Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

amex membership reward points best use

tag
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

Re: amex membership reward points best use

@zerbherb wrote:

aerofloat seems like the best course of action. United is my airline of choice. Can you transfer there miles to united 1.1, i generally fly domestic but occasionaly go to israel. Also i usually sit in economy class unless i feel splurging.

also can't i just get past the delta surge transfer charge by always transfering 995 miles, then doing the other 50 later on. United seems to be no better with miles, they both charge 25k miles to chicago one way.

i would open up an aeroplan account and then you can see how much they charge for domestic us flights that are flown on United. You can then see if they are major fuel surcharges. I am not 100% sure what they charge because if i were to fly domestic i would fly on US airways/AA via ba avios. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 11 of 17
ibmrad7
Established Contributor

@mongstradamus wrote:

@zerbherb wrote:

aerofloat seems like the best course of action. United is my airline of choice. Can you transfer there miles to united 1.1, i generally fly domestic but occasionaly go to israel. Also i usually sit in economy class unless i feel splurging.

also can't i just get past the delta surge transfer charge by always transfering 995 miles, then doing the other 50 later on. United seems to be no better with miles, they both charge 25k miles to chicago one way.

i would open up an aeroplan account and then you can see how much they charge for domestic us flights that are flown on United. You can then see if they are major fuel surcharges. I am not 100% sure what they charge because if i were to fly domestic i would fly on US airways/AA via ba avios. 

They charge same amount of miles as United itself. A one way ticket costing 12500 United miles is what it's going to cost in Aeroplan currency. Also Aeroplan's tax/surchages on domestic United flights is always less than United's own surcharges.

Message 12 of 17
bigbang91
Established Contributor

@zerbherb wrote:

Guys i have no idea what to do with membership reward points. They do not transfer the points to united, should i just dump all of them in delta and then eventually app for the delta card?

suggestions?

If you fly united, transfer them to Singapore Krisflyer, you then can book United flight, thus Singapore Air give you 15% miles back, a great deal

Message 13 of 17
bigbang91
Established Contributor

@mongstradamus wrote:

@zerbherb wrote:

Aeroplane charges more than Singapore, so Singapore Krisflyer would be best to transfer for StarAlliance usage

Message 14 of 17
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@bigbang91 wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@zerbherb wrote:

Aeroplane charges more than Singapore, so Singapore Krisflyer would be best to transfer for StarAlliance usage

thats definately good to know. I wasn't sure on how much they charged since if i were to use MR for domestic i probably would to ba avios to AA. I owuld probably do that with both of my UR and MR points i think.

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 15 of 17
jsucool76
Super Contributor

yes. both ultimate rewards and membership rewards transfer to British airways. definitely wait for a nice bonus if you're not in a rush though.
Message 16 of 17
bigbang91
Established Contributor

@mongstradamus wrote:

@bigbang91 wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@zerbherb wrote:

thats definately good to know. I wasn't sure on how much they charged since if i were to use MR for domestic i probably would to ba avios to AA. I owuld probably do that with both of my UR and MR points i think.

Avios is good for short distance and nonstop flight, medium distance to transcontinental  maybe consider singapore to flight on united, 

Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.