Not applicable

Re: account closure

Ghoshida got it right. Smiley Happy

I want my cake and eat it too.
Message 41 of 106
paris75
New Contributor

I'm surprised they just closed it! They have CLD me for this, but never closed and I was close to maxed out for about 2 years on all cards. Finally paid everything down and they auto CLI me back up.
Message 42 of 106
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Goshida..no one has ever offered me money off to not use my card so that really doesn't apply to me. I see where your coming from but that's never happened me. If something is under 2 dollars, then I try to pay cash if I have it but for the most part everything goes on hue card. Two days later when it clears I pay it off.v Works for me and that's all that matters.
Message 43 of 106
Anonymous
Not applicable

@paris75 wrote:
I'm surprised they just closed it! They have CLD me for this, but never closed and I was close to maxed out for about 2 years on all cards. Finally paid everything down and they auto CLI me back up.

Don't be surprised.  Chase is notoriously known for account closures... Not the first and certainly won't be the last.

Message 44 of 106
Anonymous
Not applicable

If something is less than $2 I use my Discover Checking for 10%+ CB currently.
Message 45 of 106
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good idea! Need to get more money in that account.
Message 46 of 106
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
If something is less than $2 I use my Discover Checking for 10%+ CB currently.

I set the thresholds for food: $4, everything else: $10. Though I must agree, I do mess it up at times. After all, it's a "debit" card Smiley Tongue

Message 47 of 106
EW800
Valued Contributor

I am also in the camp of being surprised that the account was flat out closed for 40% Utilization, with no lates. I am not sure what kind of dollars we are speaking of, but overall I wouldn't think 40% would spook a creditor to that extent. I could see some balance chasing, but surprised by the closure.
Year 2012: All Scores in the 520 range, during a foreclosure, CC Settlement and high UTIL. Very ugly days...
April 2024: EX8: 840; EQ8: 832; TU8: 842 -- Middle Mortgage Score: 822
In My Wallet: Discover $73.7K; Cap1 Venture $51.7K; Amex ED $38K; Amex Optima $2.5K; Amex Delta Gold $18K; Citi Costco $24.5K; Cap1 Plat $8.4K; Barclay $7K; Chase Amazon $6K; BoA Plat $21.6K; Citi TY Pref $22K; US Bank $4K; Dell $5K; Care Credit $6.5K. Total Revolving CL: $300K+
My UTIL: Less than 1% - Only allow about $20 a month to report, on one account. .
Message 48 of 106
JSS3
Valued Contributor

40% on Chase. 50% across all cards.
Message 49 of 106
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
@Goshida..no one has ever offered me money off to not use my card so that really doesn't apply to me. I see where your coming from but that's never happened me. If something is under 2 dollars, then I try to pay cash if I have it but for the most part everything goes on hue card. Two days later when it clears I pay it off.v Works for me and that's all that matters.

Right, but once you post, you invite comments.   Taking "obsessive" to mean something like "unusual and requiring extra work and/or cost", clealy paying off after each purchase is!   And for the general population, paying even once before statement posts is as well.    There may be good reasons for doing so, but there are downsides as well.

No to compare (although of course that is exactly what I am doing!) maybe two years ago there was someone here telling us he pays his credit card the way his mother taught him:  you buy a money order for the correct amount and mail that in.   When people suggested that was at least inefficient and incurred unnecessary small costs (MO and postage) he got annoyed and said that it works for him.

So just take reactions as an opportunity to consider, and either affirm your current approach is the one that makes most sense for you, or adjust....

Message 50 of 106
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.