Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

amex everyday a joke?

tag
fot1
Established Contributor

Re: amex everyday a joke?

@Josh2942 wrote:
Yeah but if you aren't spending a lot of money 20% of 3 dollars is nothing. Anybody can charge 20 items but are they of sustenance to make an extra 20% worth it compared to 5% categories.

That is just to make the 20 swipes for bonus, then do you normal usuage and reap those points.

Too many to list..
Message 41 of 71
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@fot1 wrote:

@Josh2942 wrote:
Yeah but if you aren't spending a lot of money 20% of 3 dollars is nothing. Anybody can charge 20 items but are they of sustenance to make an extra 20% worth it compared to 5% categories.

That is just to make the 20 swipes for bonus, then do you normal usuage and reap those points.

Precisely!  THis was just for those saying that it would be hard to make 20 swipes (or 30 swipes for the preferred).  It isn't hard, but only the individual can determine if it is worth the effort compared to using other cards.

Message 42 of 71
Josh2942
Established Contributor

We'll it's quite easy and I'll break it down. I pbuy groceries everywhere two weeks. I live with just my fiancé. That's 2 swipes. Than we buy gas. We share the Infiniti Q50 hybrid which we only have to fill up twice a month. That's 4 swipes. We prepare our own meals for work but we usually buy something extra once or twice a week. Assuming we bought something extra twice a week that would equal 8 swipes plus the four mentioned before to equal 12 swipes. Now that is us and by no means represents to majority. Obviously we are talking about AmEx spenders which typically spend more or even just swipe more. I used to travel to Starbucks twice a day and Dunkin Donuts every night for a vanilla chai. Let's get back to to point that it isn't swipes it purchases. 20 purchases is obviously reasonable with bills online. But swiping is difficult for some and not for others. Case closed.
Jaguar F-Type R Loan 50K Balance
Goldman Sachs Signature Loan $29,000 TU 750 score pulled at time of loan.
Student Loan Debt $1,500
Credit Card Debt $300 1>% of $166,700
FAKO Transunion 723 Equifax 744
What's in my wallet? Chase Sapphire Reserve, Chase Freedom Unlimited, and AMEX Blue for Business
Message 43 of 71
fot1
Established Contributor

@Josh2942 wrote:
We'll it's quite easy and I'll break it down. I pbuy groceries everywhere two weeks. I live with just my fiancé. That's 2 swipes. Than we buy gas. We share the Infiniti Q50 hybrid which we only have to fill up twice a month. That's 4 swipes. We prepare our own meals for work but we usually buy something extra once or twice a week. Assuming we bought something extra twice a week that would equal 8 swipes plus the four mentioned before to equal 12 swipes. Now that is us and by no means represents to majority. Obviously we are talking about AmEx spenders which typically spend more or even just swipe more. I used to travel to Starbucks twice a day and Dunkin Donuts every night for a vanilla chai. Let's get back to to point that it isn't swipes it purchases. 20 purchases is obviously reasonable with bills online. But swiping is difficult for some and not for others. Case closed.

Then don't get the card..lol Some cards fit some better then others..

Too many to list..
Message 44 of 71
Josh2942
Established Contributor

I feel like everyone reads selectively for some reason. I mention how it would work for me and than that it is deffitently possible at the end. Nobody reads the bottom.... I know it won't work for me so I haven't applied for it. For everybody else that is like me who doesn't think they can meet the requirement DONT GET THIS CARD. now that we all understand this lets call it a night on this one.
Jaguar F-Type R Loan 50K Balance
Goldman Sachs Signature Loan $29,000 TU 750 score pulled at time of loan.
Student Loan Debt $1,500
Credit Card Debt $300 1>% of $166,700
FAKO Transunion 723 Equifax 744
What's in my wallet? Chase Sapphire Reserve, Chase Freedom Unlimited, and AMEX Blue for Business
Message 45 of 71
ztnjpv
Established Contributor

The card is not a joke at all. It's targeted at a certain consumer and the logic behind it is obvious:

collect lots of transaction fees.

That Amex gives full MR points (like with the PRG or Gold for example) on a no fee card is very unique. But they feel they can manage it by getting more swipe fees because they are incentivizing high frequency usage. Heck, even the hefty points for such a relatively low AF with the Preferred version is this same logic taken to an even higher level. 

Amex is obviously not targeting everyone with this card. People with multiple rewards cards are obviously not an ideal target for amex. It's tough to get that many transactions on one card if you divide your usage out to highest reward card for each purchase. BUT, that's not most people. Most people are more simplified with one or two cards. 

OTOH, I am eyeing up the no fee version for a possible no AF safe house to park my MR points collected on my Biz Gold before the AF is due. ;-)

Start (Sept 2011): low-mid 600s. NOW: TU FICO: 801, EQ FICO 808, EX FICO 798 (PSECU). Goal: Achieved! Now Maintain!
Message 46 of 71
steve23111
Frequent Contributor

I just checked my last 3 AMEX statements and I have averaged 135 transactions per month over the period.  I pretty much use my AMEX for everything, though.

Message 47 of 71
bigblue7722
Valued Contributor

@steve23111 wrote:

I just checked my last 3 AMEX statements and I have averaged 135 transactions per month over the period.  I pretty much use my AMEX for everything, though.

you must be losing money somewhere with those 135 transactions compared to a freedom/it/sallie mae combo

AMEX PRG NPSL,Lowes $17000,Capital One venture card $12,000,Us Airways mastercard $9500,Fidelity Amex $9000, Discover it $8000, Capital One Venture One $7500, BOA 123 rewards $7500 CSP $6000, Capital One Quicksliver $5500, Amazon Store card$5000,Barclay
Card Ring $5000 Chase Marriott $5000,Chase Hyatt $5000, Sallie Mae Mastercard $4400, Paypal smart connect $4000,Chase Freedom $3200, Capital one Quicksliver visa $3000, Chase IHG Rewards $2300, Chase Southwest Premier $2000, Citi Double Cash $1500, AMEX BCE $1000

Last app July 22nd 2015- No apps for two years.
Message 48 of 71
parakleet
Valued Contributor

@bigblue7722 wrote:

@steve23111 wrote:

you must be losing money somewhere with those 135 transactions compared to a freedom/it/sallie mae combo

Not if their goal is to rack up MR points.

Gardening since 7/16/14
Current: EQ 711 7/13/14; EX 724 TU 721 6/19/14
Goal: 760+
Message 49 of 71
bigblue7722
Valued Contributor

@parakleet wrote:

@bigblue7722 wrote:

@steve23111 wrote:

Not if their goal is to rack up MR points.

yeah I hear you but are the points worth more than 5% to which your gonna transfer them too? If not your still losing money.

AMEX PRG NPSL,Lowes $17000,Capital One venture card $12,000,Us Airways mastercard $9500,Fidelity Amex $9000, Discover it $8000, Capital One Venture One $7500, BOA 123 rewards $7500 CSP $6000, Capital One Quicksliver $5500, Amazon Store card$5000,Barclay
Card Ring $5000 Chase Marriott $5000,Chase Hyatt $5000, Sallie Mae Mastercard $4400, Paypal smart connect $4000,Chase Freedom $3200, Capital one Quicksliver visa $3000, Chase IHG Rewards $2300, Chase Southwest Premier $2000, Citi Double Cash $1500, AMEX BCE $1000

Last app July 22nd 2015- No apps for two years.
Message 50 of 71
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.