Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

aaoa vs utilization

tag
juggalo9er
Valued Contributor

aaoa vs utilization

say someone has 2 cards @ 33% utilization would applying for one of the shopping cart credit cards to help lower utilization be better than letting the high utilization report? also if someone reads this that has actaully went for the shopping cart trick how long did it take to report

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
wHiTeSoL
Valued Contributor

Re: aaoa vs utilization

I wouldn't app for a card solely to help with UTI, it's like lipstick on a pig. If it's a card you want anyways sure but be sure not to slow down your credit building process with tons of "junk" cards.
Message 2 of 12
juggalo9er
Valued Contributor

should add most my cards report on the 20th i can not pay them off in full until the 24th i am having credit run for home loan!

Message 3 of 12
Luscher
Valued Contributor

If you are not applying for credit anytime soon, don't worry about utilization, as soon as it is paid down, your score will go back to normal
CHASE FREEDOM | AMEX BCE | | BOFA REWARDS | CITI TYP | Quicksilver | DISCOVER IT | Sallie Mae | CHASE CSP
--------$32,000-------------$30,000-----------$30,000-----------$30,000-----$13,000---------$18,200----------$15,000---------$6,500----

FICO - TU: 780 EX: 784 EQ: 781
Message 4 of 12
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@wHiTeSoL wrote:
I wouldn't app for a card solely to help with UTI, it's like lipstick on a pig. If it's a card you want anyways sure but be sure not to slow down your credit building process with tons of "junk" cards.

+1.  Especially shopping card trick ones.   These have low CLs (in general) so don't help all that much with utilization but do nicely reduce AAoA.   Often better to go for an HP and get a better CL.  HPs drop off, AAoA reductions generally don't (until 10 years after you close the card).

Message 5 of 12
juggalo9er
Valued Contributor

@lurker i was only interest in lowering my util below 30% which even a 250 limit card would do ....

Message 6 of 12
wacdenney
Valued Contributor

The Sportsman's Guide Visa gave me a 2K initial CL (my highest) and my scores are lower than yours.  It is definately going to help my utilization, but I wasn't really worried about AAoA because I got it as part of a new years app spree so my AAoA was already taking a huge hit anyway.

Message 7 of 12
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@juggalo9er wrote:

@Anonymous i was only interest in lowering my util below 30% which even a 250 limit card would do ....

OK, but you might also want to look at longer term implications.   Just depends on how urgently you need the util reduction above all else

Message 8 of 12
juggalo9er
Valued Contributor

sportsmans guide is not bk friendly though

Message 9 of 12
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@longtimelurker wrote:

@juggalo9er wrote:

@Anonymous i was only interest in lowering my util below 30% which even a 250 limit card would do ....

OK, but you might also want to look at longer term implications.   Just depends on how urgently you need the util reduction above all else

+1

And how far on the horizon you're looking for a mortgage as well.  Applying for a new card can only set you back, not help.

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.