Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

amex plat airline credit

tag
waynes1982
Frequent Contributor

Re: amex plat airline credit

So 9/13 I used my platimun card for upgrades at southwest in orlando(I forgot Early Bird and was in the b group, and wanted the A group) so paid $40 for each of my tickets to be upgraded totalling $80.  Never received credit from them, so went onto chat and received them manually from the agent.  Well. just the other day I received an alert on my balance and there was another $80 credit so I got two airline credits from them! I'll take my $160 and run! Smiley Happy

They might have done it because they know my annual fee is up and I don't know if I'm going to keep the card for another year. 

Gardening since 06/01/2016

Message 321 of 327
red259
Super Contributor

@waynes1982 wrote:

So 9/13 I used my platimun card for upgrades at southwest in orlando(I forgot Early Bird and was in the b group, and wanted the A group) so paid $40 for each of my tickets to be upgraded totalling $80.  Never received credit from them, so went onto chat and received them manually from the agent.  Well. just the other day I received an alert on my balance and there was another $80 credit so I got two airline credits from them! I'll take my $160 and run! Smiley Happy

They might have done it because they know my annual fee is up and I don't know if I'm going to keep the card for another year. 

Doubtful. I'd monitor your account. I had a similiar issue with amex giving me a double credit for something else like a year ago and a few days later they went back into the account and took back the extra credit. I forget what it was for, but it wasn't an airline credit. In your situation since you have a $200 airline credit and haven't maxed it out yet I dunno if they would bother. For me it was pure extra money, so there was a bigger difference.  

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 322 of 327
Anonymous
Not applicable

Today got my reimbursements for AA GC on Plat and Alaska GC on PRG from 9/21-ish. Smiley Very Happy

Message 323 of 327
red259
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Today got my reimbursements for AA GC on Plat and Alaska GC on PRG from 9/21-ish. Smiley Very Happy

I hear lots of talk about Alaska, although I never really dug into the program. Why are their mile soo valuable?

;
Message 324 of 327
Anonymous
Not applicable

@red259 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I hear lots of talk about Alaska, although I never really dug into the program. Why are their mile soo valuable?

I look at where we'll be flying over the next stretch and they're the candidate that goes to all of them. Whether their miles are valuable or not, I'm not sure. But since I figure we'll end up flying with them I figure it was a good way to use the credit. But also since I figured GC's were a roll of the dice, I didn't want all my eggs in one basket, hence the split with AA. 

I will likely end up using some MR towards Avios and end up flying Alaska. I think that's how it'll work. I know that domestic flights aren't usually a good use of MR...except for short hops using Avios. I'll find out for sure down the line I suppose. 

Message 325 of 327
red259
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I look at where we'll be flying over the next stretch and they're the candidate that goes to all of them. Whether their miles are valuable or not, I'm not sure. But since I figure we'll end up flying with them I figure it was a good way to use the credit. But also since I figured GC's were a roll of the dice, I didn't want all my eggs in one basket, hence the split with AA. 

I will likely end up using some MR towards Avios and end up flying Alaska. I think that's how it'll work. I know that domestic flights aren't usually a good use of MR...except for short hops using Avios. I'll find out for sure down the line I suppose. 

Oh you actually intend to fly with them. For really short flights Avios can be outstanding. For longer flights not so much and depending on where you go you need to watch for fuel surcharges. 

;
Message 326 of 327
Anonymous
Not applicable

@red259 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Oh you actually intend to fly with them. For really short flights Avios can be outstanding. For longer flights not so much and depending on where you go you need to watch for fuel surcharges. 

Right. So Cal to Seattle or Portland or Alaska. Alaska is good for all of those. 

Message 327 of 327
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.