cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

adding father to walmart card to get approval for amex! ideas thoughts?

tag
creditnocash
Valued Contributor

adding father to walmart card to get approval for amex! ideas thoughts?

so like i posted in the gardening thread. 

my father only came to the u.s. in 2010. and a couple months after jointly applied with my mom for a carecredit to get my wisdom teeth out. 

anyways it has a 3.5k limt and 2 years old(may be a little older). he has no other cards. id have to ask if my mom put him as an au on her orchard 5k card its about 3 years old. but has high util. 

if i add him to my walmart as an au. the card will be 5 months(in decemeber) old and has a 3k limit. 

what are the chances he will get approved for amex bce? 

he has no baddies. 

all payments on time about 5 inq total on 3 reports. 

one sears 

2 cc bank on eq and not sure about the other ones.

Current: Fico ScoresEQ~706 TU~719 EX 709 4/28/23

Inquiries (24 Months): EQ 0 TU 0 EX 0| Most Recent: A LONG WHILE
Over 12 Months:0

2023 Goals:
Buy A Home
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000
Citizens Mastercard$7,000

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Re: adding father to walmart card to get approval for amex! ideas thoughts?

I would advise him to apply on his own for discover. If you add him it may hurt more than help since the account is so new.
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 2 of 7
creditnocash
Valued Contributor

@webhopper wrote:
I would advise him to apply on his own for discover. If you add him it may hurt more than help since the account is so new.

why discover though? not that i have anything against them. honeslty i just want him to get an amex to be in. he's 42 starting out with little credit. 

2023 Goals:
Buy A Home
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@creditnocash wrote:

@webhopper wrote:

why discover though? not that i have anything against them. honeslty i just want him to get an amex to be in. he's 42 starting out with little credit. 

This will not happen with Amex. Amex needs to see a couple more accounts handled responsibly in his name for at least 6 months if not more. Yes, the Walmart AU on his report could possibly help his score, but it will not change the fact he has only the one account he is responsible for. 

What is the utilization on the CareCredit?

Message 4 of 7
creditnocash
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@creditnocash wrote:

@webhopper wrote:

This will not happen with Amex. Amex needs to see a couple more accounts handled responsibly in his name for at least 6 months if not more. Yes, the Walmart AU on his report could possibly help his score, but it will not change the fact he has only the one account he is responsible for. 

What is the utilization on the CareCredit?

0% its been 0 since august of this year.

2023 Goals:
Buy A Home
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

It helps that the util is not high on the care credit (as care credit is a revolving acct), but I still think he would need more accounts in his name for an Amex - I am not sure how Amex views care credit (good/bad/neutral).

Message 6 of 7
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

I mentioned discover because I got my amex approval back when discover was my only major cc and I had some retail cards. I would advise getting a discover and then applying for an amex charge card in 6 months.

Discover can be oddly generous if they are a persons first major cc. They know that consumers are more loyal to their first card and tend to keep them longer. Ive had my discover card since 1999.
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.