Did you mean: 

amex green and BK

tag
pokerpro
Frequent Contributor

amex green and BK

hello everyone

i have been an AU on my wifes amex blue since 2008

i applied for amex PR gold in 2012 and was rejected for three reasons ( after manual review)

BK on file - 2004 discharge

too few accounts paid as agreed

no open installment loans (only car loan showing was paid off)

i took their denial constructively and opened three tradélines , discover, walmart, barclays plus an Auto loan

fast forward to day - i have no inquiries in 2013, 1% utilization

is it worth it to apply again? or just i just wait 9 more months for BK to drop off - it is so old that it should really fäctor in anymore!

BK7 Discharge: October 2004 Starting Score: 590 March 2018 EQ & EX & TU FICO Score: 846 & 847 & 850

Goal Score: 800+ across the board | Goals Hit: 3 Active Cards: 2

Gardening Since: October 2015 Garden Goal: Oct 2018

Wish List: | None

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: amex green and BK

@pokerpro wrote:

hello everyone

i have been an AU on my wifes amex blue since 2008

i applied for amex PR gold in 2012 and was rejected for three reasons ( after manual review)

BK on file - 2004 discharge

too few accounts paid as agreed

no open installment loans (only car loan showing was paid off)

i took their denial constructively and opened three tradélines , discover, walmart, barclays plus an Auto loan

fast forward to day - i have no inquiries in 2013, 1% utilization

is it worth it to apply again? or just i just wait 9 more months for BK to drop off - it is so old that it should really fäctor in anymore!

I would apply for the Preferred Rewards Gold over the green.

Message 2 of 11
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Some get approved with older BKs on file others don't, it would depend on the strength of your overall credit profile.

Message 3 of 11
pokerpro
Frequent Contributor

well

open accounts are

three individual - walmart (6k) , barclays (3k) disover (1500)

two joint - sapphire preferred 10k and macys (5k)

AU- sears, (2k) amex blue (8k)

oldet is macys 1997

average age about 4 years

i know - its only three indivdual tradeline, but i hope the joint account do count

änd i was siĉk of capitalone orchard and the  likes of household bank with their absured interet and AF so i ĉlosed them all

BK7 Discharge: October 2004 Starting Score: 590 March 2018 EQ & EX & TU FICO Score: 846 & 847 & 850

Goal Score: 800+ across the board | Goals Hit: 3 Active Cards: 2

Gardening Since: October 2015 Garden Goal: Oct 2018

Wish List: | None

Message 4 of 11
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@pokerpro wrote:

well

open accounts are

oldet is macys 1997

i know - its only three indivdual tradeline, but i hope the joint account do count

änd i was siĉk of capitalone orchard and the  likes of household bank with their absured interet and AF so i ĉlosed them all

Since you have no INQ's, won't really hurt you even if denied.

Message 5 of 11
one4343
New Visitor

You got a keep trying with amex.  My BK was discharged in 2006.  I applied 3 times before I was approved with only $1100 credit line, but that's a step in the door.  I never heard of anyone getting approved with amex with BK still reporting.  So I got Really lucky!!!!

Message 6 of 11
greatness1
Contributor

Depends on amex internal scoring and the strength of your credit profile. My Bk is due to fall off in 9 months and amex was in bk. Recently i was approved for amex bce $1500, amex everday $5000, chase freedom $2200. Good luck, just last year i was approved for discover $1500 now 6k.

amex bc $15kl amex bce $1.5kl bbva amex $7kl freedom $3.1kl, csp $5.8kl sallie mae $5.7kl venture $7kl citi dc $10kl discover $13kl assoc bank $7kl nasa fcu $18.1kl penfed plat rewards $15kl penfed plat rewards $22kl lowes $17kl walmart $6kl

nasa ploc 17k
Total limit $163,200K
Message 7 of 11
eagle2013
Established Contributor

What's your EX fico? since you have no inqs and a very old BK; if your ex fico is around 690 it maybe worth it to app for the PRG now instead of waiting another 9 months to fall off.
Message 8 of 11
Weights
Regular Contributor

@pokerpro wrote:

well

open accounts are

oldet is macys 1997

It sounds like you have come a bit of ways since your discharge, and I certainly commend you for that.  As others have said, AMEX will sometimes approve with a BK showing if it's around or older than 7-8 years; results are mixed.  If you can hold off for another 9 months, I'd probably just wait it out to avoid too many inquiries in a short period of time.  If you want to pull the trigger now, I think your chances are fair to good, so long as you don't have any recent baddies or high utilization.  I'd say your chances are good once the BK drops, given the above. 

Message 9 of 11
compassion101
Established Contributor

I have an Aug '04 BK. Apped for AMEX in 2010 and was denied. Apped again a few months ago and was accepted. My scores were around 720ish which is much better than they were in 2010. Good luck!

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.