cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

amex jetblue or another travel rewards card?

tag
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: amex jetblue or another travel rewards card?

@johnpalley wrote:

so guys does this mean every flight and vacation package i book through jet blue i get an extra 8% of the money i just spent for future flights? im also wondering if the points ever expire?

when i flew jet blue before they told me the points would expire. i didnt have the jet blue card though

So on the trueblue page itself (https://trueblue.jetblue.com/web/trueblue/home)

Points don't expire

Message 11 of 17
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@johnpalley wrote:

@B335is wrote:

@johnpalley wrote:

@B335is wrote:

I would look at SPG or CSP.  The points are easily transferable to just about any airline, you just don't have all the little nice-ities like free first bag (obviously not an issue with jetBlue) or inflight food discounts.  The airline branded cards are good for the signup bonus, but unless you're a very airline specific loyal frequent flyer with high annual spend, there isn't much reason to keep them beyond 1 year.

i dont wanna be rude b33 but you really didnt answer any of my questions. guys when we finally get down to the specific info lets break down what il get per $100 spend

If you spend $100 on Arrival, you get 200 points assuming you go for the AF version.  If you spend $100 on non-B6 spending on the B6 Amex you get 100 True Blue points.  Arrival is a cash back card marketed as a travel card and the difference is how you redeem your points.  The AF version gets 2 points per dollar, but to get the maximum (2.2%) back you have to redeem travel related charges only.  Otherwise it's a flat 1% card if you redeem for non-travel related charges.  Once the AF hits at year 1 ($95) you have to account for that in your spending or PC to a non-AF version.  No I don't have the dollar amount for each point earned on an Arrival versus the jetBlue Amex nor am I aware one exists.

I tried a number of domestic jetBlue bookings.  DTW-BOS-DTW towards the end of may is 5,300 to 8,300 each way.  LGB-EWR-LGB (with stops) can go as low as 12,600 to 26,800 points each way.  So I'm not sure 20,000 bonus points would really take you much farther than 40,000 Arrival points which could be redeemed for $440 in travel related expenses.

im not sure what this b6 is your talkin about. this is so confusing when we break this down in points and not dollars. are you saying on the arrival every $100 i spend i get $2.20 back as long as i use it towards a flight?

On FlyerTalk you would have already been yelled out for asking questions answered in many threads, but since this is Friendly Supportive Kind MyFico (Our motto is "We Suffer Fools Gladly") the answer is "Yes"   The annual fee arrival is a 2% card, so 2 points per $.   When redeemed for travel, each point is worth 1c, AND you get to keep 10% of the points so redeemed.  So $100 earns 200 points, worth $2 for travel, and I get to keep 20 of the points, worth 20 cents

ETA: Not just flights.  Arrival has a broad definition of travel, including things like tolls and taxis as well as hotels etc.

Message 12 of 17
johnpalley
Established Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@johnpalley wrote:

so guys does this mean every flight and vacation package i book through jet blue i get an extra 8% of the money i just spent for future flights? im also wondering if the points ever expire?

when i flew jet blue before they told me the points would expire. i didnt have the jet blue card though

So on the trueblue page itself (https://trueblue.jetblue.com/web/trueblue/home)

Points don't expire

appreciate it brotha!

Message 13 of 17
injustifiiable
Valued Contributor

JetBlue points used to expire but they changed that a couple years back.

B6 is their code..hahah.

Scores 5/15/2016 (clean reports!): TU Walmart FICO: 696 | EQ FICO: 679 | EX AMEX FICO: 680

In my new wallet: American Express Green EMV: PSL $2000 | BankAmericard Cash Rewards Visa EMV: $2500 | Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World MasterCard: $6400 | Barclaycard Arrival World MasterCard: $1000 | Discover IT: $2500 | Amazon Rewards Visa Signature: $1500 | Chase Freedom: $1500 | Capital One QuicksilverOne MasterCard: $2100 | Target: $2800 | J.Crew $21,550 | Marvel (Captain America) MasterCard: $6000
Message 14 of 17
johnpalley
Established Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@johnpalley wrote:

@B335is wrote:

@johnpalley wrote:

@B335is wrote:

I would look at SPG or CSP.  The points are easily transferable to just about any airline, you just don't have all the little nice-ities like free first bag (obviously not an issue with jetBlue) or inflight food discounts.  The airline branded cards are good for the signup bonus, but unless you're a very airline specific loyal frequent flyer with high annual spend, there isn't much reason to keep them beyond 1 year.

i dont wanna be rude b33 but you really didnt answer any of my questions. guys when we finally get down to the specific info lets break down what il get per $100 spend

If you spend $100 on Arrival, you get 200 points assuming you go for the AF version.  If you spend $100 on non-B6 spending on the B6 Amex you get 100 True Blue points.  Arrival is a cash back card marketed as a travel card and the difference is how you redeem your points.  The AF version gets 2 points per dollar, but to get the maximum (2.2%) back you have to redeem travel related charges only.  Otherwise it's a flat 1% card if you redeem for non-travel related charges.  Once the AF hits at year 1 ($95) you have to account for that in your spending or PC to a non-AF version.  No I don't have the dollar amount for each point earned on an Arrival versus the jetBlue Amex nor am I aware one exists.

I tried a number of domestic jetBlue bookings.  DTW-BOS-DTW towards the end of may is 5,300 to 8,300 each way.  LGB-EWR-LGB (with stops) can go as low as 12,600 to 26,800 points each way.  So I'm not sure 20,000 bonus points would really take you much farther than 40,000 Arrival points which could be redeemed for $440 in travel related expenses.

im not sure what this b6 is your talkin about. this is so confusing when we break this down in points and not dollars. are you saying on the arrival every $100 i spend i get $2.20 back as long as i use it towards a flight?

On FlyerTalk you would have already been yelled out for asking questions answered in many threads, but since this is Friendly Supportive Kind MyFico (Our motto is "We Suffer Fools Gladly") the answer is "Yes"   The annual fee arrival is a 2% card, so 2 points per $.   When redeemed for travel, each point is worth 1c, AND you get to keep 10% of the points so redeemed.  So $100 earns 200 points, worth $2 for travel, and I get to keep 20 of the points, worth 20 cents

i figured id get screamed at sooner or later lol. i just think they make stuff way too hard to understand. all a person wants to know is how much damn money am i gettin! lol.. cool you answered my question thanks. now i just need to figure out how much money i get per $100 spent on the jet blue card for flights and vacations? plus non airline related stuff. after that i can break everything down myself

Message 15 of 17
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

@johnpalley wrote:

@B335is wrote:

@johnpalley wrote:

@B335is wrote:

Sorry it's their 2-letter designator.  B6=jetBlue

I'll try this again.  The Arrival uses the term "miles" and you get 2 miles for every dollar you spend, assuming you make a travel related charge with the card and later redeem miles from your account.  I have my account pulled up now and if I redeem 40,000 miles for cash back, I get $200 back.  Now, let's say I have a posted charge of $500 for an airline ticket I purchased with my Arrival card.  I also have the option to cash those 40,000 miles in for $400 back.  By choosing that travel related redemption, I get 10% of the miles put back (4,000 miles) into my account.  I can now redeem those 4,000 miles for $40.  So my $500 ticket only cost me $60.

With the Amex jetBlue card, you only get 8x points for purchases made directly with jetBlue.  It sounds great, but if you had to fly to Omaha they won't get you there.  They also don't redeem flights for just a flat number of miles, it varies based on how many award seats are still available on the flights you choose.  

Message 16 of 17
johnpalley
Established Contributor

@B335is wrote:

@johnpalley wrote:

@B335is wrote:

@johnpalley wrote:

@B335is wrote:

Sorry it's their 2-letter designator.  B6=jetBlue

I'll try this again.  The Arrival uses the term "miles" and you get 2 miles for every dollar you spend, assuming you make a travel related charge with the card and later redeem miles from your account.  I have my account pulled up now and if I redeem 40,000 miles for cash back, I get $200 back.  Now, let's say I have a posted charge of $500 for an airline ticket I purchased with my Arrival card.  I also have the option to cash those 40,000 miles in for $400 back.  By choosing that travel related redemption, I get 10% of the miles put back (4,000 miles) into my account.  I can now redeem those 4,000 miles for $40.  So my $500 ticket only cost me $60.

With the Amex jetBlue card, you only get 8x points for purchases made directly with jetBlue.  It sounds great, but if you had to fly to Omaha they won't get you there.  They also don't redeem flights for just a flat number of miles, it varies based on how many award seats are still available on the flights you choose.  

you so lost me on that one lol i have no idea what your talkin about. please dont even bother explaining it anymore me and you just speak a different language when it comes to this stuff. i appreciate you tryin to help though

my main concern now is approx how much money i get back per $100 with the jetblue card

Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.