Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

amex or discover payments???/

tag
amercnchopz34
Established Contributor

amex or discover payments???/

im just curious,,,,,,,,,i want to be able tp pump enough cash thru both amex cards and my discover it.....I pay most of my bills if not all thru my bank account......my truck payment can be made with a credit with by phone....its 8.25 per transaction...

Is it worth putting this payment ( 500) on either Amex green or Delta gold??? for 3 months to make sure Im getting enough cash thru either CC??

My Discover will have my insurance payment 100 a month)and lawn care (1 payment every quarter...(80.00),,,,,1000 cl is this enough to warrant a CLI in 6 months??

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Re: amex or discover payments???/

@amercnchopz34 wrote:

im just curious,,,,,,,,,i want to be able tp pump enough cash thru both amex cards and my discover it.....I pay most of my bills if not all thru my bank account......my truck payment can be made with a credit with by phone....its 8.25 per transaction...

Is it worth putting this payment ( 500) on either Amex green or Delta gold??? for 3 months to make sure Im getting enough cash thru either CC??

My Discover will have my insurance payment 100 a month)and lawn care (1 payment every quarter...(80.00),,,,,1000 cl is this enough to warrant a CLI in 6 months??

I wouldn't do this... but that's just me..  That's 49.50 per a 6 month period.  Not worth it IMHO

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 2 of 8
Cadillac-XTS
Established Contributor

Re: amex or discover payments???/

+1

Message 3 of 8
djrez4
Established Contributor

Some people do that for the rewards points, but neither o...

Some people do that for the rewards points, but neither of your cards are very bonusy.

Don't put any special focus on over-utilizing your cards.  Just use them and pay them off.

Message 4 of 8
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Re: Some people do that for the rewards points, but neither o...

Well, 

what's the bonus?

is it the $100 cash back for $1000 spent?

if it is, then you could prob just use it for groceries/utilites and reach it.

or it'd be okay to pay an $16.50 in fees for two truck payments to get $100 cash back.

...... Just don't make a habit out of it.

Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 5 of 8
amercnchopz34
Established Contributor

@youngandcreditwrthy wrote:

Well, 

what's the bonus?

is it the $100 cash back for $1000 spent?

if it is, then you could prob just use it for groceries/utilites and reach it.

or it'd be okay to pay an $16.50 in fees for two truck payments to get $100 cash back.

...... Just don't make a habit out of it.

150 ash rewards for 1000 in 3 months

Message 6 of 8
SnackTrader
Valued Contributor

I wouldn't do it unless you are getting 2% cash back or more (2% on $500 is $10, and therefore more than your transaction fee).  I think the real issue is, there's no reason to give a credit card more usage than it needs to have for a lender's benefit.  Do what works for your finances.  If a lender doesn't like how little you are using their card (which is absurd), they can close your account and you can go to someone who appreciates you more.

Edit: Just saw your most recent post.  You should be able to hit $1000 in 90 days without these payments on just normal gas/groceries/bills.  However, if you can't get to $1000, wait until the last month and make the car payment with it.  You shouldn't need to do that more than once.

In My Wallet: Amex BCP (12/12) $50,000, Chase Freedom (12/12) $16,500, Cap1 Quicksilver (6/12) $14,000, Barclaycard Rewards (5/13) $10,500, Citi Prestige (4/16) $30,000

Last App: June 27, 2015
Message 7 of 8
amercnchopz34
Established Contributor

I did type email quite right the first time....typed it out wrong

I want to put the $$ thru my gold delta card and my discover it card.......the only bills that let me pay with cc are my lawn care  79.00 a quarter...and 100 insurance bill ....(both to discover( want to try for a CLI in 6 months)...no fees .....and 470 truck payment ....i want use the delta card for this to make sure i qualify for the 61 day cli....that one will hopefully only take 2 months...

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.