Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

amex blacklist??

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: amex blacklist??

@gdale6 wrote:

This is excerpt from contract sent with AU cards unless its been changed recently

Even though you do not have an account with us, by each use of the Card to purchase goods or services in the US or abroad, you will be indicating your agreement to pay us the full amount of principle, interest and any fees incurred in that transaction if the Basic Cardmember fails or refuses to pay that obligation.

Your own credit may be affected by non-payment on the account. We may verify and exchange information on you, including requesting reports from credit reporting agencies, now or in the future.

That is a non-binding contract and legally un-enforceable.  

Think about it, AMEX even allows 15 year olds to be AU's.   15 year olds cannot legally consent to any financial agreement but AMEX sends the boilerplate anyways.

The AU cards are sent to the primary owner of the account, not the AU themselves.  There is no way for AMEX to say "we gave you the contract along with the card".  AMEX cannot prove that I agreed to the contract.  

They can't even prove that I received the contract in the first place since they mailed it to my dad.  Hell, when I give an AU card, I just give them the card and keep the paper for myself.

I am a perfect example that they cannot hold an AU responsible.  

My dad had an AMEX and BK'ed in 2013.  I used the card myself for around  5 years.

Like the OP, I was never asked to repay and I not only got my AMEX in my own name in 2014, I also backdated it to 2008

And my credit report still shows the burned AMEX "Closed-Paid in full" while my dad's is a derogatory account.

Message 11 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@gdale6 wrote:

This is excerpt from contract sent with AU cards unless its been changed recently

Even though you do not have an account with us, by each use of the Card to purchase goods or services in the US or abroad, you will be indicating your agreement to pay us the full amount of principle, interest and any fees incurred in that transaction if the Basic Cardmember fails or refuses to pay that obligation.

Your own credit may be affected by non-payment on the account. We may verify and exchange information on you, including requesting reports from credit reporting agencies, now or in the future.

That is a non-binding contract and legally un-enforceable.  

Think about it, AMEX even allows 15 year olds to be AU's.   15 year olds cannot legally consent to any financial agreement but AMEX sends the boilerplate anyways.

The AU cards are sent to the primary owner of the account, not the AU themselves.  There is no way for AMEX to say "we gave you the contract along with the card".  AMEX cannot prove that I agreed to the contract.  

They can't even prove that I received the contract in the first place since they mailed it to my dad.  Hell, when I give an AU card, I just give them the card and keep the paper for myself.

I am a perfect example that they cannot hold an AU responsible.  

My dad had an AMEX and BK'ed in 2013.  I used the card myself for around  5 years.

Like the OP, I was never asked to repay and I not only got my AMEX in my own name in 2014, I also backdated it to 2008

And my credit report still shows the burned AMEX "Closed-Paid in full" while my dad's is a derogatory account.

Interesting. It's probably there mostly as a CYA thing more than anything.

Message 12 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

I burned Amex in a 1982 bankruptcy. They let me back in this month. It only took 33 years.

Message 13 of 22
SomeGuyOnTheWeb
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I burned Amex in a 1982 bankruptcy. They let me back in this month. It only took 33 years.

On a serious note, I'm actually surprised they keep records from 1982! Even most women (no offense to anyone) don't hold a grudge for THAT long.

EQ - 727
TU - 752
EX - 774
Message 14 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@SomeGuyOnTheWeb wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

On a serious note, I'm actually surprised they keep records from 1982! Even most women (no offense to anyone) don't hold a grudge for THAT long.

I'm glad they keep records for a long time. They backdated that puppy to 1980!

Message 15 of 22
core
Valued Contributor

Interesting.  It would seem Amex's attorneys are unable to spell?

Message 16 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@core wrote:

Interesting.  It would seem Amex's attorneys are unable to spell?

LOL. This is what keeps it from being legally binding...We want you to pay the full amount, in principle, but if you don't we're kind of screwed.

Message 17 of 22
TheGardner
Valued Contributor

I don't think you will have an issue. If you apply and receive a HP, you are not on the BL. Only real way to find out for sure.

If denied for BL you would have a great chance at recon and removal from the BL.

Good luck!
If anyone needs me I will be In The Garden. Goal Score: 760 for all in 2015.
Current FICO Scores EX: 715 EQ: 756 TU: 762
Last APP April 21, 2015.
Victim of The great AMEX HP heist of Dec 1st, 2nd and 3rd of 2014.
Message 18 of 22
joedtx
Valued Contributor

AU's are not held responsible, and this one is from 1987.

Screen Shot 2015-05-02 at 8.03.53 AM.png

Message 19 of 22
Berk
Established Contributor

@joedtx wrote:

AU's are not held responsible, and this one is from 1987.

Screen Shot 2015-05-02 at 8.03.53 AM.png

Yep, they can't legally hold you responsible. Same thing as giving your kid a cell phone. That kid is now an authorized user (by you) of your cell phone account. Only thing is, Verizon doesn't send them the bill - it still comes to you. And, if you deffault on the bill, the only thing that happens to your kid is they can't use their Galaxy 6 anymore.

Message 20 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.