cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

any card has 5% for for restaurant all over the year?

tag
bigblue7722
Valued Contributor

Re: any card has 5% for for restaurant all over the year?

lowes has a great selection of gift cards. Tons of different places to eat and lots of different retail stores. Great way to spend with chase freedom or discover

AMEX PRG NPSL,Lowes $17000,Capital One venture card $12,000,Us Airways mastercard $9500,Fidelity Amex $9000, Discover it $8000, Capital One Venture One $7500, BOA 123 rewards $7500 CSP $6000, Capital One Quicksliver $5500, Amazon Store card$5000,Barclay
Card Ring $5000 Chase Marriott $5000,Chase Hyatt $5000, Sallie Mae Mastercard $4400, Paypal smart connect $4000,Chase Freedom $3200, Capital one Quicksliver visa $3000, Chase IHG Rewards $2300, Chase Southwest Premier $2000, Citi Double Cash $1500, AMEX BCE $1000

Last app July 22nd 2015- No apps for two years.
Message 21 of 33
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@s_haliz wrote:
The 2% rewards value applies only to points redeemed for a deposit into an eligible Fidelity account. The redemption value is different if you choose to redeem your points for other rewards. 

Right, but no really much of an issue.  You can open a free Fidelity Cash Management account, which is better than many bank accounts, deposit in there and ACH to anywhere.  So it's not as much of a restriction as say Arrival having to redeem for travel.

Message 22 of 33
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Christina_xyt wrote:

i never know that i can buy gift cards in a grocery store???

Yes.   It depends on your spending patterns: with Sallie Mae you have a lot more spend available at Amazon, so if you are not using it all, and they have your gift cards there, that's a good approach.  With capped cards, spending on gift cards takes away from spending on other stuff, but if you are not fully using your "bookstore", or grocery or gas Sallie Mae monthly amount, you can try to buy gift cards at any one of those places.

Message 23 of 33
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Bman70 wrote:

@Christina_xyt wrote:

@Bman70 wrote:

Is there any reason you don't want the Cash+, with the option to choose 5% restaurants each quarter?

Just that it's too difficult to get approved I think?? I feel that i might not be able to get it soon? Not that i don't want to use it. was just trying to see if there's a card easier to get approved.

Like cap 1 quicksilver visa, without the af one.. It's 1.5% Cash back.. but i heard that it's more diffiult to get approved than fidelity amex (which is actually better with 2%).. so i went for fidelity instead..

Congrats on the Fidelity Amex. I see you have the Sallie as well. I haven't tried this yet, but Amazon has many restaurant gift cards. The Sallie might work for those, although it only gives 1% on streaming movies... So I'm thinking gift cards might be 1% as well. I almost always get 10% veteran discount at restaurants, so not too motivated to try the Sallie Smiley Happy

Sallie Mae does get 5% back on gift cards at Amazon.  And, since they are sold by an affiliate, unlike other Amazon purchases, no sales tax on them in MA!

Message 24 of 33
Bman70
Established Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Bman70 wrote:

@Christina_xyt wrote:

@Bman70 wrote:

Is there any reason you don't want the Cash+, with the option to choose 5% restaurants each quarter?

Just that it's too difficult to get approved I think?? I feel that i might not be able to get it soon? Not that i don't want to use it. was just trying to see if there's a card easier to get approved.

Like cap 1 quicksilver visa, without the af one.. It's 1.5% Cash back.. but i heard that it's more diffiult to get approved than fidelity amex (which is actually better with 2%).. so i went for fidelity instead..

Congrats on the Fidelity Amex. I see you have the Sallie as well. I haven't tried this yet, but Amazon has many restaurant gift cards. The Sallie might work for those, although it only gives 1% on streaming movies... So I'm thinking gift cards might be 1% as well. I almost always get 10% veteran discount at restaurants, so not too motivated to try the Sallie Smiley Happy

Sallie Mae does get 5% back on gift cards at Amazon.  And, since they are sold by an affiliate, unlike other Amazon purchases, no sales tax on them in MA!

Really? Are you sure (have bought them)? Because ACI is an affiliate, not 'Amazon' per se. I know the streaming movies give me 1%. And I thought Amazon regular (cash equiv) gift cards didnt get 5% either. But I'm satisfied if just restaurant cards do.. Texas Roadhouse here we come Smiley Happy

EX 822
TU 834
EQ 820

Message 25 of 33
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

@Simba501 wrote:

Sounds like too much work.

+1 

that is how I  feel and therefore hate the gift card option..rather give up a few bucks  in rewards ..lol

Message 26 of 33
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Bman70 wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Bman70 wrote:

@Christina_xyt wrote:

@Bman70 wrote:

Really? Are you sure (have bought them)? Because ACI is an affiliate, not 'Amazon' per se. I know the streaming movies give me 1%. And I thought Amazon regular (cash equiv) gift cards didnt get 5% either. But I'm satisfied if just restaurant cards do.. Texas Roadhouse here we come Smiley Happy

Yes, bought a lot of Whole Foods cards (on both Sallie Mae and Citi Forward)  And just checked again: 5/18 $100 at amazon (this was 2 $50 WF cards), points = 500.

Message 27 of 33
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@lg8302ch wrote:

@Simba501 wrote:

Sounds like too much work.

+1 

that is how I  feel and therefore hate the gift card option..rather give up a few bucks  in rewards ..lol

I think it depends on a number of factors.   So if you regularly go to restaurant X, (once a week, once a month) and they sell the gift cards at your regular supermarket/gas station/drug store (depending on your cards), buying one or two when you shop isn't that much of a deal (IMO!).   Now if you have to drive around to find a place that sells the card, then yes, probably too much effort for the reward.

But just remember, probably most of the public feel the same way about deciding which cards to app for and to use for any transaction, just get the QS/Fid Amex and be done!

Message 28 of 33
physicist82
Regular Contributor

@Christina_xyt wrote:

@SunriseEarth wrote:

@Bman70 wrote:

@Christina_xyt wrote:

@Bman70 wrote:

For that matter, you could use Sallie Mae at a grocery store to get restaurant gift cards.

i never know that i can buy gift cards in a grocery store???

Heck yeah they do. Walmart does too but eh. We have a Smith's (Kroger) and they do 2x their gas rewards points on gift cards and during giving holidays they do 4x. So if you have a Kroger affiliated store with the gas rewards you could use your CC with 5% to buy the giftcards and get the gas points on top of it too. 

Message 29 of 33
barbaralee
Established Contributor

I appreciate this thread. My husband and I are getting ready to go international for a month so we are using Arrivals. Once the AF hit, though (in December) we were going to change cards. We basically have 3 big categories: gas, groceries, eating out. We figured the Sallie Mae card would take care of gas/groceries, but we were looking for something for  restaurants. I hesitated with US Bank because I heard the site is ancient and customer service is offshore and not helpful. I like the idea of restaurant gift cards, but that boxes us in to certain places, but I suppose we could just get a visa prepaid card... Ugh, decisions, decisions. Hubby just wants to get the US Bank card... I don't have to call into customer service that often, but when I do I don't want to deal with shoddy service. 

Message 30 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.