Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

american express pre-approval question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

american express pre-approval question

so when I log into the pre-approval page for Amex, I get that I'm pre-approved for the Gold Rewards Plus, Plat, Blue and Blue Cash. The only problem is, when I click "apply now", on ANY of these offers, it says on the description of the page (you know what appears on the top of IE or Firefox or whatever you use) "Cardmember Non Preapproved Short Application".

Would it say just Preapproved rather than Non Preapproved on the application if I were pre-approved? And what's the deal with this, I thought that page was for pre-approvals, why is it giving me offers I'm not preapproved for (from the indication on the top of the next page) or does it just say that language for everyone?

Thanks very much for your help.
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: american express pre-approval question

I get the same four cards displayed. With fear and trembling, I clicked "Apply now" next to the Blue, and it takes me to a page that says "APPLY FOR THE BLUE FROM AMERICAN EXPRESS" and has a picture of a Blue card with my name on it. I don't see anything about "Cardmember Non Preapproved Short Application," or anything that says pre-approved, either. There's a very brief form that already has my name in a few places and a box to enter HHI and another for my e-mail address.

Oddly, there is no box stating that by clicking here, I authorize a hard pull, but I got burned by HSBC/ Best Buy this way, so I'm scuttling out now.

The URL says https://www201.americanexpress.com/cards/Applyfservlet?csi=(bunch of numbers here)n&path=cardSelectorPage.

Does this look like what you've got? They did send me a pre-approval/ approval/ invitation/ whatever for a Blue by mail about six weeks ago.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 2 of 9
stefanc
Regular Contributor

@haulingthescoreup wrote:
I get the same four cards displayed. With fear and trembling, I clicked "Apply now" next to the Blue, and it takes me to a page that says "APPLY FOR THE BLUE FROM AMERICAN EXPRESS" and has a picture of a Blue card with my name on it. I don't see anything about "Cardmember Non Preapproved Short Application," or anything that says pre-approved, either. There's a very brief form that already has my name in a few places and a box to enter HHI and another for my e-mail address.

Oddly, there is no box stating that by clicking here, I authorize a hard pull, but I got burned by HSBC/ Best Buy this way, so I'm scuttling out now.

The URL says https://www201.americanexpress.com/cards/Applyfservlet?csi=(bunch of numbers here)n&path=cardSelectorPage.

Does this look like what you've got? They did send me a pre-approval/ approval/ invitation/ whatever for a Blue by mail about six weeks ago.

Same four cards here as well, If I click apply now it gives me a choice of my existing cards to pre-fill the form. There are radio buttons next to my existing cards and then a link to continue... I didn't
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I tried again and I get the same things that you all got. I think the pre-approval site just wasn't working for a second or something when I first tried it? Oh well. If I ever apply for them I will just call Amex first and ask directly for my pre-approved offers.
Message 4 of 9
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Amex is asleep behind the wheel. My offers are:

Amex Plat...duh, already have it
Rewards Plus Gold...duh, had it and upgraded to Plat
Blue...duh, I have this one too
Blue Sky...no interest

Yay, Amex says I can have dupe cards
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

OP, what browser (and operating system) are you using? If I use Safari, on my Mac, and click on one of those links, I get the 'cardmember non-preapproved short application' (or whatever it says) thing on the title bar of the browser window. It doesn't show that if I use IE on a Windows machine, though...

Oh, and Hauling... have your card offers CHANGED?! They are offering you Blue Cash instead of Blue Sky? Can it be true?!?!? (I still have the Gold/Plat/Blue/Blue Sky combo I always have).

I just clicked on 'apply now' beside the Blue Sky to check that the 'non-preapproved' thing still came up, and am now fully expecting an FR within, ooh, seconds, for having the temerity to click the 'apply' button! Smiley Wink

Joking. Mostly, at least.
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@fused wrote:
Amex is asleep behind the wheel. My offers are:

Amex Plat...duh, already have it

Rewards Plus Gold...duh, had it and upgraded to Plat

Blue...duh, I have this one too

Blue Sky...no interest

Yay, Amex says I can have dupe cards

I've idly wondered what would happen if I applied for the Blue they're always telling me I'm preapproved for, despite the fact that I already have it. I wonder at which point, if ever, they'd tell me that I already have one - or if they'd just deny without further explanation.

Not that I actually want to follow through with this experiment and find out, you understand. But I have wondered! Pre-approvals for stuff I already have just doesn't make me feel very... special! Sniff! Smiley Sad
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

actually, now that you mention it, that only happens on Safari - when I use IE or Firefox, it's just fine.

How is AmEx about honoring their "featured offers" preapprovals?
Message 8 of 9
mrdrum18
New Contributor

d09 wrote:How is AmEx about honoring their "featured offers" preapprovals?

I'm curious about this as well. I just got a bunch of offers and am wondering if they see your whole report or what?
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.