Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

amex pending charges problem.

tag
Nightfallx
New Contributor

amex pending charges problem.

It doesn't happen often, but your pending charges are unavailable. Please try again later
i purchased something from kroger on wednesday it still doesn't show up at all, doesn't even allow me on my IPhone app.
in my wallet:
Amex Zync : NPSL (main card always pif)
Discover More: 6,500$ (no balance)
Chase Sapphire : 5000.00$ (no balance)
Citi Thank You Card backed by Amex 8,200$ (no balance)
Amex Blue Cash 21,000$
Best Buy Store Card : 5,700$ (I'm a nerd so used a lot)
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
dalebb
Valued Contributor

Re: amex pending charges problem.

so whats the problem?

Message 2 of 6
smallfry
Senior Contributor

AMEX does things at their own pace but they will eventually get it right.

Message 3 of 6
steve23111
Frequent Contributor

The Kroger store you purchased from could be "offline." Most major merchants have a "floor limit" -- a certain amount they are automatically authorized to charge to a card if electronic authorization systems are temporarily unavailable. It used to happen to us all the time when I was in management at Wal-Mart about 11 years ago. Back then, the floor limit was $100 for each of the major cards.  Anything more than that and the POS would kick back "Floor Limit Exceeded" and we would need to call in for a manual authorization.

I believe I remember reading that AMEX merchant accounts usually have a $0 floor limit, but I would imagine that larger companies such as Kroger may have different privileges.  Despite being in front end management with Kroger for a few years, I have never needed to know what that limit might be. Either it's high enough that even our biggest spenders weren't hitting it, or the systems are now reliable enough that it's never an issue.  The small company I work for currently has $0 floor limit on all four card networks.

Aside from the possibility of an offline authorization, it could just be a quirk on the AMEX web site. That seems to happen a lot!

Message 4 of 6
CS800
Super Contributor

Thats strange, my pending items hafe always appeared about 30 minutes from spending.

I would call customer service. That's a long time for a purchase not to post.

Message 5 of 6
steve23111
Frequent Contributor

It actually does look like there might be some problems.

Pending charges are showing up right away on my Clear, but when I click on Pending Charges for my Blue Cash Preferred I get a box that says "We are experiencing intermittent delays. Please try again later."  Pending transactions are reducing my available credit on that card, but I cannot display any of them online.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.