Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

amex cards..

tag
afbar1114
Valued Contributor

Re: amex cards..

well maybe my score is high enough for it.....lol

AMEX PRG; AMEX EveryDay $14,800; Freedom $6k; Sapphire $7k; IHG Select $5k; Discover $2,400; BofA Better Balance $9,100; Bank Americard $5,900; Citi DC $2,700; Citi Diamond $2,500; BestBuy $20,000; Amazon Prime $5k, United Club $15,000; Home Depot $20,000; Barclays $7,500

Total Credit Limits: $122,650
Message 31 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

@afbar1114 wrote:

Your score might be, but you have quite a few inquiries and AMEX doesn't like inquiries.

Message 32 of 42
Ron1
Super Contributor

@afbar1114 wrote:

@Ron1 wrote:

The Zync is not a bad card to keep.  Amex cards is usually harder to get than charge cards.  It means they required higher score to get approved.

Ron.

what cards would be harder to get ?

I think BCE and Costco are harder to get. Charge Cards should be easy to get.

Ron.

Message 33 of 42
Ron1
Super Contributor

@afbar1114 wrote:

You might be able to get Amex Green with your score.

Ron.

Message 34 of 42
JustMe77
Frequent Contributor

The two Amex cards I think I will ultimately try for are BCP and Blue Sky.

At first I wasn't sure if BCP made sense for me (I buy a lot of groceries at Costco and Target (5% target debit discount)), but then I realized you can buy gift cards at the grocery store and I'll get the 6% for those...so I'm definitely getting BCP. Blue Sky is nice for a straight 1.3% reward on everything, which I would use for non-category reward spending. I thought about the Costco card, but it doesn't make much sense for me if I do get the BCP. You would think the Costco card gave you more than 1% back at Costco, lol. 

I have Zync now. The *only* reason I have it is because I wanted an Amex account open now to help me get the revolving cards later. The $25 AF only gets you a 1% reward, and their gift card selection (where you get the most for your points) is limited. I do buy quite a bit at Whole Foods, and the free Eco pack on the Zync gives you 2% at  Whole Foods (an extra 1% + the standard 1%). The home pack was tempting (it's $15 but you get a $20 gift card to Lowes), as was the Beauty pack (another pack where a gift card outweighs the AF). Ultimately, I didn't sign up for any packs but the free ones. I'm closing the Zync as soon as I get either Blue Sky or BCP.

Current Cards: Banana Republic Visa ($5,300), Chase Freedom ($2,000), Discover It ($11,500), Amex Costco True Earnings ($5,000), Chase Slate ($2,500)
Message 35 of 42
anderl
Frequent Contributor

Delta Reserve , Platinum Charge, and SPG are my favsSmiley Happy

Amex Platinum Charge(NPSL); Starwood Amex Preferred CC(20K CL); Diners Club ELITE MC(20K);Diners Club Premier MC(20K,could've sworn the rep said 25k, oh well lol);Delta Amex Reserve CC(21K CL); Amex PRG Charge(NPSL); United Presidential Plus Chase World Elite MC (15K CL); AARP Chase Visa Signature(35K CL); NFCU Visa Platinum(20K CL) NFCU LOC(15K); NFCU Go Rewards MC(17.5K); Disover IT 7.8K;
First Tech Federal Visa Platinum(15K CL); Simmons First Visa Platinum(9K CL); Wells Fargo Visa Platinum(7.5K CL); CitiBank Sears MC(6K CL); JCPenney Card(7.5K CL); Lowes(2.5K CL);Barclays Mile & More Lufthansa 12.5K.
Message 36 of 42
Open123
Super Contributor

If I had to pick "one" AmEx card, it would be the SPG.  The Starwoods rewards program is the best in the business.  20k starwoods points receive a 20% bonus to any frequent flyer model, not to mention a whopping 5X when using the card at any of their properties.

But, for a straight 30k spending with airfare, the PR Gold can't be beat, especially when MR points can convert--if used opportunistically--at a rate of 5% for frequent mile bonuses.  For example, last year, I found a deal to transfer MR points at a 50% bonus clip, and took advantage of a special from an airline to upgrade to business class for 60,000 miles.  The $ cost of the upgrade would have been around $1,500.  With the 50% bonus MR conversion, I only used 40,000 MR points for something worth %1,500.

The above illustrates why if used properly, MR points are superior to cash rewards.

Message 37 of 42
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

I've had the Green since last May. I'll get to see how well the MR points work out for me when I book a trip later this year. But, I don't really travel extensively, so in general I tend to like cash back cards. The BCE looks really good, so if I were to get another Amex at some point that would be the one on my list.

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 38 of 42
learnin113
Established Contributor

I use my Zync like a debit card.  Love it.

Message 39 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

Recently got platinum. Been getting email offers from Amex. Today I had an offer for money off of an Emerites flight. Enjoying the card so far.

Message 40 of 42
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.