Valued Contributor
Jazzzy

Re: american express suggestions

kents wrote:
i just checked my experian score today and it's 727, but i have a lot of inquiries. is it possible to be approved for an amex card? any opinions on which amex cards are easiest to get?
The only AmEx I have is my Delta SkyMiles card. It will have a $95 annual fee after the 1st year. I also got a free flight with the beginning bonus and a free companion ticket. So, that was 2 free flights. I see that back in August they gave me 15,000 bonus miles. I have no clue why.

The card gives me one mile per dollar spent. I can fly to see my grandkids with 25,000 miles...so, it works for me. The tickets retail have been about $400...sometimes more. So, for me, in my situation, that's a pretty good return.

For me, it was pretty easy to get. I am a grad student, but I have my husband's income still, so we were approved on a lower income than normal. They only started me with $2k credit limit back in May. But this month it was raised to $6k.

I also have the PenFed rewards VISA. I use the AmEx first and the PenFed second. I also max out whatever category Discover has at the moment. Another poster recommended the AmEx Starwood as a great rewards card...said it was considered the top mileage card because you can cash 20,000 miles in on a variety of airlines for 25,000 miles. I don't know if that's accurate, and I haven't checked it out because I won't apply for any new cards until I graduate in May.

What are you after in a rewards card? Miles or cash back?

kents

I would really like a rewards travel card. I'm going to be studying abroad and traveling a lot. My credit age is only a little over a year and I'm still young. With that reason, I think creditors don't want to risk their chances.
Regular Contributor
ma_fico

If you don't have one already, you actually might want to consider getting a card from Cap1. 

(yes, really.)

You're going to be studying/living/traveling abroad, and Cap1 doesn't charge any FETFs.

Those could add up if you're going to be abroad for a year and charging (and PIFing! of course) expenses - may SAVE you more than you would you ever earn in rewards.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+