cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

about new travel cards and approval odds .

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

about new travel cards and approval odds .

Hi everyone,

I want to apply for a travel credit card that has no foreign transaction fee. From whatever i have read , Citi prestige seems to be a good pick among others. I travel internatinally every year and couple of times domestically . Since this is an elite card , What are my approval odds ? Can you recommend other cards ? My profile is below.

Discover $1500

Amex BCE $9000

Chase freedom $10000

Bofa cash - $5900

Cit double cash - $5000.

Credit score - 740 (Discover Fico)

Citi Fico   - 735 (citi fico)

Credit history - 1.5 years.

Income - 120k+ p.a

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: about new travel cards and approval odds .

Welcome to the forums!

I suggest since you have the Chase Freedom to look into getting the Chase Sapphire Preferred.  It's an excellent pair with that card, as well as not having a FTF.  

Also, by taking a quick glance at your stats you would most likely have no issue being approved for it either.  

Just my two cents.

Message 2 of 13
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi everyone,

I want to apply for a travel credit card that has no foreign transaction fee. From whatever i have read , Citi prestige seems to be a good pick among others. I travel internatinally every year and couple of times domestically . Since this is an elite card , What are my approval odds ? Can you recommend other cards ? My profile is below.

Discover $1500

Amex BCE $9000

Chase freedom $10000

Bofa cash - $5900

Cit double cash - $5000.

Credit score - 740 (Discover Fico)

Citi Fico   - 735 (citi fico)

Credit history - 1.5 years.

Income - 120k+ p.a

You'll have no issues whatsoever.

The Prestige is going to work best if you are fine flying American Airlines mostly.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would look over the Chase & Citi cards & see which one you would prefer.  All of your stats look fantastic!  Smiley Wink

Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the response . The problem with CSP is it's annual fee . I would have to earn 40000 pts (=$500) points each year just to overcome the annual fee ($400 base + 20%). Even if i make purchases of $1500 every quarter on Freedom. I will earn 30000 points. I would have to still spend 5000 $ on travel and dining to earn the remaining 10000 points . I don't think i can spend so much .   A card like barclays arrival with no AF is better for me . But that does not come with other perks that i get in Citi prestige. Forgive me if this message is hard to understand.

Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you for the response . The problem with CSP is it's annual fee . I would have to earn 40000 pts (=$500) points each year just to overcome the annual fee ($400 base + 20%). Even if i make purchases of $1500 every quarter on Freedom. I will earn 30000 points. I would have to still spend 5000 $ on travel and dining to earn the remaining 10000 points . I don't think i can spend so much .   A card like barclays arrival with no AF is better for me . But that does not come with other perks that i get in Citi prestige. Forgive me if this message is hard to understand.

Your math is confusing me.  The AF for the CSP is only $95 a year and that is waived for the first year.  That's significantly less than the Citi Prestige which is $450.

Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Your math is confusing me.  The AF for the CSP is only $95 a year and that is waived for the first year.  That's significantly less than the Citi Prestige which is $450.

Citi prestige does come up with $450 annual fee . But it's perks make up for it . $250 travel statement credit, free 4th day on hotel reservations and complimentary golf session make it more than $450.        My argument with CSP is that the 20% return I am getting back from freedom and travel points won't be able to cover the 95$ annual fee for my expenses. 

Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Citi prestige does come up with $450 annual fee . But it's perks make up for it . $250 travel statement credit, free 4th day on hotel reservations and complimentary golf session make it more than $450.        My argument with CSP is that the 20% return I am getting back from freedom and travel points won't be able to cover the 95$ annual fee for my expenses. 

I guess if you look at the perks that way.  I personally don't like high AF cards where I have to spend to get a statement credit but to each their own.  Your mind seems to be set up already so go for it.  Your stats look good enough to get the card Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I guess if you look at the perks that way.  I personally don't like high AF cards where I have to spend to get a statement credit but to each their own.  Your mind seems to be set up already so go for it.  Your stats look good enough to get the card Smiley Happy

I get your point . I agree with you completely on this . If you look at all my current credit cards . Neither of them has annual fee.credit companies want the user to spend as much as possible . Since I visit internationally every year I can get the 250 statement credit . I am not a fan of concierge and lounge services . But I think i would be able to make up for the remaining 200$ in hotel reservations . I am still skeptical about this one though . 

Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

you sound like you can make good on the BoA preferred rewards program. The Travel Rewards card is like Arrival plus with no AF. 1.5 base points, potential for 2.625 points per dollar if you invest enough in their bank
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.