Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

amex blue cards - leave your comments

tag
jenrette
Valued Member

amex blue cards - leave your comments

How satisfied are you myFico users out there with the American Express blue/cash back/sky  line of cards?

-- 3/7/09 TU: 759 3/8/09 EQ: 730
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
greekjim
Contributor

Re: amex blue cards - leave your comments

Not happy with my blue's credit limit been stuck on $1,000 for a little more then 2 years

EQ- 727 5/12/10
TU- 746 5/12/10
Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@greekjim wrote:

Not happy with my blue's credit limit been stuck on $1,000 for a little more then 2 years

I have also been stuck with a $1000 CL for over 2 years so I don't use my card to often. Plus they took my luv button away from me so now I have to call and ask for a CLI. Smiley Mad

Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

No issues here, but I'm a long time Amex cardholder. I have a decent size credit line, but as far as the rewards go, there are better cards out there. I use this card primarily when I make large purchases for the buyer protection. As always, YMMV.

Message 4 of 13
DI
Super Contributor

I started with the Blue card August '09 with a limit of $2000.  I did a PC October '09 to Blue Cash and recieved a CLI to $2600.  I only use the card pay gym dues.  Haven't had any problems with the card. 

Message 5 of 13
GST2008
Frequent Contributor

I've had Blue since 2007, started w/ 2k limit, raised to 10k, then lowered to 7.6k last year.  Other than the decrease, no problems with it.  Still have a low APR and is linked with Business Gold on the rewards account which is nice.

Current:
TU (5/14/14): 796 (Inquiries; 8/23/13)
EQ (3/23/14): 791 (Inquiries: 8/23/13)
EX (9/24/13): 780 (Inquiries: 7/2/12; 11/20/12; 7/30/13; 8/23/13)

Goals: No new inquiries for 2014, 800 for all CRs by 12/31/14
Message 6 of 13
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

I have a Blue that I use when I want to purchase plane tickets or big itemsVery happy with the service, wish more places accepted it

The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 7 of 13
Regular Contributor

I've had an amex card for about 3 1/2 years and have a 10K limit.  I use it often and pay in full almost every month.  I rarely carry a balance with them.  I like their rewards program and it's simple...a dollar = a point.  Their protection services are really good too.  I had an item stolen at doorstep in my apartment and they credited the purchase...It was a small item only $45, but I was grateful that they did that.

Starting Score: 703
Current Score: 7/8/10: TU - 738 EQ - 750
Previous Score: 1/22/10: TU - 703 EQ - 714
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 8 of 13
CHARGE_IT
Regular Contributor

I have had Blue for about four years. The limit has doubled a few times, and is one of my highest limits. I have used this card predominantly for BTs, cycling one after the other as paid down. I now plan to use it a little more traditionally. I actually live off my Amex charge cards. (guarantees pif without temptation)

Don't mess with Blue unless you are sparkling clean. Blue, with large limits seems to be an award for long standing members who apply of it. Others don't seem to do as well. (there is no room for doubt with this card)

CI

Message 9 of 13
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

I have had the Blue for one year + one month, after having a Gold Rewards Something-or-Other for 11 months. I switched to Blue because I was too cheap to pay the fee for the Gold.

Original CL of $2,500, screwed up my courage several months ago and hit the luv button for $5K (double the original) and got it immediately. I know that the common wisdom is to ask for 3X, but (a) I'm chicken and (b) I'm chicken.

I have had great service with them, both on the Gold and now on the Blue. The rewards are eh, but unlike Chase, shall we say, they give out CLI's and the CSR's have always been great for me.

When it comes to asking for favors and whatnot, my philosophy is I don't mess with them, and they don't mess with me.

Since I have an MC World card with pretty much the same consumer protections, I don't really get warm fuzzies from AmEx in this area. But it's a good card, and I enjoy watching cashiers study the back, and then the front again, wondering where my signature should be.

DD#1 has a Blue Sky, but she barely uses it. She's one of those 780 types who never thinks about credit.

I couldn't begin to run enough charges through a Blue Cash to make it worthwhile for me, so I skipped it. But it can ge a great card for someone with a large family, or a big rent bill and other expenses that can be put on AmEx, and so forth. If you want to make a Blue Cash work for you, you pretty much have to make it your 99% of the time card. AmEx has a calculator on its site to let you see how much you would get back when on which type of purchases to make it start beating the competition in rewards.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.