Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

amex affect on credit...

tag
E150GT
Frequent Contributor

amex affect on credit...

So I read that amex charge cards do not reflect on ones utilization in the credit reports. I recently opened an amex charge account and that along with my chase slate reporting a new $44 balance my credit score went from 710 to 688. I also had a balance on my USAA mastercard and my discover card. I paid off my chase and my discover and will only show a balance on my USAA card and whatever has been charged on my amex. When I check my report after statement closing will my credit score reflect just the USAA card and not the amex, or will the amex have some sort of bearing besides it being a new TL? Just trying to decide if I should pay the balance of the amex before the statement cuts so it will report $0 or if it really matters. Normally it wouldnt matter but I want to buy a house sometime this year and I need my credit score to be as high as possible and eventully also I want to app for the amex BCE so I can have all the cards I want. Thanks

CSP-$8700, Amex BCE-17.2k, Chase Freedom-$5700
Discover It-$6600, USAA MC-$5900 Ink Bold- $12k United Explorer-$5k
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
nicholasyud
Valued Contributor

Re: amex affect on credit...

Thank you for bring it up

I would love to know about this case also.

Starting Score: 560
Current Score: ?
Goal Score: 800
Message 2 of 7
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Where was your score from?

Your score lowering is probably an effect of the new inq, and the new TL lowering your AAoA.
Message 3 of 7
E150GT
Frequent Contributor

The score was from scorewatch Myfico 

CSP-$8700, Amex BCE-17.2k, Chase Freedom-$5700
Discover It-$6600, USAA MC-$5900 Ink Bold- $12k United Explorer-$5k
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

So do Amex charge cards have any effect on credit bureaus?
Message 5 of 7
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

Keep in mind that although it does not factor into utilisation, it is still considered a card with a balance. I am sure a credit analyst would question a balance of 20000, even though it is not factored into the score.

Message 6 of 7
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

+1. AMEX charge cards are scored by FICO® as a card with a balance ~ however the balance itself isn't counted, with the exception of the TU98 FICO® score sold here which does include it.
March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.