Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

advise me on how to app 2 AmEx, same-day

tag
hateAshbury
Regular Contributor

advise me on how to app 2 AmEx, same-day

So I plan on applying for a charge (Gold) and credit (BCE) card in January. I'm guessing I'll do through the AmEx web site. Would it make more sense to start with Gold and then app BCE? Is there any information that could be construed from either an approval or denial of Gold that could impact my subsequent decision to app for BCE?

Starting Score: 653 (11/1/2011 TransUnion)
Current Score: 719 (5/3/2012 TransUnion) 572 (3/21/2012 Equifax) 762 (4/14/12 VantageScore)
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
nicholasyud
Valued Contributor

Re: advise me on how to app 2 AmEx, same-day

Apps for gold first then BCE.....

Its sometime cost 3 HP on 3 credit bureaus thou.....its happen to me......

I apps for Green and  apps for Delta 30 mins after hope that they used the same pulls but they did all three.........Pull my Experian first then decide pull all three on my second apps on the same day....I think im borderline for their approval........675 fico score at time....

Starting Score: 560
Current Score: ?
Goal Score: 800
Message 2 of 8
beb86
Valued Contributor

Most of the time when you app at the same time or same day with AMEX it only counts as one HP......If you are approved for one now and wait to app for the next card in Jan it will be a SP if denied and a HP if approved..

Message 3 of 8
patsfan1453
Regular Contributor

I apped Blue cash first and they pulled all 3, then I got the green a week later and they only pulled one. 

Amex Everyday 6k || Chase Sapphire 5k || Buypower Card 5k || USAA Wounded Warrior Mastercard 4k || Citi TYP 4.9k|| Citi Forward 5.5k || Discover It 2k || Chase Freedom 5.5k || Walmart 1k || Chase Amazon 1k
Business: Chase ink cash 5k || AMEX Simply Cash 3.8k
Total CLs: 48.7k
Message 4 of 8
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

You could open-up multiple browser windows.  For instance, 1 firefox window (or more than one) or 1 firefox and 1 internet explorer window.

Fill-out both apps, then press submit one after the other.

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 5 of 8
Smerri1029
Regular Contributor

Generally it seems if you call AmEx to apply for boh cards you can ask them to use the same credit pull.

What's In My Wallet:American Express Starwood Preferred Guest Business Card, American Express Costco True Earnings, Citi AA Visa, Barclays US Air, Citi Prestige
What's In My Sock Drawer: Chase Sapphire Preferred, Discover More, Bank of America Accelerated Rewards AmEx, SME FCU Visa
Message 6 of 8
Mustangfrank
Regular Contributor

@hateAshbury wrote:

So I plan on applying for a charge (Gold) and credit (BCE) card in January. I'm guessing I'll do through the AmEx web site. Would it make more sense to start with Gold and then app BCE? Is there any information that could be construed from either an approval or denial of Gold that could impact my subsequent decision to app for BCE?

Two months ago I applied for the Zync and then immediately applied for the BCE and was approved for both.

I then the same day drove to the Costco retail store and applied for the Amex True Earnings and was also approved.

All three cards on one Hard Pull.

They pulled Experian here in NY.

At the time I had Fico scores around 700 and a credit history of only eight (8) Months.

I may have just gotten lucky.

Amex Zync NPSL 9/12, Amex CostcoTrue Earnings $10K 9/12
Amex BCE $3K 9/12 (Amex Back Dated to 1983)
Chase Sapphire Preferred $17K 11/12, Chase Freedom $7K 11/12
Discover More $750 11/12
CapitalOne Platinum Secured Card 2K 2/12 (Closed 12/12)
FICO: EQ = 804 EX = 802(Amex) TU = 801(Discover)
Message 7 of 8
HiLine
Blogger

If you're applying for multiple cards, you should apply at the same time, or just seconds apart, to maximize your chances and minimize the number of hard pulls. Fill out the applications in different browser tabs/windows first, then submit the applications within a few seconds. Since you want two cards from the same issuer, this strategy works even better.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.