cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

american express suggestions

Member

american express suggestions

i just checked my experian score today and it's 727, but i have a lot of inquiries. is it possible to be approved for an amex card? any opinions on which amex cards are easiest to get?
Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES
Established Contributor

Re: american express suggestions

How many is "a lot" of inquiries?  I app'd and was approved for the Costco Amex True Earnings with an EX of about 750 (ballpark) and two inquiries.  

 

 

pattycake's FICOs: 6/2/10 - TU: 708; EX: ???; EQ: 749
Message 2 of 23
Established Contributor

Re: american express suggestions


kents wrote:
i just checked my experian score today and it's 727, but i have a lot of inquiries. is it possible to be approved for an amex card? any opinions on which amex cards are easiest to get?

Where did you get your EX score from?

Advice is what we ask for when we already know the answer but wish we didn't.
Message 3 of 23
Moderator Emerita

Re: american express suggestions


kents wrote:
i just checked my experian score today and it's 727...

Unless you belong to PSECU, and you see your EX score on your monthly statement, or you applied for a mortgage and your lender showed you your FICO scores, that's a FAKO.

Experian stopped allowing consumers to buy our EX FICO scores on 2/13/2009. But they're doing a nice business in selling consumers their home-grown FAKO's.

What negatives (if any) are on your Experian credit report, other than lots of inquiries? What's your revolving utilization (balances reported divided by total credit limit)? Have you ever had an AmEx in the past and burned them? How many (if any) new accounts over the past 6 months and 12 months?
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 4 of 23
Member

Re: american express suggestions

I got my experian score from the experian website. But myfico equifax and transunion scores are both above 700. I have 12 inquiries listed along with the negatives. Only negatives include a low age for credit (1 year and 4 months) and recently opened accounts (student loans and 3 new credit cards the past three months). Do student loans affect my chances? I have never missed a payment on anything. My revolving credit utilization is only 7%. I just turned 19 years old, and I'm going to be traveling abroad a lot for school. I want at least two more rewards card that will give me good deals.
Message 5 of 23
Senior Contributor

Re: american express suggestions

Don't apply now.
Message 6 of 23
Super Contributor

Re: american express suggestions


kents wrote:
I got my experian score from the experian website. But myfico equifax and transunion scores are both above 700. I have 12 inquiries listed along with the negatives. Only negatives include a low age for credit (1 year and 4 months) and recently opened accounts (student loans and 3 new credit cards the past three months). Do student loans affect my chances? I have never missed a payment on anything. My revolving credit utilization is only 7%. I just turned 19 years old, and I'm going to be traveling abroad a lot for school. I want at least two more rewards card that will give me good deals.

Student loans doesn't affect your chances.  Your AAoA and utilization may pose a problem.  Before being recon to get approved, I was denied while having pristine credit and with no recent inquiries and $0 CC balances.  I was told by the CSR my risk score was too high.  I didn't accept that.  I told her I have high FICO scores and she offered to send my app for recon.  I got approved for $2000 a day later.  

 

Good luck getting approve with AMEX.    

Message 7 of 23
Frequent Contributor

Re: american express suggestions

I am only one year older then the OP and I got an instant approval for Amex gold. My AAOA is very low and I had a decent amount of inquiries.  

Starting Score: 744
Current Score: 744
Goal Score: 800


Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 8 of 23
Super Contributor

Re: american express suggestions


crosbyk1 wrote:
I am only one year older then the OP and I got an instant approval for Amex gold. My AAOA is very low and I had a decent amount of inquiries.  

Hear that OP. You may have a chance.  The only way to find out is apply.  If you get denied ask for a recon immediately.

Message 9 of 23
Established Contributor

Re: american express suggestions

My question to the OP is, "Why do you need an AMEX card?".  They are pickier than most of the mainstream CCC's so with your scores unless there is some overriding reason why you need it I would pass until you scores are stronger.  If you NEED one, go ahead and apply.  If you just WANT one, I'd hold off for now.
Message 10 of 23