Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

amex. new app or wait for upgrade?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

amex. new app or wait for upgrade?

I applied for amex green card in dec 2010. I regret that I didnt apply for the platinum card since I travel overseas 5-6 times a year and coast to coast many times as well and therefor could have taken advantage of airport lounge and other travel benefits with the card. I was told that I need to wait 13 months before I can upgrade my green to platinum.

I was also told by CSR that I also could apply now for a new Platinum card and that would be a new application w hard inq.

Should I wait applying until I have 6 months of history with amex ?
or apply now ?
any thoughts on my chances of approval ?
how important is amex-history to amex?

here is my scores etc:

TU 783, EX 752, EQ: 761
citi secured 11 months old. 200 limit:
closed cap1 3 years old. 500 limit.
and then my amex green. 2 months old.
95k income. no baddies at all.
aaoa: 2 years and 1 month
EX: only 1 inq within the last year and that was amex in dec 2010
TU+EQ: no inquires within last year.

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
smc733
Valued Contributor

Re: amex. new app or wait for upgrade?

My advice is to wait the 13 months, unless you really really can put it to use in ways you can't on your Green.

BofA Cash Rewards VS - $25k | Citi Double Cash World MC - $18.9k | Amex BCE - $50k | Discover it - $50k | Chase Freedom Unlimited VS- $10k | Barclay Ring $5k |
Message 2 of 14
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I applied for amex green card in dec 2010. I regret that I didnt apply for the platinum card since I travel overseas 5-6 times a year and coast to coast many times as well and therefor could have taken advantage of airport lounge and other travel benefits with the card. I was told that I need to wait 13 months before I can upgrade my green to platinum.

I don't know if there's something specific about the Green card, but I got a Preferred Rewards Gold in October of 2010 and I have seen the option to upgrade to Platinum when I log in since the beginning.  My card was also backdated to 1998 though, so maybe that makes a difference. 

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 14
score_building
Senior Contributor

@Walt_K wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I don't know if there's something specific about the Green card, but I got a Preferred Rewards Gold in October of 2010 and I have seen the option to upgrade to Platinum when I log in since the beginning.  My card was also backdated to 1998 though, so maybe that makes a difference.

+1

Also basically agree with smc in PP.  

and, history is fledgling, AMex score may not look like FICOs, which are v. strong based on thin file-

but if it would be a great benefit to you, it does seem amex has been allowing multi app aprovals in short time spans or even same day, without batting an eyelash.  Just don't know if it would be pushing it based on AAoA, could go either way.  A gold rewards and/or plat preapproval may come your way soon too, they're good like that.

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I see upgrade now button on gold, gold pr and platinum when I log on amex website.

But it's still going to be a new application. I was told by CSR because of new law they cant upgrade your card within the first 13 months.

And a new application just after 2 months for another charge cards seems a bit risky. any thoughts ?

Message 5 of 14
smc733
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I see upgrade now button on gold, gold pr and platinum when I log on amex website.

But it's still going to be a new application. I was told by CSR because of new law they cant upgrade your card within the first 13 months.

And a new application just after 2 months for another charge cards seems a bit risky. any thoughts ?

Again, not worth it. 

BofA Cash Rewards VS - $25k | Citi Double Cash World MC - $18.9k | Amex BCE - $50k | Discover it - $50k | Chase Freedom Unlimited VS- $10k | Barclay Ring $5k |
Message 6 of 14
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

If you decide you don't want to apply for the card at this time and the only/prime benefit of Platinum you are really interested in is the airport lounge access, you could look into a Piority Pass membership.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 14
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

We have been seeing this a ton lately... people getting Zync because they think it's easier to get but really want Gold and go back and apply and get approved.

I have not seen anyone apply for zync or green and then go back right off the bat and apply for gold or platinum and not get approved.

since you say you travel so much I would not wait a year... that's a year worth of traveling that you don't get the nice plat benefits.

Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just logged into amex site and saw that I'm pre-approved for platinum and gold. And there is a button that says "Upgrade Now".

So will that automatically be a new application even though it says upgrade. CSR told me I can't upgrade within the first 13 months.I have had the green charge card for 2 months only.

The button should say "Apply for new card" instead. here is a screen grab. Any thoughts on this ?

Message 9 of 14
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

From what I have seen earlier, usually when they do upgrade it is a soft inq. At least it was for me. I am not sure if thing have been changed recently.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.