Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

amex refusing to give 25k sign up bonus for prg

tag
dds2be
Valued Member

amex refusing to give 25k sign up bonus for prg

Anyone ever experience this?

I app'd for prg in dec 2013, and i was logged out of their website on private browser so i can see the sign up offers, and i applied! 0 AF first year, 25k points after 2k spend in 3 months. Spent 2k within first 2 weeks of having card. Called them to confirm i am getting my points in mid january, they said they dont see the offer for 25k points! 

They researched it, and told me in jan that it should be taken care of, and allow 8-12 weeks for points to be credited. I got nothing! So i called them last week, i told the lady that the offer is still on their website, and she can clearly see that it is there. I said how can i not get the 25k points when all i did was simply click apply directly from the amex website. i never had any charge card with them, so i am def eligble. Rep said she doenst see that offer on my account, they would investigate and call me in 3 days. 

Never called me back, but received a secure message today:

We are writing to you regarding your Membership Rewards® account.

Our records indicate that you were offered an introductory annual Card Membership fee of $0.00 for the first year, then an annual Card Membership fee of $175.00 after that, for acquiring the Premier Rewards Gold Card.

We are unable to comply with your request to apply a Membership Rewards bonus point promotion to your existing Card account.

Please call us at 1-800-AXP-EARN (297-3276) if we can be of any further assistance.

What the heck??? For a company that is supposed to be ranked #1 in customer satisf, they have horrible customer service. said i would receive a call from them in jan (never happened) and last week (never happened). 

Who can I contact at Amex to get my points? This is ridiculous that they wont honor something that is clearly on their site and wont give. I wouldve not apped if i wasnt getting my 25k points. You would think they would take care of their cardmembers seeing as i am going to be paying $175 for their card. Any guidance on what to do next? 

Thanks!!

Age 28
BOFA Cash Rewards:25k
Citi Premier :16.7k
Citi Costco Visa:19.2k
Amex SPG: 30k
Macy's: 20k
care credit :15k Express: 3.2k Dillards : 5k
Amex Platinum :NPSL
CSP: 15k
Chase Marriot: 25K
Chase Freedom 15k
Capital One Venture 30k

Fico Scores as of 10/2018: EX: 772, EQ: 782 TU: 778
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
dds2be
Valued Member

Re: amex refusing to give 25k sign up bonus for prg

forgot to mention, in jan when i called to confirm the points, they stated they dont see the 25k as part of my welcome offer in my account which is what initiated the "investigation".

Age 28
Chase Freedom 15k
Capital One Venture 30k

Message 2 of 15
LeadingMan
New Contributor

Same happened to me with BCE and amazon prime offer they told me I wasn't eligible for even tho it was offered at time of app. 

Arrival + WEMC 12.5K / AMEX BCE 12K / Cap1 Venture 10K / Discover IT 9.5K / CITI DP 9.1K / AMEX ED 6K / Freedom VS 6K / CSP 5K / IHG 5K

Message 3 of 15
dds2be
Valued Member

did u take any action??

Age 28
Chase Freedom 15k
Capital One Venture 30k

Message 4 of 15
wHiTeSoL
Valued Contributor

American Express is slipping IMO. I'm not happy with them as well. Here's what happened to DW last month

She wanted to get me something for Valentine's day,

Saw what she wanted at nordstrom,

Remembered there was a $50 back after $250 spend with her AMEX card,

Signed up on her phone in store

Brought the Item

waited 30 days, then sent a SM

this is what she got back (BTW I have never received a confirmatory email when i successfully enroll in an offer)

"

I understand your point and this is precisely the reason we send a confirmatory email when you successfully enroll your Card for an offer.

In addition to that, you can also verify the enrollment online at the "Account Home" screen under "My offers" section.

Once the Card has been successfully enrolled, it is indicated as "Saved" under the "My Offers" section.

You should ensure that your Card has been successfully enrolled in the offer before making the required spent.

I'm sorry but the spent made on your Card is not eligible for the offer credit as per the offer terms.

Therefore, we're unable to issue the offer credit for the spent made on 02/14/14."

Message 5 of 15
enharu
Super Contributor

@dds2be wrote:

Anyone ever experience this?

I app'd for prg in dec 2013, and i was logged out of their website on private browser so i can see the sign up offers, and i applied! 0 AF first year, 25k points after 2k spend in 3 months. Spent 2k within first 2 weeks of having card. Called them to confirm i am getting my points in mid january, they said they dont see the offer for 25k points! 

They researched it, and told me in jan that it should be taken care of, and allow 8-12 weeks for points to be credited. I got nothing! So i called them last week, i told the lady that the offer is still on their website, and she can clearly see that it is there. I said how can i not get the 25k points when all i did was simply click apply directly from the amex website. i never had any charge card with them, so i am def eligble. Rep said she doenst see that offer on my account, they would investigate and call me in 3 days. 

Never called me back, but received a secure message today:

We are writing to you regarding your Membership Rewards® account.

Our records indicate that you were offered an introductory annual Card Membership fee of $0.00 for the first year, then an annual Card Membership fee of $175.00 after that, for acquiring the Premier Rewards Gold Card.

We are unable to comply with your request to apply a Membership Rewards bonus point promotion to your existing Card account.

Please call us at 1-800-AXP-EARN (297-3276) if we can be of any further assistance.

What the heck??? For a company that is supposed to be ranked #1 in customer satisf, they have horrible customer service. said i would receive a call from them in jan (never happened) and last week (never happened). 

Who can I contact at Amex to get my points? This is ridiculous that they wont honor something that is clearly on their site and wont give. I wouldve not apped if i wasnt getting my 25k points. You would think they would take care of their cardmembers seeing as i am going to be paying $175 for their card. Any guidance on what to do next? 

Thanks!!

Amex is clamping down on sign-up bonuses according to many blogs.

Even though you applied using a private browser, the system probably linked your application to your current accounts and therefore denied your bonus.

When you read the T&C, it clearly states that current cardmembers are NOT eligible for sign-up bonuses. When you and everyone else here, myself included, have been exploiting is a loophole in their systems. It seems that they may have fixed the loophole or at least you somehow got "caught" along the way.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 6 of 15
rex_03
Contributor

This VERY thing happened with my Plat. card. I called, as you did, and no resolution. After fighting with them, and getting the run around of "Big Coporation", I went to twitter. and found their page. I spoke on private chat with a rep, and it DID take a few chats, but I DID get my 25K points.. It CAN be done, but you have to keep on it.. I then downgraded that plat. to a green, as I wasn't using all of the benefits your paying for, and lost a few airlines I'd use anyways.. Hope this helps.

Message 7 of 15
rex_03
Contributor

Mine was a short app. Vs. a log app. button misclick if that clarifies. I had revolvers, but NO charge accounts at the time of apping for the Plat card for the 25K bonus.. The short app. doesn't include the promo code attachment in the T&C. Look for a POID reference.. That's what entitles you to the sign on bonus for that particular product..

Message 8 of 15
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@wHiTeSoL wrote:

American Express is slipping IMO. I'm not happy with them as well. Here's what happened to DW last month

She wanted to get me something for Valentine's day,

Saw what she wanted at nordstrom,

Remembered there was a $50 back after $250 spend with her AMEX card,

Signed up on her phone in store

Brought the Item

waited 30 days, then sent a SM

this is what she got back (BTW I have never received a confirmatory email when i successfully enroll in an offer)

"

I understand your point and this is precisely the reason we send a confirmatory email when you successfully enroll your Card for an offer.

In addition to that, you can also verify the enrollment online at the "Account Home" screen under "My offers" section.

Once the Card has been successfully enrolled, it is indicated as "Saved" under the "My Offers" section.

You should ensure that your Card has been successfully enrolled in the offer before making the required spent.

I'm sorry but the spent made on your Card is not eligible for the offer credit as per the offer terms.

Therefore, we're unable to issue the offer credit for the spent made on 02/14/14."

This has not been my experience. Just last month I ordered a pair of Tory a Burch shoes using the Bloomingdale's $50 offer. After placing my order, I found it was back ordered and I was concerned it wouldn't ship in time ESP since they placed an authorization only and not the charge on my account. I called Amex explained the situation and they assured me that the account was notated. Like clockwork, I received the $50 credit  a few days after the charge finally appeared. 

Message 9 of 15
Weights
Regular Contributor

I had a similar problem when approved for the BCE in January.  I was specifically told that my offer was for a $150 signup bonus after spending $1k in first 3 months of account opening.  Further, it was explained to me that because this was my first revolver, and despite having a Gold PRG with signup bonus, the offer was valid.  Needless to say, it never happened.  I also never heard back from anyone after two occasions upon which this was supposedly being researched. 

Fed up, I called the Executive Offices and complained.  I reached a rep who agreed to go ahead and make sure that I heard back soon with a possible resolution.  Then finally, the bonus was issued to me a few days later.  The rep said this was due to a glitch on their end; I'm not sure that I buy it, but at least the bonus was honored in the end.  My advice is to ring them up if nothing else has worked after mutiple attemps.  Even though my case got resolved, I'm throughly convinced that they're starting to slip in customer service as well, which is really ashamed...

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.