Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

amex account dating

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

amex account dating

i recently opened an amex gold rewards cards, but my wife opened a BCP card about a year and a half ago and added me as an AU. will my gold card account be dated to the date i was added to the BCP card or will it be dated to the day it was opened?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: amex account dating

Date it was opened.
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Date it was opened.

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

is the date it was opened different from the "member since" date? i just noticed that when i log in to my amex gold account it says member since 2014 at the top. it must be pulling that info from my AU status on my wife BCP card. will the gold card report as from 2014 on my credit reports?

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

What it says on your account and how it reports can vary. All my accounts say member since 2000 online. But only BCE and SimplyCash report as year 2000. Blue for Business was approved after Amex put a stop to back dating so it reports the year it was opened.
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

gotcha, thanks!

Message 6 of 7
UncleB
Credit Mentor

The date you see when you log in online will be the year of your earliest experience with American Express, even if that card is long-gone.

The date reported to the credit bureaus for any accounts opened prior to March 2015 will be the month the account was opened, with the year you first opened an account with American Express (the infamous 'Backdating' people talk about missing so much).

For any accounts opened and reporting after the March 2015 'cutoff', the date reporting to the credit bureau will be the actual date the account was opened. 

The 'Member Since' date embossed on your card may vary.  When I got my new Amex accounts in April 2015 it was a few days after approval before I noticed my old 'Member Since' date populating when I logged in online.  My cards came with '2015', although if you call Amex they'll send replacement cards with the 'correct' date if you want.  It is my understanding that when my current cards expire, the replacements will automatically have my old '1995' member since date.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.