Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

amex plat airline credit

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: amex plat airline credit

I hope this whole dilemma isnt because of folks trying to buy non airline gift cards through an unnamed portal and getting that credited.

I have the PRG and I will go buy another $50 gift card and see how long it takes.

There have been folks who have added money to a gift registry with united and did get the credit after august 20th.

https://www.reddit.com/r/churning/comments/3jh4z6/important_amex_reimbursement_news_is_still_very/

EDIT: per others recommendations I will hold off on buying another gift card. I would advise everyone else do the same. Regardless, I could easily use this for food/wifi/drinks/etc.

I am gambling the system is just delayed and we were used to getting everything super fast. A lot of people got the amex platinum....

Message 51 of 327
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Site is down again.

#Surprise
Message 52 of 327
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@jsucool76 wrote:
Site is down again.

#Surprise

Yep talked with Amex over the phone earlier today regarding some other stuff and they are doing updates to the site today hence the problems we have been experiencing.

Side note kinda funny during that coversation I wanted to know my NPSL as I have pumped a decent amt. through the card and just threw a number out there I said will 4k go through without a hitch, she said let me try a test authorization..  Next thing she said it set off a fraud alert and she needed to transfer me to a different department.  Got trasnfered to security or fraud and he said I hear you want ot make a 40k purchase.. I was like what?  He said yes she entered 40k.. I am like ummm no, just 4k sir.  Anyways, ya that went through fine and lifted the fraud flag from my accountSmiley Happy

Message 53 of 327
red259
Super Contributor

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

@jsucool76 wrote:
Site is down again.

#Surprise

Yep talked with Amex over the phone earlier today regarding some other stuff and they are doing updates to the site today hence the problems we have been experiencing.

Side note kinda funny during that coversation I wanted to know my NPSL as I have pumped a decent amt. through the card and just threw a number out there I said will 4k go through without a hitch, she said let me try a test authorization..  Next thing she said it set off a fraud alert and she needed to transfer me to a different department.  Got trasnfered to security or fraud and he said I hear you want ot make a 40k purchase.. I was like what?  He said yes she entered 40k.. I am like ummm no, just 4k sir.  Anyways, ya that went through fine and lifted the fraud flag from my accountSmiley Happy

I don't know your income etc, but somehow I think that rep was getting way to screw around with you over a potential 40k charge. Heh. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 54 of 327
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@red259 wrote:

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

@jsucool76 wrote:
Site is down again.

#Surprise

I don't know your income etc, but somehow I think that rep was getting way to screw around with you over a potential 40k charge. Heh. 

LOL sure I was transferred to explain on how I plan on paying back this 40k charge by due dateSmiley Happy..  I laughed when I heard that $ amt though and said I think we have a bit of confusion I asked for 4k not 40kSmiley Happy

Message 55 of 327
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Open123 wrote:

It may be that GC purchases are no longer valid for certain Airlines.  It really depends on how each Airline codes the associated purchases.  For instance, SW clearly classifies it as a gift card purchase, whereas AA doesn't.

So, unlike with SW, unless AA has changed how they clasify the charge, there would be no way Amex can determine if it where a GC purchase.  In the case of AA, just buy the GCs, call and say it was for a plane change, baggage fees, etc...for full reimbursement.  However, best to verify that AA hasn't changed how they report GC purchases.

This would be a good list to have...what airlines code GC's as. Anyone have that handy? 

Alaska? Delta? United? 

Message 56 of 327
jsucool76
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

It may be that GC purchases are no longer valid for certain Airlines.  It really depends on how each Airline codes the associated purchases.  For instance, SW clearly classifies it as a gift card purchase, whereas AA doesn't.

So, unlike with SW, unless AA has changed how they clasify the charge, there would be no way Amex can determine if it where a GC purchase.  In the case of AA, just buy the GCs, call and say it was for a plane change, baggage fees, etc...for full reimbursement.  However, best to verify that AA hasn't changed how they report GC purchases.

This would be a good list to have...what airlines code GC's as. Anyone have that handy? 

Alaska? Delta? United? 

The amount of info each lender gets varies. My AA gift cards on both my PRG (Successfully reimbursed) and plat (not yet reimbursed) both coded as airline tickets with a departure date. 

Message 57 of 327
EddieK
Established Contributor

@14Fiesta wrote:

Does this appear to be exclusive to the Plat or are people reporting this "shutdown" with the PRG too?

It may be with the PRG too.  I purchased a $100 Delta GC with my PRG a couple of months ago.  It didn't credit so I went on chat and they grilled me about what the charges were for...I eventually talked my way into getting the credit.  Maybe people would have better luck in buying gift cards in $50 increments.

Starting Scores:
1/19/14:

1/28/14:
2/12/14:
Current Scores:
7/10/19:
12/17/16:
9/05/17:
Message 58 of 327
Anonymous
Not applicable

Curious what you told them. Did you just say it was incidental? How did the charge show up on your statement?
Message 59 of 327
Anonymous
Not applicable

@EddieK wrote:

@14Fiesta wrote:

Does this appear to be exclusive to the Plat or are people reporting this "shutdown" with the PRG too?

It may be with the PRG too.  I purchased a $100 Delta GC with my PRG a couple of months ago.  It didn't credit so I went on chat and they grilled me about what the charges were for...I eventually talked my way into getting the credit.  Maybe people would have better luck in buying gift cards in $50 increments.

Exactly, it has been said repeatedly (not trying to sound cocky here) that $50 or less was the way to go, but $50 being the best.  I wish this was just the only problem....but folks are doing amounts less than $50 and no dice yet.  It will work itself out. It just has to!

Message 60 of 327
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.