Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

and yet another NFCU approval!

tag
rootpooty
Valued Contributor

and yet another NFCU approval!

I must say im pretty excited coming from low 500 scores to 675ish scores in 8 months. Ive had my secured card with navy federal for 7 months so this morning I said what the heck and called them up. Applied for the platinum card I wanted a low apr zero rewards card got the dreaded 3-5 day message. I just called to check on it was placed on hold approved for 1,000 which im excited about cause this is my very first unsecured card. I forgot to ask the apr but im sure its better than my nrewards secured which sits at 17.99 and thats prob cause I had about 10 derogs on my reports when I applied for it.  Back to the garden I go till May 2013 when that last baddie falls off the reports then ill ask for a cli and request they unsecure my card.

I love navy federal dont you?

NFCU plat 5k | NAVCHECK 5k | NFCU cashrewards 15k | BOFA 123 6k |
Chase Freedom 1.5k | Amazon 3K | Walmart 3K | Buckle 300 | AMEX BCE 2.5K | CHASE CSP 12K | CITI sears 6k | Kay 2k

On the prowl for Chase Sapphire Preferred! APPROVED 12K!
scores 7/14 647 622 630 (85%util)
scores 8/14 767 760 758 Boom! finally in the 700 club
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
HoldingOntoHope
Valued Contributor

Re: and yet another NFCU approval!

Congratulations. I absolutely Heart NFCU. I'm thinking of applying for their cheerleaders squad. (On-line of course). It's very common with them to get the 3 - 5 day message but normally I see a response in the same day or the next. And their CSR's are easy to work with.. If you handle the account well it will definitely grow with you over time. They are generous about auto CLI's at 1 year and 18 months but seem to be okay with customer requests at as little as 6 months. There also is some (unproven) anecdotal evidence that if you have direct deposit to them and / or use them as your primary banking relationship the generosity increases.

Best financial advice I ever got: "Just imagine what an adult would do and do that."

Starting Score: 500's
Current Score: EQ 701 (FICO) TU 721 (FICO) EX 715 (Quizzle)
Goal Score: 760 ALL

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 2 of 8
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

@HoldingOntoHope wrote:

Congratulations. I absolutely Heart NFCU. I'm thinking of applying for their cheerleaders squad. (On-line of course). It's very common with them to get the 3 - 5 day message but normally I see a response in the same day or the next. And their CSR's are easy to work with.. If you handle the account well it will definitely grow with you over time. They are generous about auto CLI's at 1 year and 18 months but seem to be okay with customer requests at as little as 6 months. There also is some (unproven) anecdotal evidence that if you have direct deposit to them and / or use them as your primary banking relationship the generosity increases.

Not so anecdotal. Their CSR told me that they are more generous w/customers who bank with them and don't just "use them for a CC." He didn't indicate that DD was necessary -- just a banking relationship. Their thinking (according to that CSR) is that one will be less likely to default on a CC if you bank w/the institution. Whereas, if you just have a CC w/them, it's easier to default.

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 3 of 8
Adalen
Frequent Contributor

I think that makes sense.  I've only had my card a short time but I've had my savings account for 28 years and mine was an instant approval with a large CL.  I think having all that time and using NFCU as my primary savings account is probably what helped with their decision.  I have never had a wait message or income verification process with them.

Message 4 of 8
Whereis750
Regular Contributor

I’m joining NFCU in the next two weeks (very excited) and intend for them to be my primary bank.  In addition to savings, checking, and CCS what other relationships/products can I open with them?    Really looking to build a strong relationship with these guys.

Thanks!

Message 5 of 8
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

I sent an inquiry to the Air National Guard, so that I may be able to join NFCU.

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 6 of 8
rootpooty
Valued Contributor

@Whereis750 wrote:

I’m joining NFCU in the next two weeks (very excited) and intend for them to be my primary bank.  In addition to savings, checking, and CCS what other relationships/products can I open with them?    Really looking to build a strong relationship with these guys.

Thanks!

whatever you want if it has to do with money they have it! I will tell you though navy federal is hard pull happy so expect a pull for membership and another one for cc if you decide to apply and additional one for any other loan you would like. however navy doesnt mind inquiries that much lol.

Chase Freedom 1.5k | Amazon 3K | Walmart 3K | Buckle 300 | AMEX BCE 2.5K | CHASE CSP 12K | CITI sears 6k | Kay 2k

Message 7 of 8
rootpooty
Valued Contributor

@bichonmom wrote:

@HoldingOntoHope wrote:

Not so anecdotal. Their CSR told me that they are more generous w/customers who bank with them and don't just "use them for a CC." He didn't indicate that DD was necessary -- just a banking relationship. Their thinking (according to that CSR) is that one will be less likely to default on a CC if you bank w/the institution. Whereas, if you just have a CC w/them, it's easier to default.

yes this is true. the family that i have that has dd with them and does all the banking with them has grown with them faster than me and a few others that just uses them for credit. i would move all my banking to them however the closest branch is almost 3 hrs away

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.