Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zync now offers "pay over time"?!

tag
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Re: Zync now offers "pay over time"?!

@Open Thanks! The platinum has that $450 AF I think thats a bit out of my range lol

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 31 of 40
Open123
Super Contributor

@LS2982 wrote:
@Anonymous Thanks! The platinum has that $450 AF I think thats a bit out of my range lol

And, they never waive the first year fee!

The PR Gold with bonus + first year fee waived is a very good deal.  If you don't think the card is worth it after trying it out, you can downgrade back to the Green or Zync.  If you have tons of MR points remaining, then the Green; if not, then the Zync.

This is how I would do it.

Message 32 of 40
CribDuchess
Established Contributor

@crunching_numbers wrote:

@LS2982 wrote:

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

It's widely believed that taking this option can get you into serious trouble. I don't know that we've ever seen definitive proof, so this might be another one of those AmEx paranoias.

I don't know why a lender would offer a "gotcha", but I just wanted to mention this.

+1

I think it leads to more account reviews and an eventual F/R.

As mentioned in the earlier post, I have a large balance on Pay over Time. I get account reviews regularly. I have been blessed (knock on wood) that they never did a FR. The main trouble is everything over $100 automatically goes into pay over time. You can't change that value. It is awkward to manage.

Amex just gave me this Pay Over Time option on my Gold card.  However, I could not see anything on the online account site that would allow me to mark anything to pay over time (not that I want to, I just wanted to check it out).  Back in the 90's I had the Sign & Travel feature and used it just once for airfare.  But I had to request that the travel agent mark it as Extended Payment at the time I purchased the tickets.

Anyway, just re-read the letter that Amex sent me about paying over time and there is a website that you go to for paying over time.  www.americanexpress.com/selectandpay

First you see if you are eligible, if you are, you enroll.  Then if you want to mark any charges for Pay Over Time, you return to the above website and click on "Make a Transfer."  Then you will be prompted to log in and then you will get a list of all your charges and any charges over $100 are enabled for you to click the box next to them to extend payment on them.

I don't understand why they have to make it so complicated, but I guess I should not be surprised since it is Amex after all.

FICOs: TU08 842 EQ08 850 EX08 850

My Wallet: Amex Gold NPSL; Amex Optima Platinum $25K; Amex BCE $12K; Apple Card $20K; BofA Travel Rewards Visa Sig $67.6K; Cap1 Quicksilver Visa Sig $10K; CSP $28.2K; Chase Freedom $13K; Chase Freedom Unlimited $21.4K; Citi Costco Visa $19.3K; Citi Double Cash $13.5K; Citi Simplicity Visa $23.3K; Discover IT $50K; Fidelity Visa $25K; NFCU Flagship Visa Sig $40K; NFCU More Rewards Amex $30K; PenFed Plat Rewards Visa Sig $50K; Sears MC $10.1K; US Bank Altitude Go Visa Sig $20K; US Bank Cash+ Visa Sig $26K; Wells Fargo Rewards Visa Sig $14K
Message 33 of 40
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@CribDuchess wrote:

@crunching_numbers wrote:

@LS2982 wrote:

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

It's widely believed that taking this option can get you into serious trouble. I don't know that we've ever seen definitive proof, so this might be another one of those AmEx paranoias.

I don't know why a lender would offer a "gotcha", but I just wanted to mention this.

+1

I think it leads to more account reviews and an eventual F/R.

As mentioned in the earlier post, I have a large balance on Pay over Time. I get account reviews regularly. I have been blessed (knock on wood) that they never did a FR. The main trouble is everything over $100 automatically goes into pay over time. You can't change that value. It is awkward to manage.

Amex just gave me this Pay Over Time option on my Gold card.  However, I could not see anything on the online account site that would allow me to mark anything to pay over time (not that I want to, I just wanted to check it out).  Back in the 90's I had the Sign & Travel feature and used it just once for airfare.  But I had to request that the travel agent mark it as Extended Payment at the time I purchased the tickets.

Anyway, just re-read the letter that Amex sent me about paying over time and there is a website that you go to for paying over time.  www.americanexpress.com/selectandpay

First you see if you are eligible, if you are, you enroll.  Then if you want to mark any charges for Pay Over Time, you return to the above website and click on "Make a Transfer."  Then you will be prompted to log in and then you will get a list of all your charges and any charges over $100 are enabled for you to click the box next to them to extend payment on them.

I don't understand why they have to make it so complicated, but I guess I should not be surprised since it is Amex after all.

I don't think i'll use this feature on my Zync... I have revolvers for that!

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 34 of 40
CribDuchess
Established Contributor

I have plenty of revolvers to use as well.  But someone pointed out in another thread about the Pay Over Time feature that those balances also would not be counted in your util on your credit reports.  Not sure if this is true or not and I'm not about to try it just to find out.  Maybe crunching_numbers knows for sure?  I think they are using Pay Over Time on their Gold card.

My Wallet: Amex Gold NPSL; Amex Optima Platinum $25K; Amex BCE $12K; Apple Card $20K; BofA Travel Rewards Visa Sig $67.6K; Cap1 Quicksilver Visa Sig $10K; CSP $28.2K; Chase Freedom $13K; Chase Freedom Unlimited $21.4K; Citi Costco Visa $19.3K; Citi Double Cash $13.5K; Citi Simplicity Visa $23.3K; Discover IT $50K; Fidelity Visa $25K; NFCU Flagship Visa Sig $40K; NFCU More Rewards Amex $30K; PenFed Plat Rewards Visa Sig $50K; Sears MC $10.1K; US Bank Altitude Go Visa Sig $20K; US Bank Cash+ Visa Sig $26K; Wells Fargo Rewards Visa Sig $14K
Message 35 of 40
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

So if pay over time was active could you still yell which charges were for the cycle and pay them in full? I don't like the idea of them selecting the pay over time.charges on my behalf!
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 36 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

There are two types of pay over time features with Amex charge cards.  There is Select and Pay Later and the Extended Payment Option.  The difference is that with Select and Pay Later all charges default to pay in full and the cardmember has to manually select a charge to pay over time.  With the Extended Payment Option, charges over a certain amount ($100 currently, I think) are automatically put into pay over time status.  Amex auto-enrolled me in Select and Pay Later, which I much prefer to the Extended Payment Option, so I've not enrolled in that.  I actually figured out the difference when I noticed I was still getting offers to enroll in the Extended Payment Option after I thought I already had it.

Message 37 of 40
CribDuchess
Established Contributor

My understanding is that you have to actually select which charges you want to put on the Pay Over Time, Amex does not automatically put your charges on the Pay Over Time portion of your billing.  You would do that by going to www.americanexpress.com/selectandpay and then clicking on "Make a Transfer."  Then you're prompted to log in and then you see a list of all your charges and the ones that are eligible to be paid over time have a check box next to them for you to click to select them to pay over time.

Message 38 of 40
Brian_Trying_700
Frequent Contributor

Im on my 7th statement. Pif $463.76. Show me some love Amex. Im going for the Blue next April.

Garden mode till 11/19/2013 Amex Zync 500 H-L I Discover More 1750 I Capital One Rewards 1750 I Barclay Apple 1500 I Macys 2000 I Orchard 400 I Walmart 2000 I Chase Freedom 1500 I Lowes 1K l Barclay NFL 1K l Wright Express gas 2500 l PayPal Debit MasterCard BusinessCard $ ?
Message 39 of 40
xboxrunner
Regular Contributor

I have this on my Zync. Was approved last week for it.

Transunion - 820 (9/8/21)
Equifax Fico 8 - 832 (9/8/21)
Vantagescore - 821 (3/20/21)
Message 40 of 40
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.