Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

account closure

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: account closure

@CC you would have died seeing my maxed out Ink Plus then. Literally let it sit at $4 available credit for 10 days straight.
Message 21 of 106
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Assume it would report as an installment loan being a personal loan.. Guess ill have to ask them how it reports.

Message 22 of 106
Anonymous
Not applicable

Giving up the grace period isn't an issue for me...more along the lines of how many accounts and don't want certain lenders seeing balances on 3-5 cards at the same time. Plus my fiancé is old school and prefers cash. He needs to know exactly how much money he has at all times.
Message 23 of 106
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
@Anonymous you would have died seeing my maxed out Ink Plus then. Literally let it sit at $4 available credit for 10 days straight.

Ya I would be flipping lol... I wouldn't sleep well for say 10 days Smiley Happy..

Message 24 of 106
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry to hear that and somewhat surprised. Can you tell me more about the entire picture? How much total credit do you have? I went through a couple of years when I sold one company and started another one when my utilization at one point reached 98% in total. This also included Chase where I was at 85% utilization and they never closed my card. There might be something more to it. I would call them and see about keeping it open.

Message 25 of 106
JSS3
Valued Contributor

I'm with the president(Nix) on this one.

There is a happy medium between not developing bad credit habits and micromanaging/obsessive credit habits.

The 1% rule is too stringent for most people most of the time. And by the same token, 50% overall debt is also a bit alarming... especially if carried out for long periods.

If none of us were on these boards, or reading credit blogs, we'd be like the rest of credit users--- either with debt up to our necks(and no concept of utilization) or we'd simply be using our credit cards(as we saw fit); paying back the amount we're told(minimum) in the time frame we're alotted.

Layaway, financing, grace periods, etc exist because people get to, and prefer, to receive now and pay later.

If not for these boards, we wouldn't be using our cards and then immediately paying the bill in full. Not your average person.

Yes, now that we've learned a little something here, we are more cautious, but the 1% rule is still far from the norm.

Either we're running up high debt or obsessing over AA and so micromanaging. The latter, in itself, is not a bad practice. It is especially a necessity if you've had bancruptcies/bad debt in the past. Obsessing, CAN, however, make one forget what credit is meant to do. Which is, to build your brand, ASWELL as, give you a grace period that you can freely take advantage of(without it seeming unfathomable).

Message 26 of 106
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@JSS3 wrote:

I'm with the president(Nix) on this one.

There is a happy medium between not developing bad credit habits and micromanaging/obsessive credit habits.

The 1% rule is too stringent for most people most of the time. And by the same token, 50% overall debt is also a bit alarming... especially if carried out for long periods.

If none of us were on these boards, or reading credit blogs, we'd be like the rest of credit users--- either with debt up to our necks(and no concept of utilization) or we'd simply be using our credit cards(as we saw fit); paying back the amount we're told(minimum) in the time frame we're alotted.

Layaway, financing, grace periods, etc exist because people get to, and prefer, to receive now and pay later.

If not for these boards, we wouldn't be paying our cards and then immediately paying the bill in full. Not your average person.

Yes, now that we've learned a little something here, we are more cautious, but the 1% rule is still far from the norm.

Either we're running up high debt or obsessing over AA and so micromanaging. The latter, in itself, is not a bad practice. It is especially a necessity if you've had bancruptcies/bad debt in the past. Obsessing, CAN, however, make one forget what credit is meant to do. Which is, to build your brand, ASWELL as, give you a grace period that you can freely take advantage of(without it seeming unfathomable).

Nicely written up and concur.

Message 27 of 106
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I mean if you are making big purchases 50% uti is nothing.

Do they panic if a balance is carried over several months? or are they just gun shy?

I dont do business with Chase so I have no first hand knowledge.

I think like most things, it's relative. If you have an established history of carrying large balances month over month (or year over year haha) and being able to eventually pay them off without any lates, I'd imagine you're given a lot more leeway to exercise such behavior in the future (vs someone who's never carried a balance in years) with that creditor. Of course, building up that kind of "cachet" can be a catch 22, but I'd think that people who've shown they can handle installment-type loans (personal, car, home) might also be treated more leniently when it comes to util/carrying large balances. Just a thought.

As far as Chase specifically, my experience says that they don't care about your util or carrying large balances on their cards as long as you pay them on time. I carried $5k on a $5k card with them for almost 7 years (yes, I paid a lot of interest). Things might have been different if I'd tried to carry $25k on a $25k card though. Again, all relative.

Message 28 of 106
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't think paying your purchases after posting is "obsessing". My fiancé is significantly older than me and had one credit card for emergencies and never used it much until he met me. And that was way before I found this forum. Our money goes into the same account and he prefers purchases to be paid off immediately so he doesn't think he has 800 dollars to spend and only has 400 ( example). Different strokes for different folks. As long as the bills are getting paid, who cares how it's paid or how often.
Message 29 of 106
Anonymous
Not applicable

Its pretty obsessive.

Message 30 of 106
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.