Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

amex fr question.

tag
Nightfallx
New Contributor

Re: amex fr question.

I did leave it alone I'll probably just close it when I get the card bc I don't want it to be on my report that they closed it on their behalf, I just got my job this summer so my last years taxes won't help me. Amex is to touchy for my taste lol
in my wallet:
Amex Zync : NPSL (main card always pif)
Discover More: 6,500$ (no balance)
Chase Sapphire : 5000.00$ (no balance)
Citi Thank You Card backed by Amex 8,200$ (no balance)
Amex Blue Cash 21,000$
Best Buy Store Card : 5,700$ (I'm a nerd so used a lot)
Message 11 of 20
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@Nightfallx wrote:
I did leave it alone I'll probably just close it when I get the card bc I don't want it to be on my report that they closed it on their behalf, I just got my job this summer so my last years taxes won't help me. Amex is to touchy for my taste lol

But why would you close it, without any AA coming from AmEx?

I disagree with your last sentence: I haven't found AmEx to be touchy in the least.

One thing that's important to remember with online forums: It's awfully easy to spin your personal story before posting it. Smiley Wink Not everyone who was F/R'd was completely open and transparent, at least not here. Smiley Wink

(Again, my apologies and sympathy to those who got F/R'd. It's no fun and all, and I'm certainly not saying that you brought it on yourselves.)

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 12 of 20
Nightfallx
New Contributor

Is it bad to cancel an account before getting your card?
in my wallet:
Amex Blue Cash 21,000$
Message 13 of 20
FloridaState12
Established Contributor

Why cancel it? I think you're overacting a bit. 

You realize how many millions of customers AMEX has, right? Compared to how many people that get FR'd? It's a teeny tiny amount. 

Even if they do FR you, as soon as they send you the letter or call or whatever it may be, immediately tell them you wish to close the account. That way YOU closed it, not them. 

Photobucket
Message 14 of 20
improvingmycredit
Valued Contributor

I agree with Hauling... No need to close the account. I can tell you that I had my card for a week then got FR'd having charged $35. It's weird but not the norm. Now that I have been through the process- it's business as usual. I use the card like a debit card and am getting 10000 MRs points to boot cause I've already spent $350+ this month. You will love the card and you shouldn't jump the gun on closing it. When I spoke to the rep, he told me that they do this process on some new accounts. The chances of it happening to you are slim as long as you "fly under the radar".

Starting Score: 642
Current Score: EQ 773, EX 780, TU 777 (All FICO)
Goal Score: 800+

Cards: NFCU Flagship 50K, DC 30K, BCP 28.6K, Arrival+ 25K, Citi DP 22.8K, CSR 20.5K, TotalRewards 25K, QuickSilver 20K

Message 15 of 20
Nightfallx
New Contributor

Thanks that sounds better, just Reading all the horror stories makes me cringe. Thanks for lighting up the situation
in my wallet:
Amex Blue Cash 21,000$
Message 16 of 20
clocktick
Valued Contributor

Honestly, there really aren't a lot of horror stories.  There are some stories on here in myfico land but, to me, it seems like a such a rarity.  I also doubt it's random too.

11/30/08 TU 648 EX 672 EQ 656 SEPT 2014 TU 787 EX 789 EQ ???
Amex BCP $24.1K/Clear $8.5- Sallie Mae $27.5 -Cap One QS $7.5 - Chase Freedom $7.5/United $5k/CSP $20k/Ink- Citi DP $9.5/Dividend $13k/HHHx2 $15k/16.4/Reserve $4.5k Best Buy $1940 HD $1701- Discover IT $15k - Elan $8k GEMB Lowes $20k - Macy's $2k - Kohl's $800

Starting Score: 648
Current Score: 736
Goal Score: 765

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 17 of 20
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

@Nightfallx wrote:
I work as a pizza driver I make minimum wage plus tips it equals to about 15$ an hour. It's hard for me to prove what I make....

Be sure to declare your tips when you do your taxes next. If ever FR'd in the future, they'd look at your gross income as declared on your 1040. If that additional income isn't listed, then they won't consider it and it'll be an issue for you on future apps w/ lenders, especially mortgage or car.

Message 18 of 20
tntexans72
Valued Contributor

@impovingmycredit wrote:
I agree with Hauling... No need to close the account. I can tell you that I had my card for a week then got FR'd having charged $35. It's weird but not the norm. Now that I have been through the process- it's business as usual. I use the card like a debit card and am getting 10000 MRs points to boot cause I've already spent $350+ this month. You will love the card and you shouldn't jump the gun on closing it. When I spoke to the rep, he told me that they do this process on some new accounts. The chances of it happening to you are slim as long as you "fly under the radar".

Could it just be a random FR?

Just doesn't make any sense Amex approved you, sent you the card, and FR after you swiped it for $35?

I think maybe the computer just randomly pick ppl to FR?

Message 19 of 20
improvingmycredit
Valued Contributor

Even though it was insinuated that I was somehow randomly picked, I personally don't believe it. I think it had everything to do with the types of accounts listed on my CR. Most of my accounts are starter cards with not great limits, and though my FICO was good enough to be approved, when analyzed...concerns maybe and thus FR??? Just my opinion and thoughts. YMMV. Anyway- as always- I strongly suggest that one be honest on applications and only apply for what one needs.

Starting Score: 642
Current Score: EQ 773, EX 780, TU 777 (All FICO)
Goal Score: 800+

Cards: NFCU Flagship 50K, DC 30K, BCP 28.6K, Arrival+ 25K, Citi DP 22.8K, CSR 20.5K, TotalRewards 25K, QuickSilver 20K

Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.