out with a low limit card. Asking will only cost a phone call! Smiley Happy

I want the BCP but really won't be properly positioned for about 6 months due to high utilization. 

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 15 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@drkaje wrote:

OP may have been better off trying one of the AMEX backdoor numbers listed here for recon.

With scores around 600, I wouldn't really expect an AMEX approval. That being said, if low numbers are from limited history and not past mistakes Amex might start OP out with a low limit card. Asking will only cost a phone call! Smiley Happy

I want the BCP but really won't be properly positioned for about 6 months due to high utilization. 

I am actually considering trying one of the backdoor numbers, within the next 2-3 months. I will wait till I can pay off my balance and then ask for a recon. I don't really have any baddies and I have a student loan from 2009 and opened my oldest account about 2 years ago Smiley Happy

On a side note, I really cannot bring my self to apply for a BCP since I don't really think I would be able to make up the annual fee via reward bonuses, hopefully in the near future (when I graduate Dent school).

Message 16 of 28
drkaje
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@drkaje wrote:

I am actually considering trying one of the backdoor numbers, within the next 2-3 months. I will wait till I can pay off my balance and then ask for a recon. I don't really have any baddies and I have a student loan from 2009 and opened my oldest account about 2 years ago Smiley Happy

On a side note, I really cannot bring my self to apply for a BCP since I don't really think I would be able to make up the annual fee via reward bonuses, hopefully in the near future (when I graduate Dent school).

May as well call now. You've already had the inquiry and by the time 2-3 months passes they'd have to pull again. Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 17 of 28
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

@drkaje wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@drkaje wrote:

May as well call now. You've already had the inquiry and by the time 2-3 months passes they'd have to pull again. Smiley Happy

Agreed. If you do get approved for a Zync, it's a foot in the door and the backdating can really come in handy down the road. That in and of itself makes getting in with Amex early a good thing to do. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 18 of 28
Uncle_Money
Established Contributor

In my opinion,

Zync isn't a "dead end" card but can better be described as an entry level Amex card. However, let me dispel a myth right here and now.

It doesn't make a difference if you have 10 Amex accounts with a perfect history. If you're going to apply for a new Amex card, their automated underwriter will pull your credit and the computer makes the decision based off your credit report. If you have a blemish, high utilization or another negative factor then it's almost guaranteed you'll be declined. In the world of credit, we are nothing more then a 3 digit number. 99% of banks do not look at income or even your relationship with them. They look at credit. This is unfortunate but very true. I believe that even with a product upgrade, Amex will check your credit but with a soft pull.

An Interesting Story: I know the manager of a P.C. Richard's store. He told me he once had a movie producer come in and purchase a ton of electronics. He told me the customer's income exceeded 2 MILLION DOLLARS PER MONTH! However, his credit wasn't good. He applied for their store card and was declined. They wouldn't overturn the decision either. Now, here's a guy making over 20 MILLION DOLLARS per year! However, he still doesn't meet his credit obligations. See the overall picture? Just because he could have purchased the store if he wanted, doesn't necessarily mean he'll pay on time or even pay at all. Makes sense when you think about it and this is why banks don't look at that type of stuff.

Bottom Line: It all comes down to our credit reports. Banks do not look at other factors in most situations.

UM

Personal: American Express Platinum - NPSL | American Express Blue Cash Preferred - $15,000 | Chase Sapphire Reserve - $38,500 | Chase Amazon Prime Visa - $7,200 | Chase Freedom - $500 | Barclaycard Arrival+ - $18,600 | PenFed Platinum Rewards - $25,000 | PenFed LOC - $10,000 | Navy Federal Credit Union Platinum Visa - $25,000 | Navy Federal Credit Union LOC - $10,000 | Citi Double Cash - $12,170 | Citizens Cash Back+ - $8,650 | Citizens LOC Overdraft - $8,000 | Discover - $10,000 | Capital One Quicksilver One - $3,600 | Capital One Platinum - $750 | Valero - $600 | Dell - $3,000 | Lowes Advantage - $30,000 | Macys Amex - $25,000 | The Home Depot - $7,500 | Tourneau - $15,000
Business: American Express Business Platinum Card - NPSL | American Express Plum Card - NPSL | American Express SimplyCash Plus - $10,000 | American Express Gold Card - NPSL | Bank of America Cash Rewards - $100,000 | Capital One Spark Business - $54,000 | Chase Business Preferred - $34,000 | Chase Business Ink - $15,000 | PNC Bank Cash Rewards Visa Signature - $19,000 | PNC LOC $100,000 | BP Business Solutions - $1,500 | KeyBank Mastercard - $6,000 | Staples More Account - $3,500

Message 19 of 28
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@drkaje wrote:

You might want to find out if there is a time limit for recons. I can't imagine that you can recon 2 to 3 months later! I'd think there would be a 14 to 30 day window in which you can recon. After that, you probably would need to re-app. Most CCs have a 30-day limit to use the same CR. After that it's another HP.

Obviously the criteria for a BCP is higher than for a Zync. So, you might want to call and ask if you can be considered for the Zync on the same app. I don't know if this would work or not. I know you want the BCP, but you've already had the HP, which will be there for 2 years! You may as well give a call and see if you can get *something* for the pull. Even a Zync will definitely get your foot in the door w/them. And you can cancel it once you get the BCP if you don't want to pay the $25 AF.

JMO. Smiley Happy

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 20 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.