Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

amex clear vs amex blue vs amex blue cash

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

amex clear vs amex blue vs amex blue cash

Does anyone have an opinion on these three when compared to eachother? After having the premier rewards gold card for 6 months (and running aprox 3k per month through it) its now time for me to app for one of these Smiley Happy

Hopefully Amex will see that i have been a good customer so far and approve me!

All thoughts appreciated.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
wollepopolle
Established Contributor

Re: amex clear vs amex blue vs amex blue cash

I've only had the Blue Cash. If you run a lot of money through it, it might be the best bet among the three that you named as you'll harvest the higher cashback once you go beyond $6500k within a year. I don't run a lot of money through it, so it is now my second choice when paying. The Blue, from what I've read, has fewer rewards. I don't know much about the Clear. I have not seen the Clear being discussed much here either. I'd be curious to learn more myself.

What I like about any Amex is that if you treat them well, they will give you generous credit lines.

Message 2 of 6
JM-AM
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Does anyone have an opinion on these three when compared to eachother? After having the premier rewards gold card for 6 months (and running aprox 3k per month through it) its now time for me to app for one of these Smiley Happy

Hopefully Amex will see that i have been a good customer so far and approve me!

All thoughts appreciated.

I haven't as of yet looked at any of the card differences myself yet but it is on my things to do list for tonight or tomorrow. As far as AMEX seeing you are a good customer for approval I wouldn't see why not. I just applied for the Gold Card last week received on Monday and registered on site to activate card and they were already offering me the AMEX SKY BLUE and AMEX SKY PREFERRED BLUE. Since I am in credit gardening mode I did not opt for either. 

I am sure some one with experience with those cards will chime in on the differences and benefits.

Good Luck

Good Luck
May all your dreams and wishes become a reality!
Message 3 of 6
wollepopolle
Established Contributor

Wise choice! Smiley Very Happy Must resist temptation.... must resist temptation...

@JM-AM wrote:

I just applied for the Gold Card last week received on Monday and registered on site to activate card and they were already offering me the AMEX SKY BLUE and AMEX SKY PREFERRED BLUE. Since I am in credit gardening mode I did not opt for either. 

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I originally had the Blue Cash but I converted to Clear.

With Blue Cash you have to spend a lot to maximize rewards (more than $6,500). You also have to worry about spending in the "everyday purchases" category which is only fuel and grocery stores excluding Wal-mart supercenter. Also, the reward is a statement credit to your account only once a year on your anniversary date.

With the Clear card every time you spend $2,500 you get a prepaid card worth $25 but Amex waits until the following month to credit your account and send out the card. So if you spend $2,500 this billing period your next statement will not show this. You have to wait for the following statement. The prepaid card has 25 points that count as $25 and there is an expiration date on the card. Also, the free credit report is not good because Amex wants you to sign up for an account with their credit secure which will start charging monthly fees after the free trial period unless you call in to cancel.

On the plus side the free extended warranty on purchases make these cards great for making large electronic purchases. Amex will match the 1 year manufacture's and repair or replace your item. I had to get an Apple laptop repaired at the apple store and Amex paid the bill via statement credit.

Message 5 of 6
wollepopolle
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I originally had the Blue Cash but I converted to Clear.

With Blue Cash you have to spend a lot to maximize rewards (more than $6,500). You also have to worry about spending in the "everyday purchases" category which is only fuel and grocery stores excluding Wal-mart supercenter. Also, the reward is a statement credit to your account only once a year on your anniversary date.

and drugstores, I believe.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.