Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

another $175 AF PRG post

tag
bigblue7722
Valued Contributor

another $175 AF PRG post

I have the PRG card cause it was a free pull for me. I just for the life of me cant figure out the $175 AF. Here is my reason behind it. First amex does not offer a cashback website like CSP. Second I understand its more of a travel/airline card but why would i get the PRG if i did fly a lot? It doesnt include checked bags or free club passes like say a chase united card. Theres got to be something im missing here. I know its a big spender card with no caps but the CSP has no caps and the AF is almost half as much. Chase marriott offers me a free night for $85 AF every year. I value the room around 300 bucks thats over a $200 dollar reward every year. The PRG does not offer anything like that. I like the amex offers a lot but they are the same for both my PRG and no AF BCE so it does not look like it matters there at all. I know it sounds like i hate amex and love chase, I really dont hate amex at all. I love the SP if declined HP if approved, 3x CLI, and amex offers, I just dont understand the AF on the PRG.

AMEX PRG NPSL,Lowes $17000,Capital One venture card $12,000,Us Airways mastercard $9500,Fidelity Amex $9000, Discover it $8000, Capital One Venture One $7500, BOA 123 rewards $7500 CSP $6000, Capital One Quicksliver $5500, Amazon Store card$5000,Barclay
Card Ring $5000 Chase Marriott $5000,Chase Hyatt $5000, Sallie Mae Mastercard $4400, Paypal smart connect $4000,Chase Freedom $3200, Capital one Quicksliver visa $3000, Chase IHG Rewards $2300, Chase Southwest Premier $2000, Citi Double Cash $1500, AMEX BCE $1000

Last app July 22nd 2015- No apps for two years.
Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

Re: another $175 AF PRG post

Preaching to the choir -- I don't understand the AF on the PRG, either. Have you had it for a while? I'd ditch it before AF becomes due.
Message 2 of 24
bigblue7722
Valued Contributor

@KennyRS wrote:
Preaching to the choir -- I don't understand the AF on the PRG, either. Have you had it for a while? I'd ditch it before AF becomes due.

I applied for it on 8/3 lol. I still cant stop thinking about the AF. I am really trying to find ways to make it work because i love the way the card looks lol but man its tough. Even at 100 bucks a year i think its over priced. I will probably keep the CSP because i think i can make back the money with chase UR partners vs just a straight cash back card. 

AMEX PRG NPSL,Lowes $17000,Capital One venture card $12,000,Us Airways mastercard $9500,Fidelity Amex $9000, Discover it $8000, Capital One Venture One $7500, BOA 123 rewards $7500 CSP $6000, Capital One Quicksliver $5500, Amazon Store card$5000,Barclay
Card Ring $5000 Chase Marriott $5000,Chase Hyatt $5000, Sallie Mae Mastercard $4400, Paypal smart connect $4000,Chase Freedom $3200, Capital one Quicksliver visa $3000, Chase IHG Rewards $2300, Chase Southwest Premier $2000, Citi Double Cash $1500, AMEX BCE $1000

Last app July 22nd 2015- No apps for two years.
Message 3 of 24
irrational
Frequent Contributor

@bigblue7722 wrote:

I have the PRG card cause it was a free pull for me. I just for the life of me cant figure out the $175 AF. Here is my reason behind it. First amex does not offer a cashback website like CSP. Second I understand its more of a travel/airline card but why would i get the PRG if i did fly a lot? It doesnt include checked bags or free club passes like say a chase united card. Theres got to be something im missing here. I know its a big spender card with no caps but the CSP has no caps and the AF is almost half as much. Chase marriott offers me a free night for $85 AF every year. I value the room around 300 bucks thats over a $200 dollar reward every year. The PRG does not offer anything like that. I like the amex offers a lot but they are the same for both my PRG and no AF BCE so it does not look like it matters there at all. I know it sounds like i hate amex and love chase, I really dont hate amex at all. I love the SP if declined HP if approved, 3x CLI, and amex offers, I just dont understand the AF on the PRG.

My take on it...

I love amex too, but I feel like their charge cards are a product from a different era. What kind of card charges an additional AF for AUers? Additionally the MR points are great if (as you said) you travel a lot... but what about the occasional traveler, or the guy who's interested in cash back... right now Amex has the latter category broken out into a seperate system from MR...

I really feel this is where Ultimate Rewards (and Chase) really shine. You can take a card like Freedom, earn URs, and if you feel like having cash you can have cash a 1 CPP - not 0.5 CPP like Amex. But, if that same person has the CSP, he can transfer those Freedom points to their CSP and then on to travel partners and earn even more than 1 CPP. The flexability (both up and down) is truly amazing.

Maybe if I was a hardcore traveler, and knew that 100% of my points were going to travel, I'd view it differently. Until then, I think Amex is letting Chase get the best of them on this one.

I think with the ED cards Amex is working in that direction... now they just need to address the Blue Cash vs EveryDay divide, and start valuing MR points at 1 CPP and do away with Blue Cash.

Current Score: TU (discover) 720 - 6/29/14 | EQ (score watch) 777 - 7/19/14 - Last App 7/21/14

NPSL          |      $27,600         |      $15,000      |      $7,000      |     $2,800     |      $11,000    |      $13,530      |      $5,200
Message 4 of 24
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

@bigblue7722 wrote:

@KennyRS wrote:

I applied for it on 8/3 lol. I still cant stop thinking about the AF. I am really trying to find ways to make it work because i love the way the card looks lol but man its tough. Even at 100 bucks a year i think its over priced. I will probably keep the CSP because i think i can make back the money with chase UR partners vs just a straight cash back card. 

Did you get it free for the first year?

Message 5 of 24
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@irrational wrote:

@bigblue7722 wrote:

My take on it...

I love amex too, but I feel like their charge cards are a product from a different era. What kind of card charges an additional AF for AUers? Additionally the MR points are great if (as you said) you travel a lot... but what about the occasional traveler, or the guy who's interested in cash back... right now Amex has the latter category broken out into a seperate system from MR...

I really feel this is where Ultimate Rewards (and Chase) really shine. You can take a card like Freedom, earn URs, and if you feel like having cash you can have cash a 1 CPP - not 0.5 CPP like Amex. But, if that same person has the CSP, he can transfer those Freedom points to their CSP and then on to travel partners and earn even more than 1 CPP. The flexability (both up and down) is truly amazing.

Maybe if I was a hardcore traveler, and knew that 100% of my points were going to travel, I'd view it differently. Until then, I think Amex is letting Chase get the best of them on this one.

I think with the ED cards Amex is working in that direction... now they just need to address the Blue Cash vs EveryDay divide, and start valuing MR points at 1 CPP and do away with Blue Cash.

I understand this, but doing 1c MR cashback (even if that is what UR offers) really doesn't make a whole lot of sense.   If you are going cashback, there are much better cards.   So yes, for flexibility it might be nice, but it wouldn't be sensible to use it that way really, so it's empty flexibility.  (And lots of people already cash in MR at the low rate, so no incentive to fix!).

But I think the ED, and more especially the EDP, will take share from PRG, if and when enough people educate themselves.   And having a free transfer card might even put pressure on the CSP, if the partners work for you, ED is in many ways a more valuable card than that.

Message 6 of 24
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@irrational wrote:

@bigblue7722 wrote:

My take on it...

I understand this, but doing 1c MR cashback (even if that is what UR offers) really doesn't make a whole lot of sense.   If you are going cashback, there are much better cards.   So yes, for flexibility it might be nice, but it wouldn't be sensible to use it that way really, so it's empty flexibility.  (And lots of people already cash in MR at the low rate, so no incentive to fix!).

But I think the ED, and more especially the EDP, will take share from PRG, if and when enough people educate themselves.   And having a free transfer card might even put pressure on the CSP, if the partners work for you, ED is in many ways a more valuable card than that.

People really underestimate ED card, its the only non af card out there that can transfer to airline partners and hotel partners. Chase doesn't have one of those cards, neither does citi. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 7 of 24
Josh2942
Established Contributor

Dont even get me started on ridiculous amex annual fees. The gold and the green dont make any sense and they will be canceled. I only keep my CSP and Hyatt. I value the free night at 200 minimul and I value the CSP 1:1 transfer ability making it worth the AF for me. AMEX not even close

Jaguar F-Type R Loan 50K Balance
Goldman Sachs Signature Loan $29,000 TU 750 score pulled at time of loan.
Student Loan Debt $1,500
Credit Card Debt $300 1>% of $166,700
FAKO Transunion 723 Equifax 744
What's in my wallet? Chase Sapphire Reserve, Chase Freedom Unlimited, and AMEX Blue for Business
Message 8 of 24
370Z
Frequent Contributor

It's very simple. Spend 30k+ to get the 15k bonus, which is worth more than the AF if redeemed for travel.

EQ8 817 (2/24) EQ9 850 (1/24) EX8 837 (3/24) EX9 842 (3/24) TU8 819 (3/24)
Chase_Hyatt|10k|15.24%|6/13 * Amex_Hilton|10k|13.99%|8/13 * Chase_IHG|10k|15.24%|1/14 * Chase_Ink$|12k|13.24%|5/14 * NFCU$|46k|9.65%|12/14 * Amex_ED|10k|12.99%|1/16 * Citi_Custom$|45k|15.24%|4/16 * Merrill+|68k|12.99%|2/17 * Amex_BB+|10k|15.24%|3/18 * PenFed_Pathfinder|29.4k|12.74%|9/18 * WF_Autograph|25k|16.99%|7/19 * AODFCU_VS|22k|7.49%|4/20 * Chase_Ritz_Carlton|48.5k|15.99%|10/21 * Amex_BB$|42k|13.24%|8/22 * Redstone_FCU_VS|10k|12.00%|6/23 * C1_VX|30k|14.74%|1/24
Gone: CSP, AA x3, Ink+, Premier, CSR, CFU, CF, AARP, Limitless
Message 9 of 24
wHiTeSoL
Valued Contributor

Here is one thing to consider that I didn't when I first got these cards. I ran out of gas twice this year and got a flat once, of course the first thing I did was call the CSP line. They could send someone out right away to help me out: at $70-$80 each time. I hung up and called AMEX, they covered all three times for free under the PRG. 

Message 10 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.