cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

am i ready to apply for a high limit card?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

am i ready to apply for a high limit card?

Hello all. i have been working to improve my scores for about a year.(680,569,660) so far its been a slow but steady journey. i have  a paid c/o that i did a couple years before i got my credit education, also way too many inq's(20 on 2 files). i got most of the transunion eq's off, but i want to join the 700 club asap and thought gettin a high limit card might help. i know i'll pay the price for a new account but not sure if it will help or if i even have a chance at getting approved. i have 3 major cc but low limits...1,500..1000.650...what do u think?..thnx
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: am i ready to apply for a high limit card?

Hi

What is your current Util % ?

What were your scores when you got your current cards.

Do a little risk analysis on your present cards based on Interest rate and record of payment.

I would look to getting a new card thats not one of the big ones saddled with problems like BofA or other headline companies.

If you get the new card, I would drop the two worst cards you currently have.

Since you are willing to take the hit, you can also close out a high interest card or one you might not have a shining history with.

You really want one or two good to great cards, not several that give you nothing (high interest and low limits)

Having many cards is a thing of the past, the game has changed a lot in the past month.

Good Luck

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

its down to about 20%
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

it's better to be 9% or under.  BofA has a preapproval on the website with no inquiry.  You can see if they have any offers for you.  That will give you some idea if you are ready for prime timeSmiley Tongue
Message 4 of 9
cobra19
Valued Contributor

kevin - I'd look into a CU. A vast majority of them pull EQ. If your 680 or 660 score is an EQ score - go for it. If not, I'd wait a while.

New York Yankees - 2009 World Series Champions. 27... and counting.....
Message 5 of 9
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

cobra19 wrote:

kevin - I'd look into a CU. A vast majority of them pull EQ. If your 680 or 660 score is an EQ score - go for it. If not, I'd wait a while.

Agreed!

And to be sure, are these FICO scores? Or did you get them from somewhere else? (TransUnion, Experian, a credit monitoring service.)

If they're not FICO's, you don't know your scores.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

yes they are real fico's from my fico.com. i got updated scores 2day...trns 690, exp 664..eqf 665
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

You should be able to find a credit union http://www.findacreditunion.com

It is clear the requirements are very loose to join one.
I have noticed that Interest rates vary widely, so look for one that likely has big deposits. (associated with a big company, industry or employee interest)
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Hello all. i have been working to improve my scores for about a year.(680,569,660) so far its been a slow but steady journey. i have  a paid c/o that i did a couple years before i got my credit education, also way too many inq's(20 on 2 files). i got most of the transunion eq's off, but i want to join the 700 club asap and thought gettin a high limit card might help. i know i'll pay the price for a new account but not sure if it will help or if i even have a chance at getting approved. i have 3 major cc but low limits...1,500..1000.650...what do u think?..thnx

A high limit card will not raise your scores as you might think.  However, a great payment history and time will raise your scores.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.