Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

a couple of questions about Discover Card

tag
SnowBowl
Frequent Contributor

a couple of questions about Discover Card

Okay, after speaking with underwritter a couple of nights ago I got it approved for $1,000 Motiva Card.. and this morning just got emails from discover saying my account online is ready to view it so I login and I see everything.. the card designs, credit line info, etc .. I was wondering should I speak with discover to see if they can bump it up to $1,500 or maybe even $2,000 before I get the card ? or wait for the card to arrive 1st then can ask for little bit more credit upon activation ? I was also told I can do PC at 6 months from Motvia to IT card, should I try to see if I can do it upon activation the card as well?  anyone got success for doing either PC or credit line bumped up upon activation ?   if Discover is firm about me starting out on $1,000 then I could max it out every month and PIF and try ask for CLI in 6 months to see if that works.

on this date 1-22-24 all 3 bureaus are currently frozen until 1-22-26
VantageScore 3.0 EQ 753
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: a couple of questions about Discover Card

@SnowBowl wrote:

Okay, after speaking with underwritter a couple of nights ago I got it approved for $1,000 Motiva Card.. and this morning just got emails from discover saying my account online is ready to view it so I login and I see everything.. the card designs, credit line info, etc .. I was wondering should I speak with discover to see if they can bump it up to $1,500 or maybe even $2,000 before I get the card ? or wait for the card to arrive 1st then can ask for little bit more credit upon activation ? I was also told I can do PC at 6 months from Motvia to IT card, should I try to see if I can do it upon activation the card as well?  anyone got success for doing either PC or credit line bumped up upon activation ?   if Discover is firm about me starting out on $1,000 then I could max it out every month and PIF and try ask for CLI in 6 months to see if that works.

My partner got approved for $4500 recently and they were a NO budge on any CLI reviews and said it wasn't possible... BUT, although maybe not usual, it's also not NEVER heard of which kind of makes me irritated... I hate being lied to by a bank.

You can try, but I would just wait 6 months.

Message 2 of 8
SnowBowl
Frequent Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

@SnowBowl wrote:

My partner got approved for $4500 recently and they were a NO budge on any CLI reviews and said it wasn't possible... BUT, although maybe not usual, it's also not NEVER heard of which kind of makes me irritated... I hate being lied to by a bank.

You can try, but I would just wait 6 months.

Do you think Discover is fairly easy to go over the limit ? like $100 ish? if mine went over the limit for next 6 months its gonna be PIF anyways, it wouldnt matter.  I am just happy to have my 1st prime card Smiley Happy

VantageScore 3.0 EQ 753
Message 3 of 8
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Fairly easy to go over the limit? Are you doing a bt or just everyday purchases?
Message 4 of 8
SnowBowl
Frequent Contributor

@09Lexie wrote:
Fairly easy to go over the limit? Are you doing a bt or just everyday purchases?

everyday purchases , gas purchases, phone bill,etc I have decided to make this card primary to get the most actitvites for the next 6 billing cycles..

VantageScore 3.0 EQ 753
Message 5 of 8
kevinjjc
Valued Contributor

Just curious, why didn't you apply for the Discover it card instead? To be honest, I don't think you will be able to get Discover to give you a CLI until you've had it for at least 6 months...but I was able to recon my initial CL from 5k to 10k:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Discover-More-approved-amp-initial-CL-recon-success-5k-...

Message 6 of 8
SnowBowl
Frequent Contributor

@kevinjjc wrote:

Just curious, why didn't you apply for the Discover it card instead? To be honest, I don't think you will be able to get Discover to give you a CLI until you've had it for at least 6 months...but I was able to recon my initial CL from 5k to 10k:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Discover-More-approved-amp-initial-CL-recon-success-5k-...

I was told I can do PC after 6 months ... atleast thats what underwritter told me...  so do you think I should  try calling them up later today? even tho I have not got my Motiva Card in the mail yet.. but online access is all done.

VantageScore 3.0 EQ 753
Message 7 of 8
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

If you go over the limit, you WILL NOT get a CLI from them. I went over the limit at one point, in 2011, and then after I paid it off completely, they did increase my limit to 4200. I called and asked coult they bump it up and they kept denying me, bringing up the fact that I had gone over the limit. Best advice is, don't go over the limit, they don't like that. I haven't been over the limit for 18 months and recently got a crazy CLI from 5k to 13.5k
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.