cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

all paid off...closing cards

tag
vmdizzle33

Re: all paid off...closing cards

I think my credit score is around a 720. I've had a few late payments in my life time, but am in good standing on all of my cards and have not defaulted. I think my score is low because all of my cards were maxed out.

I didn't even think about the hotel rentals, etc I do like to use a credit card just incase something happens I don't want it draining my bank account.

Message 21 of 31
navyox
Regular Contributor

The other suggestion I've heard is to take the cards, put them in a plastic cup, fill it with water, and put it in the freezer.   That way, you have to make a pretty concerted effort to get at them again, and they are out of sight/out of mind but still not totally gone. 

If you really can't resist using them, I would agree that you should PC the oldest to an annual fee free card and close the rest.

Starting Score: 676 CK 5/13. Current: 717 EX 6/15 -- Last App: 6/2014
Message 22 of 31
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

I'm not suggesting that you keep the store cards. I think you should keep a bank card because you never know when you might need one and once it's closed its closed. Since you do not trust yourself securing it away from overuse will be the issue.
Message 23 of 31
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

Keep 2-3 cards and use them in the same way as "debit cards". Only buy what you would pay with cash and only when you have the cash!.. ...sooner or later you will have to learn how to live on a budget and why not sooner ? By doing so you get your credit stronger and do not lose the fruits of your hard work so far. Maybe  you feel it is easier if pay weekly until you are used to it.  Developing a bit self discipline will never hurt and can be useful in life ..Let the cards work for you and not the other way around ..cheers Smiley Happy

Message 24 of 31
vmdizzle33

Thanks everyone! I think I am at a different place in my life than when I was before when I ran them up. I think there should be a law against giving an 18 year old a credit card! Now that I am pushing 30 I am wanting to get my debt under control and make a concious effort to be more responsible. I believe before I was already in so much debt I was like "whatever, what's $100 more" and I'd keep charging. Seeing these balances go to zero, I want to do better this time. Plus, if I run them up again I think my father would disown me. haha

Message 25 of 31
cookiebird
Frequent Contributor

Being responsible is tough sometimes!  Smiley Happy

I gave all my cards to my mom a few months ago. I never realized until finding this forum that the balances were killing my score. I also knew that if something came up I would use it. It has been pretty painless not to have them.  she only lives about 75 miles away so a little easier than your situation.

I also tried freezing my cards. I put them in a ziploc baggie, filled it with water and put it in the back of the freezer where I couldn't see it. You have to kind of "forget" they are there.

I would definitely keep at least 2 open. Especially if you travel at all or will. You will want something other than a debit card for hotels and car rentals.

last app 11/13/2013 gardening for at least a year
Message 26 of 31
azguy13
Senior Contributor

If you are going to close any cards, I agree that if it were me, I would close the store cards. There is no reason to close the major cards without the AF when you can give the card to someone else or just hide it. 

I would not app for anything else until you feel you are responsible enough to handle it. 

Message 27 of 31
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

I think if you close all of your credit cards, your score will tank LOL
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 28 of 31
enharu
Super Contributor

If you can't control yourself, close all the cards and maybe leave 1 open. Don't worry about your scores. Having your scores tank (not that they will just because you closed your accounts) is much better than being in another situation where you are facing default.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 29 of 31
Networth
Frequent Contributor

I agree, close them all but one with out a AF and keep it around for emergencies. Not to sound mean but if you can't control using a credit card its probably best you have as few as possible. 

Chase Sapphire Reserve - American Express Blue Sky - Chase Freedom - - Chase Freedom Unlimited - BankAmericard Travel Rewards -

TU 813 EX 809 EQ 812
Message 30 of 31
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.