@Anonymous
Not today. Please.

Ditto

Message 31 of 60
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: amex reduced line

@Anonymous wrote:

Looks like amex reduced my total lines to 2k for two cards. When I called they cited that I had gotten some new accounts. I have gotten 3 new accounts in the past 2 months but I think the main reason they cut it is since I havent been a big spender on it. Overall I dont need the cards so im pretty much fine with 2k and will continue to use them for certain things. 

If you have amex it seems like they really want the cards to be used to the fullest(safely of course). Ive been mainly using my cap1 business card and that limit increased already. 

Sorry to hear, OP. What is MSD with Amex?

Message 32 of 60
Man-Of-Steel
Established Contributor

Sorry to hear about this, OP.  Did you state what the previous credit lines were for your Amex cards?

I just checked my account and my $26K CL is still intact.  This card hasn't seen much use recently (I'm talking less than $500 per month - and some months it gets no use).  I never carry a balance, so if they CLD me, it wouldn't be the end of the world.  I just don't want them to close the account and lose the history, especially with this being a back dated account.

Message 33 of 60
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@JSS3 wrote:
@Anonymous
Not today. Please.

Ditto

His friends sure are unlucky. Smiley Indifferent

I'll check my accounts even though I haven't applied for anything in nearly 2 months.

Message 34 of 60
Anonymous
Not applicable

Bad news for the OP and some others. I guess my suspicion that amex might do CLD for little use has some merit, unfortunately. 

I have an amex ED with 28500 but i only put $100 on it each month for an auto-pay. Would like to put more spend on it but i just dont really have a use for it with my other cards earning 2x on dining and travel. If they reduce my limit, i guess i wouldnt be too surprised although it would sting since it helps my credit utilization ratio a lot. 

Message 35 of 60
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Looks like amex reduced my total lines to 2k for two cards. When I called they cited that I had gotten some new accounts. I have gotten 3 new accounts in the past 2 months but I think the main reason they cut it is since I havent been a big spender on it. Overall I dont need the cards so im pretty much fine with 2k and will continue to use them for certain things. 

If you have amex it seems like they really want the cards to be used to the fullest(safely of course). Ive been mainly using my cap1 business card and that limit increased already. 

Sorry to hear OP, never fun to see your cards CLD, and I've had plenty.

My take on AMEX is, they are happy to give out 3X CLI, but as some others have noted, ya gotta have the spend to run with the big dogs. No spend? Then you weren't really running with the big dogs anyway.

CLI, CLD, Easy come, Easy go.

My suggestion: Don't close the accounts. They are only smaller limits. If you want larger limits again, show some usage on the accounts and 6 months, a year from now you should be fine to get CLI again, if you need it. Or perhaps you won't need it, just minor use at the existing limits will be adequate for your needs.

Someone made a comment that the group here is different from the general population. That's true. The general population doesn't go from having a starter $300 card to figuring out how to get "in with AMEX" and then growing to a $9k or $20k limit in a short time, along with getting 10 other cards. Yet that sort of file growth can alarm many CCC. Each file has limits at any point in time. Over a longer period of time, those limits grow naturally. Trying to go too fast, not advisable.

Good luck!

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 36 of 60
red259
Super Contributor

This post makes me worry about my BCE card, since its in the SD and I am putting spend on my Amex Everday instead. Originally with the BCE I was going to move the line over to my Everyday and then close it out. Now with backdating by amex gone I am more inclined to keep the BCE open long term. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 37 of 60
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got a 15K limit everyday card (19.99%) on 5/16 and just took advantage of a balance transfer offer (1500 at 0% with 3% fee).  Other balances near zero.  Although there is no backdating on the everyday, I have a senior gold with 24 year backdating.  I will keep an eye on this card which I'm now using daily for small purchases and groceries. Haven't even DARED to try for a CLI, nor have I tried with the NFCU card, currently at 10K (opened in Jan 2015).  I think I have enough but would like to keep the big lines for low utilization.  Bank's call, though.  They're in control of the situation.  I'll use them wisely and make payments as always.  Maybe my 675 exp fico will go up someday.

Message 38 of 60
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

Ya kinda weird two reportings on such a small community.. Certainly wouldnt want my big Amex CL slashed, granted I put between 500-1k a month on it, but certainly not all my spend.

Not weird when you think that, while it's a small community, it's a community of people active in regard to their credit and often credit seeking. That seems to be the common thread between the two. (new accounts)

+Many!  From a lender's perspective, AA happens to outliers.

This is a community of outliers from a consumer credit perspective. 

Incidents of AA are almost without question going to show up here and a few other places before the market as a whole if it ever does.  That said if it were some global cutback either on new accounts or unused limits we'd be seeing a lot more reports here I think, 2 does not a pattern make even with our skewed, boundary-pushing population is my thinking given how many of the members (and members gone for a while that would come back and scream bloody murder if a CLD happened to them) have non-trivial Amex lines without much use on them.  

If they slash my 9K BCP which doesn't get used heavily, I'll be OK.  When I'm capped by 6K grocery rewards, if I can fit a $500 pair of shoes from Nordstrom's on it, I'll be OK with a dramatically less CL; however, honestly I'm not expecting that to occur with my profile but I've been wrong before on lender directions and it'll happen again Cat Tongue

Amex never smacked me from my sprees in the past, and I'm not going to change my behavior worrying about what Amex might or might not do.

        
Message 39 of 60
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

Ya kinda weird two reportings on such a small community.. Certainly wouldnt want my big Amex CL slashed, granted I put between 500-1k a month on it, but certainly not all my spend.

Truthfully, the higher cl's are good for keeping your UT at 30%.  The only reason I want mine a bit higher.  And in case I'm buying something for a bit of bucks,  I'd like to get the rewards.

Message 40 of 60
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.