Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

amex preapproval?

tag
lizabeth
Contributor

amex preapproval?

i just recently got my very first credit card through bank of america.
i was 'preapproved' through the amex site for a plethora of cards but im interested in
amex blue, which was included.

what are the chances that i would be approved with an equifax score of 673? (TU & Experian would be about 15-20 points higher)
i have a few derogs on a closed car loan (which i could easily explain if they asked)
and one late still showing on a macys from last year (which i have a letter stating that macys has removed all derogs as of last month; the cra's are still not updated)....

i was approved through BOA with all of these things.

if im preapproved with amex that obviously means SOMETHING, right?
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: amex preapproval?

Experian seems to be the one AmEx traditionally pulls, although I have seen reports lately of them pulling all three (would need to get some clarification on that!) - so if your EX is 15 or so points higher than your EQ, I'd say that the score itself would give you a very good chance of getting the Blue.

As for the derogs and the lates... I really have NO idea, so my answer isn't all that helpful, sorry. Smiley Sad I just hope it will bump it up a bit so that you'll get an answer from someone who can tell you how AmEx viewed those things in their case.

Good luck! Smiley Happy
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: amex preapproval?

First, it's likely that the results of the preapproval links from Amex mean absolutely nothing.  Almost everyone gets the same four cards when they fill out the form.  There have been a few exceptions, but not many.  Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Your EX score alone is probably good enough to get the Blue, but Amex hates to see baddies in the last two years.

I would wait until that late payment from last year hits its second anniversary before applying.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.