Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

amex payments?

tag
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

Re: amex payments?

@afbar1114 wrote:

with amex charge cards what is the real payment date? i spoke to several CSR's and they all said 30 days. i have a payment due the 23rd with is 15 days from when the statement cut. i called and made a payment to be made on the 24th is that ok? 

Their grace period for charge cards is different than for credit cards. I have both Costco and Zync. They both close on the same date (13th, I think). My Zync is due on the 28th of each month and my Costco is due on the 7th of the following month. So, I get an extra 9 or so days to pay Costco than Zync.

The new CC laws set a time period for the time between the statement date and due date. I think that since Zync isn't a true credit card, that law/rule doesn't apply, which is why the time period between statement and due dates is shorter than with their CCs.

When you log in, you'll see your payment due date. That is the due date, regardless of what ANY CS rep says. I always make sure my payment is made at least 1 biz day BEFORE the due date, just to be sure I don't have a problem.

If your due date is the 23rd and you paid on the 24th, then you paid late, I'm sorry to say. If the payment is for August, then go online and EDIT your payment! Otherwise it will be late.

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 11 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

You have until the next statement closing date to pay without penalty.  If you don't pay by then you forfeit your MR points for that period; I think it's 10 more days after the next statment date that you would be assessed a late fee.  I think the "Please Pay By" date is meant as a suggestion to cardmembers to mail their payments by then so Amex can receive and process them in plenty of time.

Message 12 of 19
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

You have until the next statement closing date to pay without penalty.  If you don't pay by then you forfeit your MR points for that period; I think it's 10 more days after the next statment date that you would be assessed a late fee.  I think the "Please Pay By" date is meant as a suggestion to cardmembers to mail their payments by then so Amex can receive and process them in plenty of time.

I never noticed the difference in language. My Costco says "due date" and Zync says "please pay by." Still, with Amex, I don't think I'd risk that paying after their "suggested" date might trigger an FR (or even be a factor in one).

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 13 of 19
CK_Charles_Lover
Regular Contributor

Charge always says "please pay by" and its always 15 days. I always pay by then. I doubt they would close your account/FR/charge late fee if you missed by a few days once. Now if you make it an every month thing. I'm sure Amex is watching and you will be in trouble one way or another. Now the revolvers definitely say "DUE BY" and if you missed that you are screwed I'm sure. 

Trans Union Fico (Walmart) ,690 Experian Fico (Amex) 686(Opened 3 new accounts this month. In the Garden)

AMEX BCE ($19,500) AMEX PRG -(NPSL), BARCLAYS US AIR PREMIER WORLD ($10,000), BOA CASH REWARD -($6,000), CITI HILTON RESERVE SIGGY-(5,000), WALMART DISCOVER ( $5,800), CITI DIAMOND ($4,700), CITI DIVIDED WORLD ($4,500), AMAZON STORE($5,000), NORDSTROM VISA SIG($5,000), PAYPAL STORE ($4,000) Amex Delta Gold ($2000)
Message 14 of 19
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@bichonmom wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I never noticed the difference in language. My Costco says "due date" and Zync says "please pay by." Still, with Amex, I don't think I'd risk that paying after their "suggested" date might trigger an FR (or even be a factor in one).

It won't.  FR's are triggered when a cardholder's spend outstrips Amex's expected financial reality for that customer and their reported income.

I don't really see any reason not to pay by the please pay by date though, unless you're talking sums of money where the fractional interest difference over a 2 week period makes a non-trivial difference; however, the vast majority of people just aren't in that situation.

Edit: short-term cash flow issues happen to almost everyone and a two week additional float can admittedly make a difference, I just don't recommend this as being a standard state of affairs. 

        
Message 15 of 19
Brian_Trying_700
Frequent Contributor

My Amex is in time out for trying to p/c "auto pay zync hard limit $500.00". Cap 1 along with Orchard are complete **bleep** and are getting cut up. There customer service is crap. I'll going back 2 using cash.. I have 0% apr and all of my cc's r paid off.

Garden mode till 11/19/2013 Amex Zync 500 H-L I Discover More 1750 I Capital One Rewards 1750 I Barclay Apple 1500 I Macys 2000 I Orchard 400 I Walmart 2000 I Chase Freedom 1500 I Lowes 1K l Barclay NFL 1K l Wright Express gas 2500 l PayPal Debit MasterCard BusinessCard $ ?
Message 16 of 19
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Brian_Trying_700 wrote:

My Amex is in time out for trying to p/c "auto pay zync hard limit $500.00". Cap 1 along with Orchard are complete **bleep** and are getting cut up. There customer service is crap. I'll going back 2 using cash.. I have 0% apr and all of my cc's r paid off.

I don't recommend this, you're cutting off your nose to spite your face in this instance.

One of the things which gets lost on this forum is that lenders like to see your cards being used.  If you aren't using your current tradelines (and they do see payments made) then why would you switch gears and suddenly start to use their product if they give you one?  Nobody wants an unprofitable customer.

So you're stuck for a while waiting for better cards, but if you let your current ones go inactive, you're in for additional pain and suffering for nothing but maybe some random emotional pleasure.  That's just bad economics senor, have a beer, sleep on it for a few days, and re-think it would be my suggestion.

        
Message 17 of 19
Brian_Trying_700
Frequent Contributor

@ Rev.  Smiley Happy .It gets so frustrating sometimes.

Garden mode till 11/19/2013 Amex Zync 500 H-L I Discover More 1750 I Capital One Rewards 1750 I Barclay Apple 1500 I Macys 2000 I Orchard 400 I Walmart 2000 I Chase Freedom 1500 I Lowes 1K l Barclay NFL 1K l Wright Express gas 2500 l PayPal Debit MasterCard BusinessCard $ ?
Message 18 of 19
RHAL
Regular Contributor

I have had my PRG for almost two years now, and I can't remember ever paying before that "please pay by" date. I pay three or four days before my statment date every month and have never run into any issues.

My wallet? AMEX PR Gold NPSL, AMEX HH 1k, Citi Hilton Reserve VS, CSP 9.2k, Chase Freedom 6.7k, Chase Sapphire 5.2k, USAA AMEX 2k, Cap 1 Cash 1.2k, BBRZ MC 500, Barclaycard Apple 1.5k, Barclay Ring 4.5k, Bank Americard 123 5.5k, NFCU Cash 14k

Starting Score: (9/27/10)TU:602 EQ:567
Current Score: TU:670 EQ:670 EX: 706 chase pull
Goal Score: TU:700 EQ:700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

My wallet? AMEX PR Gold, Citi Hilton Gold, Cap 1 Cash, BBRZ MC, Barclaycard Apple, Bank Americard Cash
Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.