Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

amex soft pre-approval?

tag
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

Re: amex soft pre-approval?

I am still not sure why did they pull a Hard on me?

I heard they do a soft for all things, I am not sure why they did a hard for me on this. I'll be curious to find out if they did hard to others also.

Can we ask Amex and see if they can change it and recode it as soft?
Message 61 of 75
Anonymous
Not applicable

dnm45227 wrote:
ok cheddar looks like the baton has been passed from concorduser to you. i say go for it! ya, there's an annual fee, but look at the perks and from what i can tell you would really get a lot of use out of it.

Hah!  Peer pressure?  What peer pressure? Smiley Tongue

I'll get to it.  Not right away, but I'll get to it. Smiley Happy

Message 62 of 75
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@Red1Blue wrote:
I am still not sure why did they pull a Hard on me?
I heard they do a soft for all things, I am not sure why they did a hard for me on this. I'll be curious to find out if they did hard to others also.
Can we ask Amex and see if they can change it and recode it as soft?

Well, you really have to back off this and think about it. The pre-approval is a soft, because it results from a random search by AmEx (or whomever) to find consumers whose profiles fit their general requirements. If you fit in that very general group, you will get a pre-approval mailer. If not, you won't.

The whole reason that creditors report hard inqs is to show who is looking for credit. When you are actually applying for credit, it's reasonable that you get a hard.

It gets ugly when a CCC pulls a hard when you are asking for a CLI, or to find out if you're eligible for an upgraded card. It's especially bad when a CA hards you! --you're certainly not asking for credit from a CA.

When I actually apply for credit, I fully expect to get a hard, and if I get approved, this doesn't bother me at all! Smiley Very Happy
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 63 of 75
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

Thanks Hauling. I agree with you and I'll let it go. Most of my inq's are going to start falling off soon any way in the next few months. This is the first inq on my EX in 2008. As I am not going to app any more hopefully it should effect too much.
Message 64 of 75
bb1000
New Contributor

Well, I was feeling frisky so I applied for the Gold that showed up on the pre-approval page. Platinum and the two Blue's showed up as well, but I'm not interested in Blues and can't justify the Platinum fee. I got the "system not responding" message. Hopefully it won't take 14 days to find out. This card is the one I have been lusting after. If I get it, I am SO done applying.
Message 65 of 75
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

Hi bb, after couple of days you can to amex website and find out the application status. if you google amex app status, you should find the link there.
Message 66 of 75
bb1000
New Contributor

Niiiiiiiiiice. Approved for the Gold. With that, I think I am officially done applying for new credit. Just going to let my tradelines age and go for CLI's for about a year! I've been on a good streak since September 07, and have every card I could possibly need now.
Message 67 of 75
Anonymous
Not applicable

bb1000 wrote:
Niiiiiiiiiice. Approved for the Gold. With that, I think I am officially done applying for new credit. Just going to let my tradelines age and go for CLI's for about a year! I've been on a good streak since September 07, and have every card I could possibly need now.

cool! i just finished reading your post on cb, congrats on all your progress!
Message 68 of 75
bb1000
New Contributor

Thanks! I should post that over here too, to give the newbies some hope. I wish I knew of these forums 5 years ago!
Message 69 of 75
Anonymous
Not applicable

bb1000 wrote:

Congrats and WTG!

Message 70 of 75
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.